PDA

View Full Version : Trail Difficulty

INTREPID
2003-02-13, 19:05
I DON'T HAVE FULL USE OF MY RIGHT HAND. UNABLE TO OPEN IT WITHOUT USING MY LEFT TO ASSIST. I CAN GRIP OK WITH IT. I COULD NOT REACH OUT WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND GRAG SOMETHING LIKE A TREE BRANCH OR ROOT. ARE THERE ANY PORTIONS OF THE AT SUCH AS MAHOOSUC NOTCH, KATAHDIN, ETC THAT I COULD NOT HIKE OR CLIMB. THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

INTREPID

SGT Rock
2003-02-13, 19:46
Going up Albert Mountain in NC might present a problem, but all the other trail I have done (south of Blacksburg) wouldn't be a problem.

I can't speak of anything north of the Audie Murphy memorial, and there are sections south of that I have not hiked yet.

DebW
2003-02-13, 20:22
Katahdin would be a problem - there are iron rungs that you must grasp. Also, there are places in Vermont and the Whites where there are ladders in the trail to get you up something that would otherwise be almost unclimbable. They are generally not steep ladders, so you could most likely get up with one hand if you have good balance and your pack isn't too heavy.

chief
2003-02-13, 21:06
i concur with sarge and deb about albert mtn and katahdin. also there are a couple of places in NY (harriman state park area) similar to albert mtn, where you need to use hands to climb. although i haven't tried it, i believe most all can be climbed one-handed if needed.

Justme
2003-02-13, 22:06
I will agree with the other posts here, I think you may have a small problem at Albert Mt., however, as DebW writes it is going be a much more difficult problem once you are in New Hampshire. I am not saying you can't do it, but just plan to take a lot of time, and extra caution up there. Albert Mt. is nothing to what you will be doing in New Hampshire and Maine. Good luck and I sincerely wish you the very best..

Sincerely,

Ed

Hikerhead
2003-02-14, 01:20
Close to Catawba Va heading north, coming down from Dragons Tooth you might have to do a little butt sliding but you should do ok.

Lugnut
2003-02-14, 01:32
Dragon's Tooth has two or three iron handholds on the north side. Would not be a good place to fall but should be doable for you.

Lone Wolf
2003-02-14, 11:00
You will have no problem hiking any part of the AT. A man named "One Wing" hiked the trail one year. He had one arm. Bob Barker hiked the trail 3 years in a row in the mid 80s. He had MS and was on crutches. Bill Erwin of course was blind. He dealt. Folks with 2 arms have no business saying you'll have problems. You'll manage just fine.

Lugnut
2003-02-14, 12:14
I think people with two arms should be entitled to offer their opinions here without being slammed. It was a legitimate question and the replys were reasonable. That's what this forum is a about, I think.:p

INTREPID
2003-02-15, 12:57
DON'T BE TOO HARD ON THOSE WITH THE TWO GOOD ARMS LONEWOLF. THEY ARE GIVING ME THE FEEDBACK I NEED TO PLAN, AREAS WHERE I MIGHT NEED TO TAKE ADDITIONAL CAUTION, MORE TIME, ETC. YOUR COMMENTS ARE HELPFUL TOO IN GIVING ME THE CONFIDENCE THAT I CAN HIKE ALL PARTS OF THE AT. MANY THANKS TO ALL.

INTREPID

SGT Rock
2003-02-15, 13:08
I don't think I ment to imply you couldn't fo it, that was just the only area I figured someone with one bad arm may have trouble.