PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight

brian
2003-02-02, 14:04
Having a base pack load of less than 12 lbs:

But like all things- this can be debatable.

Brian

Redleg
2004-09-12, 01:43
Anyone with a pack that weighs more than 2 oz's less than your's.
jaf

Connie
2004-09-26, 02:13
ULTRALIGHTWEIGHT

Here is my August, 2004 Big Four:

GoLite Breeze pack, w/Metolious Rope Ranger rope bag shoulder straps
Gosamer Gear NightLite Sleeping Pad (torso length)
Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #7 sleeping bag
Outdoor Research double bug bivy, in a silnylon stuff sack

USPS postal scale 3 lbs. 9.2 oz.

The PostMistress said, "My purse weighs more than that."

Here we are in September, and I am still sleeping out-of-doors in that sleeping bag. I felt chilly enough some nights. I awoke and put the covers over my head entirely: I am still using this sleeping bag as a "quilt". Then, I got too warm and found I was most comfortable with a breathing passage only, otherwise head fully covered.

My neighbor said, "It was 30 degrees last night. There was frost."

I HAD started wearing my Mont Bell ZeoLine 3D Zip-shirt to bed. I only wear that on cold nights. I do wear clean socks on those cold nights.

This sleeping bag is rated for comfortable temperature at 50 F and minimum temperature of 37.4 F however I find I am too warm at 50 F and I sleep with only few adjustments to how I am covered up at 30 F.

I had a hi-low temp and hi-low barometer near my bed to check performance of the sleeping bag. I did feel cold when there was wind directly on the surface of the sleeping bag, however with a windbreak in place I was sleeping warm again.

DaleT at a forum elsewhere said everything I had said about a "warm meal" was just "digestive" ingredients, or easily digested food, and digestion keeps me warm. If that is so, and I do know I have good digestive fire, then "good digestion" is an important component of sleeping warm.

I really thought this sleeping bag was only going to be my "summer" ultralightweight gear. I am finding out I can sleep warmer at lower temperatures.

There are times, I inexplicably feel cold in the evening, before turning in for the night. I drink a little water. I jump in the sack. I throw the covers up over my head, and very soon I am too warm, adjusting temperature all over again. This is supposed to be a "summer" ultralightweight sleeping bag. :)

BTW I used my Rope Ranger shoulder straps. I have found out the shoulder straps are also sold separately. I find these shoulder straps more comfortable and more lightweight.

Connie

SGT Rock
2004-09-26, 08:34
The fact that you can use a light sumer bag as a 30 degree bag is great. I sleep cold and lament that all the time. I have a 6 year old that gets hot in 40 degree weather with a 50 degree bag in a hammock - I wish I could be like that some times, imagine the weight savngs.

Connie
2004-09-27, 23:44
I was surprised. I think this particular sleeping bag and the inner material has something to do with it. The down just settles around you. There are no big dead air spaces to heat up.

DaleT says digestion produces the heat.

I thought it was "hot flashes". :angel:

cldphoto
2004-09-29, 12:03
This sleeping bag is rated for comfortable temperature at 50 F and minimum temperature of 37.4 F however I find I am too warm at 50 F and I sleep with only few adjustments to how I am covered up at 30 F.

I had a hi-low temp and hi-low barometer near my bed to check performance of the sleeping bag. I did feel cold when there was wind directly on the surface of the sleeping bag, however with a windbreak in place I was sleeping warm again.

Connie,

You throw me off when you say "bed." Are you using only the "Big Four" setup you described, or is this with an actual bed?