PDA

View Full Version : Bread on the trail

offshegoes
2003-01-08, 14:03
Anyone ever make any kind of pan bread or any other kind of buscuits or any thing on the trail. I know some people will say that thru hikers are too tired or whatever to go through the energy of doing such a thing but there's always so many different opinions here I was wondering if anyone has done this.....or seen thru hikers who have?

Grimace
2003-01-08, 14:09
We carried bagles and occasionally a loaf of bread. Didn't make any on the trail though. AS you said. Too tired to move....

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 16:33
i like to make corn fritters...i get the mix at a local co-op here in atlanta..just mix with water and then fry like pancakes ...during berry season i add berries and some times i take the berries and cook'em down and drop the mix in and boil'em like dumplings.

also for bread I sometimes use stuffing mix ...stuffing mix is really just dehydrated bread..I like the cranberry kind...

Peaks
2003-01-08, 17:28
Thru-hikers keep the cooking real simple. Ramen, Lipton, Mac & cheese., freeze dried.

Haven't seen anyone do pan bread or bake biscuits.

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 19:46
I saw a couple who made corn bread with their alcohol stove. They wanted the corn bread to go with their chili. :D

You don't have to do the Ramen/Liptons/Mac and cheese thing. There are plenty of dried foods that are easy to carry and taste better.

Try looking for the Fantastic Line of dry foods. They are usually in the natural/health section. They have a mean Veggie Chili and Veggie Sloppy Joes mix. Carry some english Muffins to dip in the chili or put the sloppy joes mix on, and Yahoo! a meal that doesn't start with R, L or M. :D

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 19:49
Originally posted by offshegoes
Anyone ever make any kind of pan bread or any other kind of buscuits or any thing on the trail.

If you want to try out some great pan bread, try this company. www.cachelake.com Their Pizza bread is to die for! Their products are a little expensive, but worth it for a treat now and then.

They promote their products more to the Boundry Waters Canoe camping thing, but would still work for hiking as well.

Ann
2003-01-08, 20:23
The chili that PushingDaisies is referring to is called
Cha Cha Chili and it is very good and very healthy.
Here is a link that gives you the nutritional breakdown:http://www.truefoodsmarket.com/chachachilhe.html

(I have NEVER ordered from the above link, just provided it for a reference to general info about the product.)

If you can locate a food coop near your home you'll be all set.
I order it by the case (12) servings from the food coop I belong to
and usually pick it up when it's on sale. I dump out the cups and repackage it in ziplock bags, all you have to do is heat up water and dump it in, then wait for it to dehydrate. There are a lot of
Fantastic Food items that can be purchased in bulk quantities. I'm not sure if that is one of them but I'll take a look at my Northeast Food Coop Catalog and see. They make other good/healthy food items that are much more reasonably priced than the dehydrated stuff you buy in stores like REI.

As for the bannock bread, I have a standard recipe that I add items to such as; Italian seasonings and garlic, cinnamon and raisins and sugar, cheese etc. If you are interested in the recipe I'll post it. Honestly, if I were hiking alone I would not do it. (I'm ONLY a weekender/multi-day person so it's not as much of an issue for me, I only do it to keep hubby well fed and happy...sometimes food for him can make a difference on how enjoyable his weekend or vacation goes.) When I plan on bread I take the Trangia 25 which is NOT the mini...I have more control over the distance of the flame and can cook at a much lower heat than on the mini Trangia...there is a learning curve on cooking pan bread.

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 22:55
Originally posted by Ann
The chili that PushingDaisies is referring to is called
Cha Cha Chili

Nope. It's Called Vegetarian Chili on the box. Maybe it's different for bulk.

Moose
2003-01-08, 23:01
Only carried bread once, to bulky. Always carried tortillas instead. Used the small ones for lunch and the large ones for dinner. Good to help fill up that hole that develops in your stomach about 5 PM.

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 23:16
I buy a veggie chili mix in bulk at a local food co-op...I carry it in bulk ..i don;t try to break it down into single servings ...I also get bulk noodles that are made with veggie colors the multi colored spirals ...I carry these in bulk too..along withthe curried lentil mix and the split green pea soup..and they have great corn chowder mix..maybe have some veggie chili over some stuffffing ..that 's pretty easy...do some multi colored veggie spiral noodles and curried lentils..mmmm..with olive oil and some garlic(dehydrated garlic add in while cooking noodles)

and then for dessert...dessert is important...ideas????

offshegoes
2003-01-09, 01:05
Yeah I have an idea for dessert.... get some mini marshmallows....about a handful....take half of some kind of chocolate bar...regular chocolate or with almonds or something and crumble up two or threee graham crackers....put in all in a ziplock and throw it in a pot of boiling water for a few mins.....mush it around and eat it out of the bag with a spoon!

offshegoes
2003-01-09, 01:09
I wasn't really thinking I'd do too much bread making on the trail I was just curious if anyone did. I'd like to once in a blue moon but not as a reqular thing.

I love fantasic foods! have you tried thier veggie burger mix? It's awesome. I use it with ramen and spaghetti sauce (powder or dyhdrated) yum!

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-09, 01:26
or for dessert..

take some dried mango and boil in some water for a few minutes and then mix up some bisquick drop in and boil to make dumplings ..reduce and drizzle on some honey..kinda takes care of the bread thing too..works good too if you you can pick some wild berries later in the season..

Dough balls
dough balls
rolly-poly
dough balls

yum yum
eatem up!

EarlyRiser
2003-01-09, 18:07
i made pizza on the trail once, with flour yeast and water to make a dough pretty simple, but time consuming. really delicsious though. the inside was still a little doughy after cooking but was surprisingly good, maybe i was just hungry i dont know. had to use a pan to make it though, it might work in a bowl, itd just be harder to eat.

PKH
2003-01-21, 15:39
Commercial stuffing mixes make a nice bread substitute. Well, they are basically just bread of course. They won't go mouldy* on you and they don't weigh a ton. These come in a variety of flavours* and they're all pretty good. Just about all of them call for a couple of tablespoons of margarine or butter - not absolutely necessary but this will vastly improve the taste and texture. Margarine keeps very well on the trail, even in fairly warm conditions. Butter tends to go rancid a bit quicker. Bacon fat or cooking oil would also serve I'm sure. The mixes are OK on their own - surprisingly good for breakfast - but I like to combine them with dried ham or sometimes salt cod. The cod is a Nova Scotian cultural thing. It's also very easy to make up your own mixes using more or less the same proportions you find in commercial versions. A bag of dried bread chunks and crumbs, a handful of dried veg, spices to taste, a small pack of chicken or beef oxo and you've got a nice change from noodles and rice.

*Please forgive my Canadian spelling conventions. It's just the way I've been trained.

Cheers,

PKH

pobbie
2003-02-10, 19:06
I have made coffee cake and biscuts on my pop can stove so far hope to make more stuff. turned out OK but use aluminum that is thick do not use titaniun-it is way too thin.

PKH- I personally like the Canadian spelling

SGT Rock
2003-02-10, 20:59
Whole wheat tortillas are great, you can wrap anything in them and it tastes good. Another great thing was getting lots of yeast rolls at an AYCE. The smash easy, but they taste exactly the same, they kick ass with some Lipton's minestrone.

Blazer
2003-02-25, 00:16
Being more of a camper and less of a hiker, I can tell a few things to cook with a fire. Hikers make fires occasionally, don't they? (I really don't know, I'm new to the hiking thing)

Bread on a stick, as done in Scouts. We used Bisquick, mixed it rather thick, wrapped it around a stick with the bark peeled off. If you brought the powder in a ziploc baggie big enough for mixing too, then when you're done that's all you have left.

Bacon and eggs in a sack. I suppose if you go thru a town and you want to treat yourself for breakfast you can run through the grocery store and grab some eggs and bacon. wipe the bacon on the bottom of a paper grocery sack to help it handle heat, put the bacon in the bag and carefully cook over the fire! take the bacon out, leave the grease in, cook the eggs with it.

If you want to do that trick where you wrap something in tinfoil, bury it, then build a fire over it to cook it, but don't want to bring tinfoil because you're hiking, then wrap it in wet leaves instead.

Of course, if you're /really/ into ultralight hiking, how about just foraging for some grubs and wild honey! mmmmmmm...

pobbie
2003-02-26, 18:48
wrap food in grass and leaves tightly and then cover in mud and throw in coals
you can also make eggs in orange peals by cutting the orange in half taking the rind off in one piece and cracking the egg in the rind and set it on the coals

jumpngeorge
2003-02-27, 00:55
Pita bread is fairly indestructable. I really crave bread on the trail and it does the trick for me...

atraildreamer
2006-07-15, 03:56
Anyone ever make any kind of pan bread or any other kind of buscuits or any thing on the trail.

I got a small non-stick Imusa frying pan at a Hispanic grocery store. It is great for making trail bread!

Take 1 cup of flour, corn meal, whatever, mix in 1-1/2 tsp of baking powder.

Add water to make a stiff dough- fry up in pan for bread.

Add more water for a looser mixture and make pancakes.

Add cocoa mix and sweetener (sugar, Splenda, whatever), and powdered milk to the basic flour mix and bake/fry up a chocolate cake. :eating:

Frolicking Dino
2006-07-15, 16:28
I have made pan bread and done some baking over a fire using the dutch oven technique. While bread cooked this way does not brown, the bread tastes the same as home cooked.

Turk
2006-07-15, 19:06
For any tolkien fans out there ... (actually how can you be a hiker and not
have read tolkien? I think it is synonymous).
I've made a cram bread cake, I got from a LOTR fan site. Easy to make,
similar to biscuits you get in the grocery store, but much heavier,
and sweeter. Can be made individually in a pot even as small in diameter as
the MSR titan kettle or the snowpeak mini solo. Each biscuit brick is about
5000 calories (when made in snowpeak mini solo pot) and will keep for
weeks. Recipe can easily be prepared in one zip lock bag (just add water),
and used as desired on the trail.
They are a whole world better when you can throw in wild rasberries or
blueberries picked along way. Dip and soak em in a hot mug of tea or
coffee in the morning and I am good to go until a late evening supper.

Frolicking Dino
2006-07-15, 20:54
http://www.patriotresource.com/lotr/pics/characters/saruman.jpgYou must give me this recipe.

Take-a-knee
2006-07-15, 23:52
Blazer beat me to the bannock recipe for stick bread. Don't use black cherry for the stick, it, and, I believe, a few others can be poisonous.

KLeth
2006-07-16, 02:18
I've done Pizza in the Trangia: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1686
Also we've frequently made Bannock og now we are doing cornbread since the dough is easier to prepare.
We always bake/fry the same way with the pot-in-pot principle.

I would also like the cram bread cake recipe :biggrin:

atraildreamer
2006-07-16, 03:05
I have made pan bread and done some baking over a fire using the dutch oven technique. While bread cooked this way does not brown, the bread tastes the same as home cooked.

Imusa also makes a small aluminum (weighs about 2 ounces) paella pan, w/cover, that can used as a dutch oven. :)