PDA

View Full Version : Is SGT Rock wasting his time?

SGT Rock
2003-01-08, 00:36
Did SGT Rock do this because he has nothing better to do with his spare time?

SGT Rock
2003-01-08, 00:42
Well, it has been fun. I did more today than I ever planned on doing. I hope tommorrow there are some positive results and I haven't been spinning my wheels. I also hope y'all have some good ideas on what to do here. I'm not a web wizzard, so some stuff that was on the WhiteBlaze will take me time to figure out.

Good night, and I'll see you in the morning.

Lugnut
2003-01-08, 00:53
Sgt Rock, Thank you for grabbing the bull by the balls! I am sure that as soon as the word gets out (which should be quick) we will have 500 members here. If I can be of any help, donations or otherwise, let me know. I thought we had the best site going but we can all be more at ease with a "responsible" administrator.Again, thanks for your efforts.

Rage in a Cage
2003-01-08, 01:09
Sgt Rock, I did not get the chance to post on the other forum, but I am looking forward to participation in this one. Thank you for picking up the ball (or you might say board) and running with it. I'm sure that you are going to get positive results in a very short time. Once again........Thank You :cool:

Redbeard
2003-01-08, 01:19
3 Cheers!

chief
2003-01-08, 01:54
he rocks, i tell ya!

but who the hell are you callin' "junior member", sarge?

The Weasel
2003-01-08, 02:23
Well, The Weasel is back just as this Forum is "back". Hey Sarge? Can we stop marching now, I feel like sniveling for a while!"

Wander Yonder
2003-01-08, 06:50
Thanks, Sgt! :)

DebW
2003-01-08, 09:38
Many thanks to Sgt.Rock for bringing back the forum with only one day of down time! I missed you all yesterday. Thanks also to our old friend EasyHiker for bringing us all together. Easy, may your hike this year be wonderful - hope you make it to Katahdin, and meet the hiker woman of your dreams.

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 10:34
Spare time????..with this forum back ..now I'll have NO spare time!! THANKS

Waterbuffalo
2003-01-08, 12:00
God Bless the Sarge!!!!:D

WB

poison ivy
2003-01-08, 13:31
I just want to say thanks sarge for bringing the site back...

I was lost for a whole day without my usual AT fix...

-- Ivy

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 19:20
Hey Sarge! You Rock!

Ann
2003-01-08, 19:40
Thanks you guys...

I am shocked at how much has been done in this short of a time.
Says a lot for NO SNIVELING!!!!

cell phone-cell phone-cell phone-cell phone- cell phone-cell phonecell phone-cell phone-cell phone-cell phone- cell phone-cell phone cell phone-cell phone-cell phone-cell phone- cell phone-cell phonecell phone-cell phone-cell phone-cell phone- cell phone-cell phone :D

(Take THAT HWMNBN !!!)

Hikerhead
2003-01-08, 20:04
NWMNBN said he wants you to call him...

Do you have his cell phone number?

Footslogger
2003-01-08, 20:46
Rock On !!

Bandana Man
2003-01-08, 22:15
Just want to say thanks to Sgt. Rock and ATTroll for this website. Thanks to Easyhiker for all he did at Whiteblaze, too. You guys are the greatest. Hope all the information in the posts at Whiteblaze can somehow be loaded onto this site. There was a lot of good, helpful information that I was hoping to use in future hikes.

Echo1
2003-02-01, 01:25
Sgt. Rock's site is just right!
Other sites and magazines are too yuppy, too radical, or too "spend lots of your money now".

I checked out his gear lists & food lists and realized he goes the same way I do.
Sgt. is on the right trail.

Redleg
2004-09-12, 02:12
Sgt. Rock's site is just right!
Other sites and magazines are too yuppy, too radical, or too "spend lots of your money now".

I checked out his gear lists & food lists and realized he goes the same way I do.
Sgt. is on the right trail.

Check that!
I'm retired, probably won't ever get over to the AT, Tarp instead of hammock, out here there aren't any organized trails(much).
In spite of that, this is the most usefull site on the internet, BAR NONE.
Rock on Top.
jaf

Connie
2004-09-25, 00:52
absolutely!

I have been finding the "good stuff" right here.

bird dog
2004-09-25, 19:37
Top, your on the right trail. After being away from the mountains for such a long time and stuck in the flats of Louisiana, I found the site to be a good refresher! Keep up the good work

MalTheElder
2005-03-04, 23:30
I suspect Rock has boocoo better things to be doing in his spare time, but I'm glad he bothers with this.

I've learned a lot in the few weeks since I stumbled on this site. I'm massively stoked (for example) that my first soda can stove was successful. I never would have conceived there were alternatives to my old M-1950 and Coleman Peak, nor started my shift from my old, heavy (though still sweet) tent to a hammock/fly setup.

Of course, it will be a long time (if ever) before I get to the AT. Hey, I'm a newbie, with our little, flat Florida Trail being the height of my hiking ambitions at present. I should mention that with my spine, even 60 miles of flats will be a big deal!

I'm almost tempted to offer to start rewriting the site to get rid of all the damn tables to get it in compliance, but that's another project entirely.

Thanks, Top. Please keep it up!

:adore:We're not worthy,
Chuck

SGT Rock
2005-03-05, 09:40
I have thought about re-writing the site myself. I just have a thousand other things to do and I know how much time it took last time I did it. It isn't a favorite with Dixicrtitter.

therob
2005-03-05, 13:56
If you can go 60 miles on the florida Trail, you will be able to tear up the A.T. There is nothing like hiking in Florida sand to get you prepared for anything.

Major Slacker
2005-04-01, 22:39
Thank you, Sgt. Rock, from the bottom of my aching feetů NO, I mean heart. Yeah, heart. ;)

Seriously, though, chronic pain wakes me up and keeps me up many nights. This site has been a godsend.

And now you know why I spend way, way, way too much time thinking about things like poop chips or whatever the hell that toilet paper substitute thingy was.

GregH
2005-04-02, 10:56
...thinking about things like poop chips or whatever the hell that toilet paper substitute thingy was.

But toilet paper is what separates us from the savages! :damnmate:

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-02, 17:04
But toilet paper is what separates us from the savages! :damnmate:
Sadly, from the amount of toilet paper and dung I have seen at trailheads and camping sites, I fear that some people easily revert back to savages immediately after leaving the paved road.

Major Slacker
2005-04-02, 22:09
But toilet paper is what separates us from the savages! :damnmate:Toilet paper certainly separates us from our poop but not necessarily from the savages. I know some very civilized people whose cultures manage just fine without toilet paper. Few can afford to waste so many resources as we do. ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHMMMMMMMFFFFF! OW! (That's cartoonese for biting my tongue and shutting up.)