View Full Version : the most important development in backcountry cooking ever

sundog
2003-02-24, 00:52
CHILPOTLE TOBASCO SAUCE

(with a side of prevacid)

-sundog

flyfisher
2003-02-24, 10:35
Or, if ultralite packing, take a tenth of a bottle of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" and limit intake to 1 drop a day.

semisolo
2003-02-24, 13:38
the habanero version!!!!!!!!!
or...
the garlic version....
or....

da Bomb............, (do a taste test with that one and dave's insanity....WOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, hooooooooooooooooooooo)

sundog
2003-02-24, 16:33
we just got the chipotle version (smoked peppers) up here, and it is fantastic. I have a new favorite condiment, I hope they will keep this one up for a while, or at least let me know if they are ever going to quit so I can buy a couple of cases before they do.

Right now I am trying it out on every thing, (well, except ice cream)

-sundog

p.s. something quite a bit lighter and only available on the internet is the costa rican sauce "salsa lizano", I just got three bottles in the mail the other day. My costa rican wife was thrilled.
unfortunatly it would be very heavy considering how much you need per meal, but still very tasty.

SGT Rock
2003-02-25, 22:54
I have to agree with Semisolo, da Bomb is hands down the absolut hottest stuff I have ever eaten. I think a 1 ounce bottle of that stuff could last for a month on the trail, but I don't care for the taste as much as Habenero Tobasco.

GrizzlyBear
2003-02-28, 17:36
I haven't seen the Chipolte Tabasco, in my neck of the woods, but y'all piqued my curiosity, so I checked Tobasco.com. Ya' can get it all, there - even six-packs of Tabasco miniatures. I thought they might be good for packing, but think they wouldn't serve my purpose. I use more than 1/8 oz. on an egg.

Check out the site. It's very colorful.

semisolo
2003-03-01, 12:10
I got a couple of those teeny bottles from my mom for Christmas along with some other cooking stuff and I didn't even get a softshell tacos worth out of one of em... Bring on the Habanero, baby.

atraildreamer
2006-12-27, 20:40
I saw a bottle of hot sauce that goes by the name: "HELL". :hmmmm2:

I haven't worked up the nerve to try it, yet. :afraid:

JAK
2006-12-27, 21:29
Doesn't some of that stuff get unstable once the shelf life has expired?

Frolicking Dino
2006-12-27, 21:51
This thread could turn me into a fire-breathing dino..... I just carry some dried red pepper flakes and dried Habenero flakes - add a few pinches to our meals for heat.

dixicritter
2006-12-27, 23:20
One of Rock's Uncle's makes some homemade salsa that's just insanely hot so I'm told. One of them he named Damnation, and the other was Oh My God What Have I Done!

I'm personally a hot sauce wimp.... mild is almost too hot for me. LOL.

deadeye
2006-12-28, 13:17
Yeah, I scored a bottle of TAbasco Chipotle last week when I was searching for a replacement for my expired-and-no-longer-made-brand. Good stuff. I'll bet you can dry it and carry the flakes rather than a bottle.

Chipotle goes fantastic on sweet potatoes (it's trooo!). Just cube the taters, steam for about 20 minutes, and mash with some butter and Chipotle.:bandit: (don't try it with other peppers, not the same taste combination)

Lanthar
2007-01-02, 11:38
Wanna pack as much punch into weight as possible? Buy some capsaicin crystals (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chez-williams.com%2FHot%2520Sauce%2Fhothome.htm&ei=NXyaRY70NJvWgwSXtMz9AQ&usg=__1FLvXje-c_p9c5X1eTXbRA07xrc=&sig2=Squ-gk6F2l_e99PEgvSe9w)

Iceman
2007-01-03, 00:45
MOTHER OF CREATURES BIG AND SMALL, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!!!???

A JIGOWATT OF HEAT IN A BOTTLE!

SOUNDS SCARYFUN! :evil: