PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Gap to Erwin

trippclark
2003-01-08, 16:40
My hiking partner and I started at Amicalola in October 2000 and have been trying to do 4 - 5 short outings each year ("short" because of job and family commitments, not because we would not rather do more).

Anyway, our last outing ended at Sam's Gap in September, and after 4 months we are both itching to do the next section. It looks like the way things are laid out we could do the Sam's Gap to Erwin section in two very short weekend trips (one Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap and another Spivey Gap to Erwin) or one longer 4 day trip and do the whole thing. We usually prefer 12 - 15 mile days when we have full days and not more than 5 or 6 miles on the last day because of travel time back home.

Who is familiar with this section? Would we be ridiculously foolish to do this in January or February? We did Blood Mountain in January and it was 14 degrees and that was a bit cool in my 20 degree bag! I figure if we watch the weather and get a "warm snap" I'm ready to go!

Beyond the weather and the probable foolishness of a mid-winter trip, what highlights or tips do you have for this section? THANKS!

Tripp

Lone Wolf
2003-01-08, 19:06
I've done the section a bunch of times but never in winter. BUT y'all could get a warm stretch of weather. No major climbs in this section. Big Bald is really bald! Really nice hiking. Have at it.

trippclark
2003-01-08, 23:07
Thanks for the info; sound great. I am REALLY BALD TOO!!! :D