PDA

View Full Version : Supershelter?

ODer
2009-08-07, 15:24
I'm about to order my first hammock (HH explorer ultra). I know, I said in my previous thread that it wasn't in the cards for this season but I caught the bug and can't let go.

I plan on being out quite a bit in the cold weather. I've spent countless hours over the last couple days reading here and in other forums about staying warm in the hammock. Lots of great info. It sounds like a lot of personal preference and variables that are specific to an individual.

My question is do I need the supershelter to stay warm at 30* or less? I'm accustom to sleeping on the ground with my thermarest, 0* mummy, and a biv sack.

Is the undercover worth the $140 or can I achieve similar outcomes with a space blanket, cc foam, and 0* bag?

Is the overcover necessary or can I simply throw on another layer in my bag?

Again, I know this varies depending on the individual but some input would certainly help. Thanks again.

peter_pan
2009-08-09, 10:57
Read the BGT reports on the HH SS.... If you want to be out at 30 or below there are better, hassle free approaches.

Pan

ODer
2009-08-09, 18:21
Thanks for the input for both this thread and the GI thread. Sorry, I'm fairly new to this? What's the "BGT report"? Do you have a link?

generoll
2009-08-09, 18:30
Sgt. Rock probably has the best info on hammocks and cold weather. My view is that you need to be prepared to go to ground in sub freezing weather. As you noted there are a lot of personal views on this. Try to test it out at home if possible before you head out.

ODer
2009-08-09, 18:42
Pan- I found the BGT report. About to readit, thanks.

generoll- I've been soaking up every bit of info I can including Rock's. I will certainly have a few dry runs before I take it out for real. Thanks

Cannibal
2009-08-10, 13:43
Is the undercover worth the $140 or can I achieve similar outcomes with a space blanket, cc foam, and 0* bag?

Is the overcover necessary or can I simply throw on another layer in my bag?
Depends on what convenience means to you. The SuperShelter with overcover is a nice no fuss system. Yes, you can achieve the same (or very similar) results by using a combination of this and that, but the SuperShelter system kind of locks it all in place for you. The overcover is a great temp boost for very little weight. I've used overcovers with great success in very cold camps. This winter will be my first testing the SuperShelter to see how low it can go, but I've read dozens of posts from folks taking them into the low teens in relative comfort.

I don't see them performing as well as an underquilt at low temps due to the breath-ability issue, but for the cost they are a pretty good deal. The pad is a bit fragile in the pack and one major drawback may be the fact that it won't function as well on other hammocks. Underquilts are nearly universal and should serve you well as your hammock progression continues and don't require replacing the pad every so often. In the long run I think an underquilt is a much less expensive option, but up-front...it's hard to beat the cost benefit of the SuperShelter.

Hikerhead
2009-08-12, 23:47
Take a look at the Clark Jungle Hammock North American. I've had mine for about 8 years now. Had it out in the 20's a few nights with just the 1/4 closed cell foam pad that came out of an old pack that I switched into my ULA pack along with a 10 degree WM bag, it did fine. It's a little pricey but I can't say enough good things about it.
http://www.junglehammock.com/