PDA

View Full Version : Wood burning stove

ran90
2009-07-16, 21:36
I have been using the cat stove for a while and everything is working great, haven't messed with anything other than the wind screen. I took a look at making a wood burning stove out of a soup can.

I used some of brand tall soup can for the stove. Instead of the one large smoke/feeding hole i used three slightly smaller holes to spread the flame around the pot more. I used a church key to make air holes right at the bottom, all the way around the can. The stove works! I boiled water in 7 minutes! This required work to get it to boil this fast, like feeding air into the stove. I did boil water without blowing air into in and it took about 9 minutes. The main problem is the as blocking the air holes. I am working on trying to solve this problem.

Also i used a slimfast can that is a lot smaller and it too boiled water in about 8 minutes.

Here are the problems so far:
1. Ash blocks air way
2. You will get a little ash in the water
3. ash will get in your pack if not washed
4. Not as small as othe stoves

Will post pics later after i try and figure out the ash problem

ran90
2009-07-17, 00:40
I made two stoves one out of a slimfast can and one from a tall soup can.
Both boil water in about 8-9 minutes. The smaller can would take up to 10 minutes.
The ash is a big problem, not so much blocking the air holes but in my pot. I need to get a better fitted pot lid so ash doesn't get in the pot.

Anyway i plan on testing it in the field. I am still liking the cat stove more because how easy it is to use.

Bulldawg
2009-07-17, 21:55
I made two stoves one out of a slimfast can and one from a tall soup can.
Both boil water in about 8-9 minutes. The smaller can would take up to 10 minutes.
The ash is a big problem, not so much blocking the air holes but in my pot. I need to get a better fitted pot lid so ash doesn't get in the pot.

Anyway i plan on testing it in the field. I am still liking the cat stove more because how easy it is to use.

How about some more pictures, like the inside, etc. and how you use this thing. I've been thinking about trying a wood stove.

ran90
2009-07-18, 16:46
The pictures are of a stove design that doesn't work nearly as good as the first picture. The holes in the bottom are made from a church key and go all around the bottom of the stove. Then there is a fuel feeding hole at the top. I would cut a hole directly on the other side of that hole but not as big in the same "V" type cut. You can try using one feeding hole first then add another if you like. The only other thing i want to try is making the air intake holes at the bottom bigger.

The best boil time was 7 minutes( with 2 cups of water, with work). The average seems to be close to 9.
By blow air into the intake holes the fire burns hotter, but uses more fuel. Its not as simple as an alcohol stove, but it cool. My friend is working on a very large version of this stove to boil bigger volumes of water.

Using the stove is similar to using to charcoal starter for a bbq. Add tinder the on top smaller fuel and when the fire gets going hot bigger fuel pieces. Its very important to clear the intake holes and also blow air into them when lighting.

ran90
2009-07-18, 16:47
i forgot the pictures above are of a slimfast can, the tall soup can works much better.
The church key holes at the top didn't not work, they were to small.
I also used three "v" hole on the tall soup can, one being the fuel hole and the other two being the exit holes, worked nicely.