PDA

View Full Version : Service and Trail Heads map complete

SGT Rock
2009-12-28, 14:44
I just finished the services and trail head map. It doesn't give details about the services, just the locations. http://bmtguide.com/head.html

enviro
2009-12-29, 15:35
That map is great! Very nice work.

Hog On Ice
2009-12-29, 18:41
hummm - looks like I used different services in Cherokee than you did rock - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shopping center but it was great for eats and resupply including a no fee CashPoint ATM - Cherokee transit was the way I got around as well as getting from/to Smokemont

SGT Rock
2009-12-29, 20:01
hummm - looks like I used different services in Cherokee than you did rock - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shopping center but it was great for eats and resupply including a no fee CashPoint ATM - Cherokee transit was the way I got around as well as getting from/to Smokemont

I am sure you did. I used different places in town too. Probably south and east of that cluster I have marked there. I think in the area there is a laundry, AYCE, super market, pharmacy, and a couple of hotels.

I just looked for the easiest to get to in town for a hiker - and it looks like right past the old boundary tree marker in town was a nice cluster just south of Cherokee Transit.

Next season's guide will be larger and have more maps and services listed. I've already started planning it out how I can do it more efficiently. Awol's new AT Guide has given me some ideas - probably next year I will have about 8 more pages for town data and maps. I'm thinking Blue Ridge, Cherokee, Bryson City, and Gatlinburg will each get a whole page map so I can put more detail in there.

I also plan to include the AT approach out of Amicalola and even have terrain profiles for that approach and for the AT approach from FS42. The AT approach is so short though it looks kind of funny the way I have it laid out.

The list of shuttle providers is going to about double.

I'm also going to have GPS coordinates for the trail heads and road crossings. I put them together for that map but didn't have the space in the guide this year to include them. To fix that problem and facilitate a couple of other things, the profile pages are going to be cut down to 16 miles per page next year.

Another thing I plan to include is the AT miles at the point where the BMT crosses, and a miles north/south to the next AT point. I will also put that at the DRT crossing so someone planning to do that AT/BMT/DRT loop will know how much trail they have there.

At the Pinhoti junction I plan to put some info about the ECT, but don't know exactly what I'm going to say yet.

I'm also looking for suggestions for things to include (like Kennels - do I need to?) and a new cover photo for the 2011 edition.

enviro
2009-12-29, 20:12
I made a few notes on my hike this past summer, I'll find it and send them along. Nothing major and you probably have already caught them.

SGT Rock
2009-12-29, 20:14
Any info you send will be appreciated - or you can post them here. That is why I set up the forum.

The Weasel
2009-12-30, 05:50
Am I right that you're talking about the "un-Gatlinburg" on the south side of the Smokies?

TW

SGT Rock
2009-12-30, 06:17
Yep. The BMT is within a few miles of there and it is easier to go to Cherokee for re-supply. What they don't have is an outfitter. But Cherokee Transit runs a cheap round trip shuttle to Gatlinburg if one needs to see an outfitter.

Bulldawg
2009-12-30, 11:05
Yep. The BMT is within a few miles of there and it is easier to go to Cherokee for re-supply. What they don't have is an outfitter. But Cherokee Transit runs a cheap round trip shuttle to Gatlinburg if one needs to see an outfitter.

The outfitter in Gatlinburg isn't much from what I saw a few weeks ago. Maybe in a gear emergency, but beyond that, I'd not make it a priority to go across the mountain.

SGT Rock
2009-12-30, 12:45
There are two outfitters - Happy Hiker and Smoky Mountain Outfitters. The word is the Happy Hiker may be on the downhill slide. Smoky Mountain is small, but they look like they have good gear. There is some other place that calls themselves an outfitter, but they are a clothing store for tourists with a few pieces of gear.

SGT Rock
2009-12-30, 13:13
hummm - looks like I used different services in Cherokee than you did rock - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shopping center but it was great for eats and resupply including a no fee CashPoint ATM - Cherokee transit was the way I got around as well as getting from/to SmokemontI think next guide I will include ATM locations. Good idea.

Bulldawg
2009-12-30, 13:27
There are two outfitters - Happy Hiker and Smoky Mountain Outfitters. The word is the Happy Hiker may be on the downhill slide. Smoky Mountain is small, but they look like they have good gear. There is some other place that calls themselves an outfitter, but they are a clothing store for tourists with a few pieces of gear.

Where is the Happy Hiker?

SGT Rock
2009-12-30, 13:30
The Happy Hiker is the one all the thru-hikers use. If you are coming out of the park you take a left at the very first traffic light and it is one block down on the left. If you ever make the White Blaze Days thing, they hold it there.

SGT Rock
2010-01-31, 14:12
Thanks to help from Mr Parkay I now have a new version of this map up with the trail track. You may have to refresh the page for the track to show up.

http://bmtguide.com/head.html