PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should I change the BMT Guidebook name

SGT Rock
2009-12-24, 21:01
I've been thinking about the name of the Guidebook I'm working on. Lately I've been thinking the book is more a "Long Distance Hikers' Guide" than strictly a "Thru-Hikers' Guide". I think only about 3 or 4 people I know have ever thru-hiked it in one shot. Most people hike it in big sections. Someone looking to do a big section would want something like this to help plan their trip.

saimyoji
2009-12-24, 21:08
Bad-ass Blue Blazer's Guide to the BMT

dixicritter
2009-12-24, 21:13

There ya go Rock.... LMAO

Russell
2009-12-24, 21:22
I like Blue-blazers Guide to the Southern AT

The Weasel
2009-12-27, 18:39
Call it the "Long Hiker's Guide". "Long distance" is what telephone calls used to be. Better yet, "The Hiker's Guide." That sells itself to all hikers, including those who (so far) only aspire to really long ones. It's simple, short, easily remembered and says (to the buyer), "If you're a hiker, you need this book." Subtitle it if you wish with something like this:

THE HIKER'S GUIDE

A Handbook for Long Distance Hiking

By

"Sgt Rock"

(c) 2009 Ernest Engman. All rights reserved.

When you do, copyright it by using a circle-c or (c) symbol when you refer to it, EVERY TIME. Put a copyright notice on the inside page.

The Weasel
2009-12-27, 18:39
sorry, the "By Sgt Rock" was supposed to be centered too. Can't edit here.

TW

Bulldawg
2009-12-27, 20:28
I can't wait. I looked at the dinky little data book that the BMTA puts out yesterday at REI. Lots of good data in there I guess, but nothing but mileages. I like a book with good info. I'm on the waiting list too!!:beer::beer::bandit::bandit:

SGT Rock
2009-12-27, 20:59
Call it the "Long Hiker's Guide". "Long distance" is what telephone calls used to be. Better yet, "The Hiker's Guide." That sells itself to all hikers, including those who (so far) only aspire to really long ones. It's simple, short, easily remembered and says (to the buyer), "If you're a hiker, you need this book." Subtitle it if you wish with something like this:

THE HIKER'S GUIDE

A Handbook for Long Distance Hiking

By

"Sgt Rock"

(c) 2009 Ernest Engman. All rights reserved.

When you do, copyright it by using a circle-c or (c) symbol when you refer to it, EVERY TIME. Put a copyright notice on the inside page.

There is a copyright notice in the front of it. But I shall try to remember to put on on it every time I list it.

I can't wait. I looked at the dinky little data book that the BMTA puts out yesterday at REI. Lots of good data in there I guess, but nothing but mileages. I like a book with good info. I'm on the waiting list too!!:beer::beer::bandit::bandit:

The databook is OK, but it doesn't do much to help someone plan a hike.

I'm still thinking about names.

enviro
2009-12-29, 12:38
I've used your guide on several hikes Rock and it's excellent.

Just "BMT Hiker's Guide" would work. Cause it's good even for day hikers to find places to access the trail, drop vehicles, etc.

Two Speed
2010-01-14, 09:54
I say leave it as is. Anyone who can't figure it out is probably a butter head and is gonna screw something up anyway.

Cuffs
2010-01-14, 11:49
I've used both your guide and the BMTA pocket guide and they have both fulfilled all expectations for information.

That being said, I have put in for a LOA for September to thru hike the BMT!!

Cuffs
2010-01-14, 11:50
Oh and as for title, I lean towards acname that encompasses all hikers (not just thrus)

saimyoji
2010-01-14, 11:55

i like this one.....:biggrin:

MonkeyBoy
2010-01-14, 11:58
You should change it to :

"MonkeyBoy Rules - and the BMT is pretty cool too"

SGT Rock
2010-01-14, 14:45
I've used both your guide and the BMTA pocket guide and they have both fulfilled all expectations for information.

That being said, I have put in for a LOA for September to thru hike the BMT!!

Anyone working on something for the Pinhoti Trail yet?

Lugnut
2010-01-14, 15:20
I think Minnesota Smith is planning to do that one with a hand from Bearpaw.

Big Mac
2010-01-14, 16:33
I think Minnesota Smith is planning to do that one with a hand from Bearpaw.

And Cuffs . . .:ahhhhh:

Lugnut
2010-01-14, 16:46
I was going to suggest she could make them sammiches while they do the editing, etc but I decided I had better not do that. Too dangerous! I'm thankful I had enough sense to restrain myself.

Two Speed
2010-08-11, 09:24
Recently got a copy and been doing some preliminary plans; the layout is excellent. Now I gotta get my sorry butt over to REI and pick the maps up.

JAK
2011-06-13, 19:49
How about either...

Thru-Hikers Guide to the BMT

or

Distance Hikers Guide to the BMT

...as a spin on Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy?

sheepdog
2011-06-13, 20:21
How about
"Sheepdogs BMT guide"

Superman
2011-06-13, 21:48
"The BMT...an AT alternative"
In my opinion the BMT is ready for most hikers. It was much better marked this year compared to last year. A lot of work has gone into making the BMT ready for regular folks. The only weak spot is Tellico Plain/Green Cove Motel. I would recommend a mail drop to the Green Cove or the fish hatchery. Tellico Plain is too far from the trail, too spread out and costs more than any other town stop in my opinion. Hiking the BMT to Davenport Gap could take a lot of the negative impact off of the AT in that early section.

Weary
2011-06-20, 09:05
"Hikers Guide to the BMT" has the broadest appeal and will encourage more people to get off their butts and walk. BTW, names do matter, especially if you wish people to read what you write. And I can't think of any other reason for suffering the agony of writing something well.