PDA

View Full Version : Bread storage

generoll
2009-03-23, 21:17
I'm wondering about a way to pack soft foods such as bread without ending up with a ball of dough. I'm wondering about using thin wall pvc pipe with pipe caps as a food container. Does anyone know if 6 or 8 inch pvc is made with thin walls? The schedule 40 stuff seems a bit like overkill. Not to mention overweight.

Bulldawg
2009-03-23, 21:21
I'm wondering about a way to pack soft foods such as bread without ending up with a ball of dough. I'm wondering about using thin wall pvc pipe with pipe caps as a food container. Does anyone know if 6 or 8 inch pvc is made with thin walls? The schedule 40 stuff seems a bit like overkill. Not to mention overweight.

Well pipe might work for you. Not sure about getting caps for well pipe, but it is not as large as schedule 40. If your bread you are storing is not large. You can use one of these maybe?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/gridlox/Geocaching/laysstax_combo.gif

I put tortillas in them, along with whatever else will fit!!

generoll
2009-03-23, 21:55
hadn't thought about tortillas, but that's a good idea. I was kind of thinking in terms of bagels. Those are pretty tough, but you can smash em if you try hard enough.

Bulldawg
2009-03-23, 22:05
A smaller sized bagel might fit in those, but it wouldn't hold but 2 or 3. Not sure if it would be worth fooling with for 2 or 3 bagels.

If you're doing bagels, why not just tie a string through the holes and tie them to the back of your pack??:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

:bird::bird:

Bilge Rat
2009-03-23, 23:08
How about a kids plastic lunch box? Light AND fashionable!

generoll
2009-03-24, 00:40
not a bad idea, really. can I get one with Pamela Anderson on the cover?

Gaiter
2009-03-24, 01:16
if its just for a short hike, look in grocery store isles, there are sometimes little plastic sandwhich boxes....

Wonder
2009-03-24, 09:49
I like those Hawaiian rolls you can get at the grocery store. They're little enough to stay fit in the lays can, and are GREAT with chicken salad!

warraghiyagey
2009-03-24, 09:57
I like those Hawaiian rolls you can get at the grocery store. They're little enough to stay fit in the lays can, and are GREAT with chicken salad!

When you eat that do you call it Wonder Bread??

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Wonder
2009-03-24, 10:05
hardy, har, har har.........:biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2009-03-24, 10:23
you what is really sad - I didn't get the joke until I re read it for the third time

Blade
2009-03-25, 11:42
Last year I brought some hotdog buns into the backcountry by putting them into a plastic bag, and then into a cardboard tube from some gift wrapping. Kept the buns fine, and the tube made firestarter after the bread was gone.

vonfrick
2009-03-25, 11:50
how about cutting two 2-liter soda bottles off just below where they start to taper in at the neck. then you make a small slit in one so that you can slide it inside the other. i make these "capsules" every year with my students to use as cheap ice cream makers. (fill with ice and salt and ziploc with cream, sugar, etc. and shake). they come out pretty rigid, fairly watertight and should be lighter than using pvc i imagine- and free!

Wonder
2009-03-25, 12:34
Even for things other then bread, I love the Lays can. When I left town, I would fill it with Triscuts and little cheese tubes I got from minimus.biz.....after that ran out (usually, quickly) I'd fill the tube with my snacks for the day, and keep it tucked at the top of my pack. One of my favorite pieces of "equipment"

Bulldawg
2009-03-25, 12:35
Even for things other then bread, I love the Lays can. When I left town, I would fill it with Triscuts and little cheese tubes I got from minimus.biz.....after that ran out (usually, quickly) I'd fill the tube with my snacks for the day, and keep it tucked at the top of my pack. One of my favorite pieces of "equipment"

Yeah, i am thinking you are the one that put the idea in my head sometime back.:albertein:albertein

urbansix
2009-03-25, 14:36
What about those "disposable" tupperware-type containers from Ziploc or Glad. Ready made and fairly lightweight; come in all different shapes and sizes.

Superman
2009-03-25, 16:07
In the spring and fall when the temps are cool I carry a large loaf of bread, cold cuts and a squeeze bottle of mustard. It depends on which pack I use but in one pack I put the bread in the mesh that goes around the back of the pack. In another there is room to put the bread on the top inside the pack. If those options don't work I put the bread in a light weight mesh bag and tie it to the top of my pack and secure the bottom of the mesh bag to a strap. The only time I squashed my bread is when I put it insde the pack in my food bag and another time I forgot it was there and layed back on my pack as I took a break. My trail meals generally suck but the cold cut sandwichs are the best I get.:angel:

saimyoji
2009-03-31, 08:01
try liquid bread = BEER.

Cannibal
2009-03-31, 11:32
What about those "disposable" tupperware-type containers from Ziploc or Glad. Ready made and fairly lightweight; come in all different shapes and sizes.
That's what I use and they work great! I sometimes get on a PB&J kick. When I do, I'll make up a few of them and throw them in those containers; they ride very nice in the pack and don't squish. Nice to be able to whip out a pre-made sandwich and start munchin!