PDA

View Full Version : Wind Screen

ran90
2009-07-06, 05:37
Ok so i have used the cat stove on two hikes so far. I really dont think i can improve the stove all that much. My wind screen isn't all that great, but it works. What do you use for a screen and where do you buy the material?

I cant think of any improvements to the stove, i boil 2 cups in 3-4 minutes at elevation, and a roaring boil at 5-6. The only thing i did was slightly close the burner air holes, this increased the burn time. Also for my pot stand i used wire that cover gutters. This wire get red hot and i think help heat the pot...maybe. Anyway i could be happier with the stove.

TVP in mac and cheese isn't all that bad :biggrin:

ran

dixicritter
2009-07-06, 10:10
Craft store... tooling foil (http://www.dickblick.com/products/two-tone-tooling-foil/). Works great! It is what we used to make the windscreens for Rock's Ion Stoves when we were making them. I can't tell you how many windscreens I've made...LOL.

Or just get some really heavy duty aluminum foil and punch some holes in it.

Gaiter
2009-07-06, 12:51
Ok so i have used the cat stove on two hikes so far. I really dont think i can improve the stove all that much. My wind screen isn't all that great, but it works. What do you use for a screen and where do you buy the material?

I cant think of any improvements to the stove, i boil 2 cups in 3-4 minutes at elevation, and a roaring boil at 5-6. The only thing i did was slightly close the burner air holes, this increased the burn time. Also for my pot stand i used wire that cover gutters. This wire get red hot and i think help heat the pot...maybe. Anyway i could be happier with the stove.

TVP in mac and cheese isn't all that bad :biggrin:

ran

wait a minute.... you have a pot stand???? which type of cat stove are you using, that could be your problem with boil time, most cat stoves are their own pot stand, they rely on the pot sitting on top of them to create pressure

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/2824860127_6e37aacfab.jpg

Ray
2009-07-06, 13:38
wait a minute.... you have a pot stand???? which type of cat stove are you using, that could be your problem with boil time, most cat stoves are their own pot stand, they rely on the pot sitting on top of them to create pressureThat's the so-called "Super Cat". The original Cat Stove, and it's much improved offspring the "Kitten Stove", are not pressurized side burners.

Gaiter
2009-07-06, 14:32
ah, learned something new, but still screw that, i'm sticking to my supercat..... its just one can, no potstand needed (gotta keep it simple)

Ray
2009-07-06, 20:37
Ok so i have used the cat stove on two hikes so far. I really dont think i can improve the stove all that much. My wind screen isn't all that great, but it works. What do you use for a screen and where do you buy the material?Ran - using a modified, smaller version of the cat stove I have had good luck with a combination wind screen / pot stand made of aluminum roof flashing and picture hanging wire (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5831&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=1030&cutoffdate=-1), both from Home Depot.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/3/0/step9-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5831&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=1030&cutoffdate=-1)

ran90
2009-07-06, 21:09
I use rocks cat stove design. It works well but now that i see another i must compare the two.

Ray- That wind screen look like awesome, i was thinking of something like so i doesn't tear. Does that roof flashing fold?
Is the tooling foil roll up nicely and is fairly tear proof?

Thanks for the help, ill have to get back on the cat stove compare.
Gaiter what is you boil time?

Ray
2009-07-06, 22:51
I use rocks cat stove design. It works well but now that i see another i must compare the two.

Ray- That wind screen look like awesome, i was thinking of something like so i doesn't tear. Does that roof flashing fold?
Is the tooling foil roll up nicely and is fairly tear proof?

Thanks for the help, ill have to get back on the cat stove compare.
Gaiter what is you boil time?The roof flashing won't tear and it rolls rather than folds. I either roll it around my fuel bottle or, with a shorter screen version, curl it inside my cooking pot. The picture wire supports are attached on one side and detachable on the other.

Gaiter
2009-07-07, 00:10
Gaiter what is you boil time?

don't know don't care, not many parts, its quick and it lite and its hard to fuck up

Joker
2009-07-07, 17:14
don't know don't care, not many parts, its quick and it lite and its hard to fuck up

Its hard to argue with that....

On a sidenote I'm planning to test out my version of the "Fauxbaker" this next week (along with the new tent).

Basically, all I did was punch some holes in the bottom of one of the larger cat food cans. Inverted (open side down) this fits perfectly inside my Evernew 750 ml pot (uhhh,...ok that was ANOTHER new purchase).

Basically though, I'm gonna try making some Bisquik Biscuits to go with some powdered eggs and country gravy (with the obligatory Tabasco, of course).

Got the idea from Trailcooking.com (used to be freezerbagcooking.com).

Joker

ran90
2009-07-08, 21:27
I have found now that boil times between the two is so close it doesn't matter... i mean to wait a minute tr two longer...no big deal. So super cats and rocks cat stove are fairly close in boil time. Nice to know because the super cat is so easy to make. I even tried a super cat with just making holes with a knife, works ok but in a pinch it works.

Just started cooking with TVP, man i love this stuff!
Baking on the trail...that sounds awesome, talk about a moral boost!

JERMM
2010-12-31, 10:18

:congrats::congrats::congrats: