PDA

View Full Version : British tourist dies in Utah backcountry

cldphoto
2003-03-07, 12:23
A cautionary tale, not necessarily for the folks who subscribe here (that'd be preaching to the choir for most if not all of you), but for good use to warn the less experienced. Short story is that two British tourists rented a 4WD Wrangler and took it on Death Ridge Road through Grand Staircase-Escalante, got stuck in mud and then in snow, and one died of exposure on the hike out.

Cover story: http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Mar/t03052003.asp

Full story: http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Mar/03052003/utah/35218.asp

As several folks mentioned when this article appeared on photo.net, a 4WD just lets you get stuck in more remote places if you don't have the skills to drive it (and the prudence to knowwhen not to drive it). Also drives home the point of always being prepared.

sundog
2003-03-07, 15:27
the way I use a four wheel drive:

Drive as far as you can in 2 wheel drive. If you get to your destination great. If you get stuck, switch to 4 wheel drive and drive home. 4 wheel drive is for getting back, not getting there.

just my opinion.

-sundog

(Grand Cherokee laredo, 4X4 and yes I really do need it.)

Rage in a Cage
2003-03-07, 22:10
I noticed that the first thing the article pointed out was they didn't tell anyone where they were going. It's sad anytime there is a tragedy, but it really drives the point home when you realize that with proper preparation this could have been avoided. How sad.......

Streamweaver
2003-03-08, 00:52
This reminds me of something that happened years ago at a river called Winters run in Harford County MD.2 guys were four wheeling
and decided to try driving in the river. it is a very shallow river(more of a trout stream really) but with rapids and alot of rocks.well it wasnt long before they got stuck and decided to wait for someone to come along and pull them out.Well since it was wintertime our heroes decide it would be best to roll up the windows and leave the truck running to keep warm.Only thing was ,the tail pipe was under water causing the fumes to back up into the cab. Yeah they stayed nice and warm but also ended up nice and dead!!! Streamweaver