PDA

View Full Version : wind and tarps

DebW
2003-02-13, 15:48
Any of you hammock campers ever have problems with keeping your tarp anchored in high winds? I set up the tarp that came with my Crazy Crib earlier this week when we were expecting some snow. The snow didn't seem to be a problem, but I left the tarp up for a couple more days as I was sick and didn't feel like going out to bring it in. We had some strong winds one night and the next morning 5 of the 6 guy lines had pulled out of the snow. Seems this would be pretty inconvenient if one were sleeping under the tarp. Admittedly I'd set the thing up in a windy spot as a test, and the rectangular tarp was broadside to the wind. Snow was about 1.5 feet deep, and I'd packed it down and inserted 9 inch plastic T-shaped stakes like I always use in winter. I'd let the snow set around the stakes before tightening the guylines. I believe this would have held fine for a tent which was flush to the ground, but with the tarp edges 3 feet above the ground, forces were obviously greater. Any suggestions? I could of course use long sticks rather than 9 inch stakes, and bury them horizontally a foot under the snow. Anyone have problems with stakes in dirt? When it rains, dirt can soften up and stakes loosen.

flyfisher
2003-02-21, 08:50
Setting up broadside to the wind is the right way to get it up I believe. Depending on the winds, you may want to get that upwind edge right down to the ground and get the whole system as close to the ground as you can.

I have occasionally set up the hammock so I occasionally brush the ground. Usually I get up and readjust it to be higher, but in high winds, occasionally touching the ground may not be a really bad thing. (Thinking outside the box here... something between a real hammock set-up and a bivy sack set up.)

<><

Wander Yonder
2003-02-21, 15:34
Deb, I don't know how the Crazy Crib sets up, but on my Clark, I have long ties attached to the grommets of the tarp. I also carry 4 tiny 10" bungies. I can make a loop in the ties at any point along the length of the cording, then I attach a bungie and attach it to nearby tree trunks or branches (low to the ground if the weather is bad) or to fallen logs, rocks, or whatever is available if the ground is too hard, clayey, rocky, etc. for stakes. (Don't have any snow experience.) The bungies also have some give so the wind is not so rough on the tarp itself.