PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

chief
2003-02-06, 14:54
Just got a call from a friend.

A lady well known and loved in AT circles, Annie McDuff was killed today while riding her bicycle on a local highway. Her husband Larry was with her. For those who don't know, she is Annie of "Annie And The Salesman". I think they are best known for the talks they have given, numerous times, at trail days. In addition to their multiple thru-hikes of the AT, they pretty much every year hike into Damascus for Trail Days and they've thru-hiked the PCT, probably others too.

This is particularly upsetting to me because they live in my town. I first met them in 2000 on a cold, rainy night in the smokies. Since then, I frequently see them around town and we always wind up talking about the AT and backpacking in general. Last I saw them was at a chili cook off, last year. Really nice people and a wealth of hiking knowledge!!

Anyway, I thought I should let you guys know. Some of you must have met them. - Chief

SGT Rock
2003-02-06, 15:58
I didn't know her, but I'm sorry to hear of it. I guess this happend down in Fair Hope?

Dean
2003-02-06, 18:32
Very sad news and my condolences to her husband. I had the chance to follow their PCT journal entries as they did the PCT a couple years back and I really respected the way the two of them worked together and enjoyed their efforts as a team. Great couple and I am very saddened by this tragic news. She was a special person.
Here is a link to their journals.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=702

chief
2003-02-06, 19:39
Originally posted by SGT Rock
I didn't know her, but I'm sorry to hear of it. I guess this happend down in Fair Hope?

yeah, not far from my house. i just can't understand people using that road to bicycle. it's heavily traveled (shortcut from I-10 to the beach), 2 lane and with a 55 speed limit!

chief
2003-02-06, 19:49
Originally posted by Dean
Very sad news and my condolences to her husband. I had the chance to follow their PCT journal entries as they did the PCT a couple years back and I really respected the way the two of them worked together and enjoyed their efforts as a team. Great couple and I am very saddened by this tragic news. She was a special person.

yes she was. they are sort of local celebrities down here. i remember an article larry wrote for a local paper. it described how each time he and annie returned from a long distance hike, they would toss out more of their stuff because they were used to living a simple life on the trail and realized all the material things they had accumulated just served to complicate their lives at home.