PDA

View Full Version : backpacking library

sundog
2003-02-19, 20:05
What is in your backpacking library? I would include alternative media as well. Don't forget to include the stupid stuff that you don't want people to know about. mine is as follows, and I recognize their are holes, but I am working to fill them.

Guide to Texas trails
Arkansas hiking trails
Buffalo river trail guide
Ouachita trail guide
Wilderness images
(last four by ernst, one of my heros.)
Walk in the woods.
Rains of Eridan, HM Hoover. Old Sci Fi. Read it when I was a kid, it is what got me into Backpacking.
Camping secrets (don't know the author, like it for some different non traditional applications.)
Chris townsends Backpackers handbook. (mines old.. like 9 years)
Subscription to Backpacker Mag (current)
Subscription to Outside (let it lapse they started to annoy me)
National geographic.
Guide to north american birds
Key to Texas Reptiles.
North american mammal key
a copy of the "best of John Denver" don't laugh I know most of you have it too.
a copy of Neil Youngs "harvest moon"
a copy of James Taylors "greatest hits"
A copy of "the edge" (I know full of really dumb stuff, but don't you feel smart when you watch it?)

thats all I can think of right now, I know I need a lot of other books, but I thought yall might be interested. I keep all of my BPer mags, and the books on the same shelf.

-sundog

steve hiker
2003-02-20, 01:46
This is real incomplete, but:

Walking the Appalachian Trail, Larry Luxenburg

Walking Home, Kelly Winters

The Wild Bird's Song, Jim Coplen

ATC Thru-Hiker's Companion (on order, 2003 ed.)

Walkin' on the Happy Side of Misery, Junius Tate (on order)

Field Guide to Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushrooms, Gary Menser

A Walk in the Woods, Bill Bryson

Deliverance, James Dickey

Abduction: Human Encounters With Aliens, John Mack, M.D.

Peaks
2003-02-20, 09:16
My library includes the AT guides and maps, several books written about the AT by thru-hikers and others (like Bill Bryson), and hiking guides for other areas that I have hiked, such as the ADK's.

flyfisher
2003-02-20, 14:03
All good entries above.

What would I add?
Ray Jardine's book
A Year in the Maine Woods
Singing Wilderness and anything else by Sigurd Olsen
Ed Speer's Hammock Camping

<><

hafdome
2003-02-22, 05:49
Pacific Crest Trail-1 and 2
Continental Divide Trail, official guide-Colorado, Montana, Wyoming
Guide to the CDT, James Wolf-Northern and Southern Montana
Pacific Northwest Trail Guide
The Colorado Trail Guidebook
Falcon Guides-Montana, Glacier and Waterton Lakes, Wyoming's Wind River Range
Pacific Northwest Hiking
100 Hikes in Washington's South Cascades
Mount St. Helens Trail Guide
Pacific Crest Trail Handbook and Beyond Backpacking
Lipsmackin' Backpackin'
Wilderness First Aid(great info and gruesome wound photos)
Hiking The Triple Crown
The Backpackers Handbook
Mountaineering, the Freedom of the Hills
Complete Walker 4(Colin Fletcher is my original inspiration for hiking)
Wilderness Survival Handbook
Desert Hiking
Wilderness Navigation
Reading Weather and Bear Aware-2 more Falcon guides
A bunch of Backpacker mags
three volumes of Thoreau
Great thread. Until I made the list I didn't realize how long it was.
P.S. buku maps and looking for more. Hafdome

sundog
2003-02-23, 00:10
I forgot my text books...(and others)

Wilderness medical society practice parameters
Field guide to wilderness medicine
Aurbachs wilderness medicine 4th edition
about 2 years of the wilderness medical society journals
Krakauers
into thin air
into the wild
eiger dreams
Brashears, high exposure
Ken Kammlers, Base camp doctor
Frank Herbert "Dune"
Tolkein "well, all of them"

I would also add my jethro tull collection,
Clannads "legend"
the occasional Led Zepplin song (ramble on, over the hills and far away, misty mountain hop, travelling riverside blues, white summer/black mountainside) ok, so a lot of zepplin

I suppose a good side thread would be what songs get stuck in your head while hiking.

-sundog

rickboudrie
2003-02-23, 09:58
I've got a whole bunch, but here are the first six which which I'd replace if everything got lost in a flood.

1. Golden Field Guide to North American Birds
2. AMC Tyvec Maps of the White Mountains
3. Tracking and the Art of Seeing, Paul Rezendez
4. Backwoods Ethics, Guy and laura Waterman
5. Wilderness Ethics, Guy and Laura Waterman
6. National Geographic Guide to National Parks

Rick B

Redbeard
2003-02-23, 12:47
Anything involveing Elves driving racecars, Aliens abducting dragons, barbarians sacking downtown Chicago... Just because you've reduced existence to walking and eating doesn't mean reality is any less relative:p

DesertHkr
2003-03-15, 17:59
If you like desert hiking and backpacking I can recommend The Ultimate Desert Handbook. It's a very comprehensive book on hiking and camping the deserts of North America and the world, everything from hiking advice, clothing, equipment and water treatment to desert hazards, first aid, survival, vehicles and more. Ultimate Desert Handbook (http://www.ultimatedeserthandbook.com)

Sgathak
2003-03-19, 02:07
Tom Browns Field Guide Series
Larry Dean Olsens Outdoor Survival Skills
Henry David Thoreaus writtings
Ralph Waldo Emersons writtings
US Field Manuals: Pathfinder Operations, Ranger Unit Ops, Amphibious Ops, Long Range Surveillance, Airborne Ops, Riverine ops, Survivability, Cold Weather Survival, Water Survival, Survival handbook (Army), Survival Handbook (Air Force), Map reading, Topographic symbols, Tropical Skin diseases, First Aid training, Camouflage, Sniper training.
Lotus Sutra
Bagavad Gita
Frank Herberts Dune
Brian Herberts Dune prequels
Maps

SGT Rock
2003-03-19, 14:21
I just got the book "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" and I absolutly love it. I'm only up to about the north end of Mt Rogers area where he is hiking with his son, but I can't stop laughing at the stuff he writes. I even read some of the book to my family as we were doing some long car trips (it is a family tradition with us) and the everyone was so into the book they all want to read it after I'm done so can get the whole story. Without a doubt one of the best Thru-Hike stories I've ever read.

tomwyo
2004-03-08, 16:28
As a westerner (Wyoming) I enjoy: Edward Abbey " Desert Solitaire", "Brave Cowboy" "Beyond the Wall" "Down the River" "Black Sun" "One Life at a Time, Please", "The Monkey Wernch Gang" "Hayduke Lives" so far; also essays of Wallace Stegner and his biographgy of J.W. Powell; Collin Fletcher's "1,000 Mile Summer" and "The Man Who Walked Thru Time" and "Complete Walker IV" and history of west Lewis & Clark (Ambrose)Jim Bridger, Crow Killer, Journal of a Trapper, Fremont's report and Powell's report. The topography of the west dominates the literature and backpackers out west must be concerned with finding water.

tomwyo
2004-03-08, 16:30
As a westerner (Wyoming) I enjoy: Edward Abbey " Desert Solitaire", "Brave Cowboy" "Beyond the Wall" "Down the River" "Black Sun" "One Life at a Time, Please", "The Monkey Wrench Gang" "Hayduke Lives" so far; also essays of Wallace Stegner and his biographgy of J.W. Powell; Collin Fletcher's "1,000 Mile Summer" and "The Man Who Walked Thru Time" and "Complete Walker IV" and history of west Lewis & Clark (Ambrose)Jim Bridger, Crow Killer, Journal of a Trapper, Fremont's report and Powell's report. The topography of the west dominates the literature and backpackers out west must be concerned with finding water.