PDA

View Full Version : An easy handle for the Gatorade Cozy or a Can-pot

Joker
2009-05-20, 03:16
The first home made stove/can pot combo that I came up with had what I considered a defect,...the only way to grab the pot was with a multitool or while wearing gloves. I was really wanting a handle that wouldn't get hot, and I didn't see a real purpose in buying one of those pot grabbers. After fiddling around a bit, I came up with a solution that works for me, and adds very little weight.

All I did was use a paper punch to put 2 holes on opposite sides of the can about 1/4 inch from the top rim. Then I took a wire coathanger and cut myself an 8 inch long piece. I bent this into a rough U shape, then bent about a 1/4 hook onto the two ends of the wire. Now I can use this to lift my can-pot very easily, plus it stows inside my pot with just a little bending.

I liked the idea so much, I put two holes in my Gatorade cozy and can use the same handle with it.

Joker

Saint Alfonzo
2009-05-20, 14:24
Thats using the old gray matter...Welcome,,Joker..

Rosaleen
2009-05-29, 16:49
How large is your can-pot? I have built up a couple of silicone pads (hi temp RTV) on my 12-oz can/pot so that I can pick it up and pour or drink from it. A larger pot might be too wide for this to work as well. My Gatorade cozy flexes enough that I have a parachute cord "handle" on it. Works for me.

Rosaleen

Joker
2009-05-29, 23:20
I'm actually using a Progresso Soup Can as my canpot which is a little over 2 cups capacity. In fact I use the topmost embossed "ring" on the can as my 2 cup measuring point.

Many of my "dinners" take between 1.5 to 2 cups of water to prepare, so that works out good. Then breakfast (instant oatmeal usually) only takes a cup or less of water and the remainder is for making a hot steaming mug of "go juice".

Rosaleen
2009-05-29, 23:30
I find it easier to carry a 12 oz recycled Goya Vienna sausage can for my pot. If I need more than about a cup of water, I heat more. Most of my dinners are precooked and dehydrated, and require about 1.25 cups of water. I can heat that much or just about a cup and pour in a little extra water from my water bottle after the food sits a bit. In summer, I can get by with one hot meal per day, and use just 1/2 of an Esbit or one Coghlan's tablet. A cold instant coffee "mountain latte" can take care of my caffeine as I pack up. Keeping my pack weight down makes the hike more comfortable, so I skip the hot coffee until town or back at a vehicle...

Rosaleen