PDA

View Full Version : Simple food for packing??

flyfisher
2003-02-18, 11:34
I am beginning to come up with several simple to buy (Its always there in a little store) and easy to pack/cook food choices.

Oatmeal, potatoe buds, rice, noodles, "moose goo" (peanut butter/honey/dried milk on soft taco shells) are on the menu so far.

I have started a page with simple recipees for this kind of food. I would love to learn of some other food to put up there and to try on training hikes.

See:
http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/ultrafood.htm

Rick <><

hafdome
2003-02-22, 06:39
I found dry corn chowder and split peas at a natural food store. I add freeze dried vegies and jerky and olive oil (thanks Sgt. Rock) for a really good meal. It cooks fast and is pretty light. It is in the bulk food aisle. It scorches easily when cooking. Instant rice would add variety also. The Bear Creek dry soup and chili mixes are really good. I eat them at home sometimes. The store brand versions might work also. Hafdome

Redbeard
2003-02-22, 20:06
Olive oil doesn't seem to fry up as well as corn or veg oil, even in cast iron, I'd guess thin camping gear is even worse.

hafdome
2003-02-22, 20:48
Redbeard,

I should have been more specific. Put 2 to 3 cups water in cookpot, add vegies, jerky, and olive oil. Bring to boil, stir in chowder or split pea powder, heat for another minute or so, than place in pot cozy. The oil is for taste and extra calories.

I burned the mixture when I used the Esbit type fuel. The flame was real concentrated on the bottom of the pot. I am trying to figure out some sort of flame diffuser that will work without losing the heat production. Hafdome

Don
2003-02-23, 10:45
You might check out the selection of dried vegetables, spices, and soup mixes available from Suttons Bay Trading Companay. They are on line...so a google search for the name. I've used their tomato powder (add to soup or mix with water to make paste or sauce), dried green peppers and dried jalapeno peppers among other things...I've been please with quality and price...they sell in a variety of quantities and ship very quickly....

Redbeard
2003-02-23, 12:42
Currently I'm also using Esbit, but I usually boil the water, then add the ingrediants after the tab is done. The noodles only end up crunchy occasionally:p I try to get the thinnest and easiest to rehydrate of everything, but this can be limmiting, and is certainly not for someone who want's good food. I've tried Sgt. Rocks idea of soaking noodles before hand, (thick restaurant style) but they wound up tasting raw :confused:

fly.fast
2003-02-23, 16:21
I hate washing dishes. I package my own food in vacuum bags (or freezer bags) and rehydrate those meals that need it in camp. For breakfast I enjoy granola as a hot cereal. Along with the portion of cereal, I add about 1/3 a cup of non-fat dehydrated milk. For breakfast, I heat 2 cups of water, one for coffee and one for the cereal. Just pop open the cereal bag, pour on the water, and it's an instant hot cereal. Added nuts, gorp, or raisins all provide some variety. Everything stays in the bag with very little trash to haul out.

flyfisher
2003-02-23, 20:16
For Redbeard,

I also tend to cook the water and then add everything else. From multiple sites I have learned the value of a cozie for cooking everything from macaroni to spagetti to rice.

I have a cozie for a little gatorade bowl/cup made of the scraps of an old ensolite sleeping pad. They go together real well with contact cement.

So I boil the water and then throw it into the cup in the ensolite cozie. 10 or 15 or 20 minutes later (depending on how long the stuff was to boil) I open it up and it is done. I find that I need to keep it in the cozie almost twice as long as it was meant to boil... M&C takes about 10-15 minutes to make the noodles not taste "al dente".

I also built a cozie for the pot itself which will work really well, but then I can not turn around and heat water for coffee.

Different trips, different tricks.

<><