PDA

View Full Version : Fuel

ran90
2009-06-18, 19:31
I have be wanting to hike a large section of the PCT and was wondering what types of fuel can be bought along the way. I know alcohol is fairly common but are there place to buy sterno along the way. The only reason why i ask is because i want to try and buy the food along the way and not have supply drops.

What might be the pros to using canister fuel or white gas?Cons?

what do you recommend?

warraghiyagey
2009-06-18, 19:51
I'd try coal. . . you can get it anywhere along the PCT and it burns forever if you bring enough. . .

Jim Henderson
2009-06-24, 13:35
By PCT do you mean Pacific Crest Trail? If so, between what cities?

In General, if you are hiking in California on or near the PCT, most country stores will usually have Coleman white gas and 1# bottles of Propane.

Those stores that are on the routes to main trail heads will also often have the standard threaded cans of butane mix.

An alternate may be to use one of those small wood burning stoves, ZIP? stove. I hear good things about them, only drawback appears to be soot and ashes in the pack.

If you hit any cities, you might also be able to get gallon cans of methanol and 5 gallon cans of kerosene.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

ran90
2009-06-24, 22:18
I have failed at boiling water with the cat stoves. I have tried the 30z and 5oz type along with the basic ones. With the cat stove i try using the .5fl oz of fuel aswell as 1floz of fuel, and no boil. Not sure what i am doing wrong. I have a wind screen and stand. Any tips?

Austin
2009-06-24, 22:24
I have failed at boiling water with the cat stoves. I have tried the 30z and 5oz type along with the basic ones. With the cat stove i try using the .5fl oz of fuel aswell as 1floz of fuel, and no boil. Not sure what i am doing wrong. I have a wind screen and stand. Any tips?

Lower the pot until the flame is still just on the bottom but not wrapping around the sides. 2 cups of water.

Bulldawg
2009-06-24, 22:33
A windscreen is the key. Just enough air gap to draw air underneath it and expel some up the sides.

Gaiter
2009-06-25, 10:58

Use heavy duty tin foil to make a wind screen you can fold it up to firlt nicely

ran90
2009-06-25, 17:50
OK so i finally got water to boil, 2 cups in 4 min, not bad. I fixed the wind sceen and also raised the pot stand. I still haven't gotten a boil with 3 soda caps full but i am happy with the amount i burn, around 4-5 caps full.

Oh yeah sterno...well that take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to boil two cups of water.

Jim Henderson
2009-06-26, 17:12
Re-read the original email. Guess you wanted to know about availability of Sterno.

That is hit and miss. Some stores have it some don't. lot's of gas stations will have a few cans of sterno for picnickers. They also sell Heet or something to dry out gasoline that has water in it. I thinnk Heet is almost pure alcohol, but it can be expensive. Some of the country stores also sell sterno in the picnic section.

As far as pros and cons of what kind of fuel, Coleman has a website that goes into this a bit...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/choose_fuel.asp

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

ran90
2009-07-01, 15:02
I got the chance to talk to some thru-hikers on the PCT and most used alcohol stoves. From there it was a toss up between ebit stoves and whitegas.