PDA

View Full Version : PrAna Tenaya women's pants

Kanga
2009-12-09, 10:27
Personal Information:
Name: Kanga
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 150 lb

Brief Background: I have been long-distance backpacking for over 25 years. My longest continuous section is 650 miles. I go on several week-long trips every year and at least one or two weekends a month. My style is lightweight and compact but with a strong emphasis on luxurious comfort. Summer baseweight is around 11 lbs, winter baseweight is 20lbs.

Product Information:

Manufacturer: PrAna
MSRP: US $68.00
Year of manufacture: Fall 2008
Material: 97 Nylon / 3 Spandex
Weight (as stated): medium
Weight (measured): 10.7 oz (303.34g)
Colors Available: Camel, Lake, Black, Metal, Taupe, Stone
Sizes Available: S-XL

Product Description:
Tenaya Pant - The ultimate pant for cool days on the wall offers abrasion-resistance, full stretch and a low-profile adjustable waistband. Stash extra protection or something to snack on between pitches in the cargo pocket.

Tough enough for a day of bushwhacking and scrambling up scree, the Prana Tenaya Pant for Women has 2-way stretch, incredible abrasion resistance and is quick drying. With a semi-fitted silhouette and a low-profile adjustable waistband, the Tenaya fits like a dream and will keep you comfortable as you make your way down the trail and home again.

Initial Report:
April, 2009
I did a good bit of research online before buying the pant because I am very picky about the way my clothes fit and that translates to trying it on before buying. The pants seemed like exactly what I was looking for, however there was not a retailer near me. I bit the bullet and bought them online. Upon arrival, the pants fit like a glove. The inseam sat perfect and did not hang in the (non-gusseted) crotch area, which can cause chafing on me. The material was very comfortably stretchy and allowed for the same range of movement as a pair of shorts would. The waist band is lined with thin, soft black felt-feeling material and has a hidden belt of small webbing built in on the outside, no belt loops. The one cargo pocket on the right thigh is roomy and has a snap closure. The two back pockets are also snap closure and sit low. At the time I bought these pants, PrAna was still selling them as S, M, L, XL. Since then, they have changed the sizing to the even numeric system (i.e., 2, 4, 6...). If I had to guess, I would say that the medium that I bought sits right around in the 6-8 size range. The inseam is longer than most pants (mine measures 33" even though it is advertised at the normal 32"). I have long legs and a short torso and they hang right at about an inch above my shoe soles - perfect. They say low waist but it's really just a hair below normal, for those rare souls who actually like pants to sit above their buttcrack.
Two things concerned me when I first tried on the pants: the metal rivet button for the closure - I don't like things poking me under my hipbelt (there is also a flat metal hook closure) and the boot cut bottoms. They were a little wider than necessary, giving the pants a bellbottom feel, but they will fit any boot. Then again, you're in the woods, so who cares?

Field Trips:
Summer/Fall 2009
I have taken these pants out on several weekenders over the last 9 months and they also went with me to Katahdin and into the 100 mile wilderness. They have been put through a range of conditions, including rain, heavy dew, briars, dogs, swamps, and hot, baking sunshine. Temps ranged from below freezing to around 90*F. I have even worn them on car trips because they are so comfortable and don't seem to know what a wrinkle is.

Observations:
Upon actually wearing the pants I can agree with PrAna's claim that they are an unbelievably accommodating and comfortable action pant. There are absolutely zero moving restrictions with these pants. They performed perfectly on technical rock scrambles, did not bind or slow me down in any way. In the higher temps, the felt waist band felt itchy to me when I was sweating. It mentally irritated me a little bit, but it didn't leave a mark so I can't mark it as a serious con for me. Once I got moving, I never even felt the metal button waist closure or the snaps on the back pockets. I felt the thigh cargo pocket while hiking but it did not rub so after awhile I got used to it. The pants were worn through undergrowth and briars and though they occasionally caught, there are no picks or tears anywhere on them. These pants never rode up on me and the fit never changed, even after days of wear, which had been a concern for me given the spandex percentage in the pants.

Long Term Report:
December 2009
I consider these to be my only go-to hiking pants and travel pants. I forsake all other pants for these and continually search for sales, looking for more. They are extremely breathable and did not hold onto smell even after days of wear in the hills. 10 minutes after getting out of the rain, these pants are dry. There is no stretching out or sagging, no picking, no bunching, no bad stuff at all, just pure velvety stretchiness...

warraghiyagey
2009-12-09, 10:54
No Warrghy. . . leave it alone. . . . .

Bulldawg
2009-12-09, 11:01
Bad Warghhy!! Sit, stay!!

warraghiyagey
2009-12-09, 11:02
I Know! . . . :argh::angel:

saimyoji
2009-12-09, 11:04
There is no stretching out or sagging, no picking, no bunching, no bad stuff at all, just pure velvety stretchiness...

this is my favorite sentence. :beer:

taildragger
2009-12-09, 11:13
Awesome review, are you going to submit it to backpackgeartest.org?

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 11:25
5'6" ? Do you wear spikes? :angel:

warraghiyagey
2009-12-09, 12:18

That's what I meant to say. . . .

Kanga
2009-12-09, 12:21
There is no stretching out or sagging, no picking, no bunching, no bad stuff at all, just pure velvety stretchiness...

mine too!

Kanga
2009-12-09, 12:22

i hadn't thought about it. how do i do that?

Kanga
2009-12-09, 12:23

huh?

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 12:30
huh?

tall is good... that's all

who did you write such a detailed review for? surely not the 10 readers here.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 12:34
yep, this is where i will write my reviews. my girls are all here and most of the stuff i review is women's specific. if people want to read them, they will have to come to hhq.

Austin
2009-12-09, 12:35

Pervert...

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 12:38
that's fine, but that is a some impressive writing that deserves a wider audience,,, er targeted to more readers. Try taildragger's suggestion and go here...

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 12:43
Pervert...

I took this test to find out... pretty much pegs me :angel:

http://www.the-jokes.com/tests/cartoon-character.php

You are Peppe le Pew (without the smell).

You are a lover. Romance, flowers, and wine are all you need to
enjoy yourself. You are serious about all commitments. A family
person. You call your Mom every Sunday, and never forget a Birthday.
Don't let your passion for romance get confused with the real thing.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 13:02
that's fine, but that is a some impressive writing that deserves a wider audience,,, er targeted to more readers. Try taildragger's suggestion and go here...

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1

i'll think about it. that looks like commitment to me. i am anti-commitment at the moment.

taildragger
2009-12-09, 13:06
It is commitment, but you can eventually get free gear to test because of it.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 13:07
how big of a commitment? i like to write. i might do it for gear. wait. would that make me a gearwhore?

warraghiyagey
2009-12-09, 14:19
yes. . . . you could write for Coke too. . .

taildragger
2009-12-09, 14:23
I think its two original owner gear reviews that are peer reviewed for the format and content. Then after that you're more on your own. If I recall they want you to also help with other reviews when they are emailed out to the group.

It didn't seem that hard to me when I signed up, I just haven't been logging enough hours to really do any good reviews, and I'm not really into gear now that I have my setup.

Hog On Ice
2009-12-09, 16:28

You are Peppe le Pew (without the smell).

You are a lover. Romance, flowers, and wine are all you need to
enjoy yourself. You are serious about all commitments. A family
person. You call your Mom every Sunday, and never forget a Birthday.
Don't let your passion for romance get confused with the real thing.

not a particularly good fit for me - the choices for music were particularly bad

"You are Tweety.

You are cute, and everyone loves you. You are a best friend that
no one takes the chance of losing. You never hurt feelings and
seldom have your own feelings hurt. Life is a breeze. You are
witty, and calm most of the time. Just keep clear of back stabbers,
and you are worry-free."

Kanga
2009-12-09, 16:45
You are Tweety.

You are cute, and everyone loves you. You are a best friend that
no one takes the chance of losing. You never hurt feelings and
seldom have your own feelings hurt. Life is a breeze. You are
witty, and calm most of the time. Just keep clear of back stabbers,
and you are worry-free.

if that isn't the biggest pile of bullshit that i have ever heard...:bike:

cartoon character fail.

warraghiyagey
2009-12-09, 16:47

cartoon character fail.

That's nice language here on HikingHQ. . . skank. . .

Russell
2009-12-09, 17:19
You are Tweet

cartoon character fail.

I ain't no fuckin' Tweety.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 17:33
That's nice language here on HikingHQ. . . skank. . .

thanks, dad..:boring::aetsch:

sheepdog
2009-12-09, 17:37

yep, this is where i will write my reviews. my girls are all here and most of the stuff i review is women's specific. if people want to read them, they will have to come to hhq.

would they be considered a pair of

testees :angel:

Kanga
2009-12-09, 17:43
dork

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 17:44
who turned on the green light?

dixicritter
2009-12-09, 18:38
Looking forward to more reviews Kanga! Thanks for putting in the great work on this one.

Skidsteer
2009-12-09, 18:52
Hell, that review was so good I'm thinking about getting a pair.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 19:16
Looking forward to more reviews Kanga! Thanks for putting in the great work on this one.

:girl: you're welcome. i've got a few more that'll be done in a bit.

Kanga
2009-12-09, 19:17

they're fancy hikin pants. they'll go well with your white heels. :angel:

Tin Man
2009-12-09, 19:17
they're fancy hikin pants. they'll go well with your white heels. :angel:

might clash with the helmet, no?

taildragger
2009-12-09, 19:19
might clash with the helmet, no?

Not unless its after labor day

Two Speed
2009-12-10, 11:43
Hell, that review was so good I'm thinking about getting into a pair.Your wife will kick your ass.

JERMM
2009-12-10, 11:49
thank you ms. kanga

warraghiyagey
2009-12-10, 11:50
thank you ms. kanga

Why is everyone so interested in Kanga's pants. . . :albertein

Hooch
2009-12-10, 11:52
they're fancy hikin pants. they'll go well with your white heels. :angel:And your helmet. :ahhhhh::aetsch:

Tin Man
2009-12-10, 12:36
Why is everyone so interested in Kanga's pants. . . :albertein

... gayest post EVER

Mags
2009-12-10, 12:37
Prana? Say it ain't so Kanga. :(

They make uber-Yuppie yoga shit. They have a flagship store on Pearl St in Boulder and all the "beautiful people" seem to go there on their way back from Whole Foods and before going to the Shambala Center! :)

generoll
2009-12-10, 13:20

I knew it. Skids is trying to get into Kangas pants.

Kanga
2009-12-10, 13:39

They make uber-Yuppie yoga shit. They have a flagship store on Pearl St in Boulder and all the "beautiful people" seem to go there on their way back from Whole Foods and before going to the Shambala Center! :)

mags. seriously. if you haven't figured out by now that i don't give a flyin shit what everybody else is doing, i dont' know what else to tell you. the pants are fabulous and they suit perfectly one of my needs. why would i NOT wear them? i am not going to refuse to wear something i like just cause "the enemy" is. hell, i'll even wear north face if it does what i want it to and i get it cheap.

warraghiyagey
2009-12-10, 13:41
why would i NOT wear them?

. . . because pants are bad. . . . :albertein

Lugnut
2009-12-10, 13:45
Right, down with pants!

Kanga
2009-12-10, 13:45
. . . because pants are bad. . . . :albertein

that's unnerpants, warrghy. get it straight.

warraghiyagey
2009-12-10, 13:49
all pants are bad. . . .

Tin Man
2009-12-10, 13:49
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/45/hama0.jpg

taildragger
2009-12-10, 13:51

Yeah, but the same could be said for marmot, patagonia, and even feathered friends (at least in seattle). Lots of yuppies wear some nice hiking clothes around town for some reason.

Mags
2009-12-10, 14:11
m hell, i'll even wear north face if it does what i want it to and i get it cheap.

Put Prana ain't cheap. :)

Lots of yuppies wear some nice hiking clothes around town for some reason.

But Prana is beyound yuppie. It is Granola New Age Yuppie! ***shudder***

I've been by a flagship store (I'd go in it..and I'd be afraid to smell like Earth Scent Consciousness incense or some shit like that) and I'm afraid.

I've seen the evil...and that fact that someone I know is wearing it is making me Very Afraid.

Look at their website mission statement

"prana is the energy permeating the universe at all levels. It is physical, mental, intellectual, sexual, spiritual and cosmic energy. All vibrating energies are prana… prAna is the breath of life of all beings in the universe.”

Hmm..vibrating energies!!!! AHHHH! Now I know why Kanga is wearing them while she hikes!!!! Breath of line indeed! :D

all pants are bad. . . .

Up with skirts...

Down with panties...

taildragger
2009-12-10, 14:49
[QUOTE=Mags;139787]
"prana is the energy permeating the universe at all levels. It is physical, mental, intellectual, sexual, spiritual and cosmic energy. All vibrating energies are prana… prAna is the breath of life of all beings in the universe.”
QUOTE]

That makes me almost want to get rid of the pRana shirt that my brother gave me, but its so nice as a mountain biking shirt (doesn't look too flamboyant, and wicks sweat nicely, and its a little warmer than my ems tech wick or whatever its called).

But really, yeah, I'd stay out of that store then. Yuppies posing as hippies always scared me and made me glad that I stayed on the western slope most of the time.

Kanga
2009-12-10, 15:03
i still don't care. they can say whatever they want to. i like my prana pants and i'm gonna wear em if i wanna. so there.

Mags
2009-12-10, 15:06
i still don't care. they can say whatever they want to. i like my prana pants and i'm gonna wear em if i wanna. so there.

Vibrating pants that have sexual energy and breathe into you. No wonder why you like 'em!

:aetsch:

Kanga
2009-12-10, 15:11
Vibrating pants that have sexual energy and breathe into you. No wonder why you like 'em!

:aetsch:

:angel:

generoll
2009-12-10, 16:34
Right, down with pants!

up with skirts

Kanga
2009-12-10, 16:49
Look at their website mission statement

that's actually the definition of prana, which is an old sanskrit word that came about 5000 yrs ago to explain life force, still used in india as the term to describe our "vital energy" or what your hippy-wannabe yuppies call chi.

Mags
2009-12-10, 18:25
that's actually the definition of prana, which is an old sanskrit word that came about 5000 yrs ago to explain life force, still used in india as the term to describe our "vital energy" or what your hippy-wannabe yuppies call chi.

First, sine you went through the trouble of trolling the website the quote is from another Granola Yuppie icon. The GY's get their vibrating pants all wet listening to him:

"We like the words of B.K.S. Iyengar, author and yoga guru"

..and the name of overpriced, granola yuppie pants and something the company latched onto to describe their granola yuppie pants and "vision".

Kinda pretentious to name your pants after the mystical source..'eh?

I am coming out with my own clothing line:
TranSubStanTiation

Buy my over priced granola yuppie pants and I'll transform even the Prana customers into a real outdoors person. A miracle! ;)

You don't have to convince me you love your overpriced granola yuppie pants and how wonderful they are. If you like 'em cool.

I'm just a short, ball busting dago who is having a lot of fun at your fragile vibrating pants expense.

:bootyshak

Remember, I grew up blue collar. I would never buy granola yuppie pants OR describe myself as a friggin hippy. :beer:

Isn't Chi a side dish at the take out place???? :D

(All in good fun. If it offends you...tough shit. :) )

Namaste!

Tin Man
2009-12-10, 18:34
Mags' Redneck Pants

You might be a redneck if every time you see a sign that says: “Just Say No To Crack,” it reminds you to pull up your pants.

JERMM
2009-12-10, 19:35
Isn't Chi a side dish at the take out place???? :D

(All in good fun. If it offends you...tough shit. :) )

Namaste!

i thought it was one of these

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hxnjakwmm0g/SNfg1KO4BCI/AAAAAAAAAOo/9d_ENY7_NZk/s400/chia.jpg

Mags
2009-12-11, 15:12
Mags' Redneck Pants

You might be a redneck if every time you see a sign that says: “Just Say No To Crack,” it reminds you to pull up your pants.

Mags Pants? Full of duct tape, stitching and from goodwill. (Curiously, my ski pants look just like that... :D)

i thought it was one of these

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hxnjakwmm0g/SNfg1KO4BCI/AAAAAAAAAOo/9d_ENY7_NZk/s400/chia.jpg

Add some balsamic vinegar..mmm mmm mmm :)

Gray Blazer
2009-12-12, 22:57

They would look good on you.