PDA

View Full Version : AT approach trail GPS coordinates

SGT Rock
2010-02-05, 06:27
I'm looking for a GPS track for the approach trail. I'd like to find the whole thing, or at least a list of GPS coordinates to where the trail crosses the FS roads in that area.

Anyone out there know where I can find it?

warraghiyagey
2010-02-05, 06:35
Yes! . . . I mean, not me . . . but I'm positive someone does. . . . :beer:

Lugnut
2010-02-05, 09:18
Ran into a hiker a couple years GPS'ing the entire trail for Backpacker magazine. They may have the onfo in their archives. He was doing this for a GPS map project which I understand is available from BP. Might find something from the ATC from Delnier (sp0 Doc's similar mapping.

warraghiyagey
2010-02-05, 09:24
I also saw a dude in '07 up in Vermont that was doing a gps hike for Backpacker Mag. . .

SGT Rock
2010-02-05, 09:27
I looked. That section is not on the BP mags available list. There is a site that has it, but it some sort of pay to download place: http://www.trailsource.com/appalachian-trail/index.asp

saimyoji
2010-02-05, 10:00
isn't there a GoogleEarth overlay with GPS waypoints? thought i remembered seeing that a few years ago.....

Skidsteer
2010-02-05, 11:13
I'm looking for a GPS track for the approach trail. I'd like to find the whole thing, or at least a list of GPS coordinates to where the trail crosses the FS roads in that area.

Anyone out there know where I can find it?

Cuffs might have a track for it.

hikingpete
2010-02-14, 09:41
I was searching for the same thing this morning, came across this forum. Eventually found it. I have used this site for way points a couple times...I think this is the info from BP. Anyway, came back and registered to post this, maybe I'll check the rest of this site out.

http://ge.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/477641

I jog the approach trail on occasion.

SGT Rock
2010-02-14, 14:16
Thanks. I'll see if it has the waypoints I need.

Ray
2010-02-14, 15:10
The road crossing shown at AMF022 is not FS-42.

SGT Rock
2010-02-14, 15:21
The trail (if you trust the ATC) should also be about 0.85 miles longer than the track shows.

SGT Rock
2010-02-14, 15:42
Since you have been running it often a couple of questions.

The old approach was 8.8 miles. That trail is now the East Ridge Trail. The new designated approach trail may be shorter, this track and another I've see show it at 8.1 miles. Can anyone confirm this?

And for the record, I believe the road this track lists as FS42 is actually FS46

Ray
2010-02-14, 21:00
I hiked the new approach for the first time sometime around Christmas. The old trail had several switchbacks winding up the ravine to the old gravel road that took you to the top of the falls. The new track follows the main paved road in Amicalola right to the base of the falls, at the fish pond, then the trail tracks right beside the stream to the staircase. The stairs obviously have no switchbacks.

It's more direct and shorter for sure but over half a mile shorter seems like a lot. But it could be, the old approach tracked further east then slanted back to the falls. In the end it doesn't matter much. I believe the old ground track, although longer, was easier and maybe faster than the current giant step master.

I know next time I'm coming down by the old route, fer shure.

SGT Rock
2010-02-15, 09:50
I hiked the new approach for the first time sometime around Christmas. The old trail had several switchbacks winding up the ravine to the old gravel road that took you to the top of the falls. The new track follows the main paved road in Amicalola right to the base of the falls, at the fish pond, then the trail tracks right beside the stream to the staircase. The stairs obviously have no switchbacks.

It's more direct and shorter for sure but over half a mile shorter seems like a lot. But it could be, the old approach tracked further east then slanted back to the falls. In the end it doesn't matter much. I believe the old ground track, although longer, was easier and maybe faster than the current giant step master.

I know next time I'm coming down by the old route, fer shure.I think it is a trade off. The old trail seemed pretty boring to me, walking beside the falls would probably be a cool way to start a hike. BUT I know exactly what you mean about stairs. I hate when maintainers put steps on a trail.

SGT Rock
2010-02-15, 10:15
Oh and that trace had all the coordinates I was looking for. Thanks!

SGT Rock
2010-02-15, 11:08
Here is a test of the page for the 2011 guide:

SGT Rock
2010-02-15, 11:17
Opposing page to go with it...

Hog On Ice
2010-02-15, 14:27
on the sheet with the profile it sort of implies that the same turn off is for both the Springer Mtn. Shelter and the start of the BMT - text on the other sheet sort of clears this up but it might be better stated - unfortunately I can't remember the exact distance between the two trails but I vaguely remember it as somewhere around 0.05 or so - ie less than a tenth of a mile but enough distance so that they are not within easy sight of each other

SGT Rock
2010-02-15, 14:43
Good point HOI. I'll add an information bullet to the listings.

SGT Rock
2010-02-16, 02:35
Updated addition to the mileage point for Sprinter Mountain Shelter/BMT southern terminus:

n The turn off for the BMT is approximately 250' north of the shelter turn off. Look for the sign and the white diamonds. Benton MacKaye Plaque approximatly 50' past the start of the BMT

cool breeze
2010-02-16, 12:27
I shuttled a hiker out of Blueridge this morning. He had been hiking the BMT for three days. Bailed because of weather. I put him on the AT at Woody Gap so he really didn't bail. He's using your book Rock and says it's awesome. His name is Just Mike.

SGT Rock
2010-02-16, 12:44
So I guess he found you through the guide.

Sweet.

That is probably the guy that told me he was starting right after the beginning of February. I think I know who he is.

cool breeze
2010-02-16, 12:56
Also I'm working on your Mont Bells. I have to pro deal them.

SGT Rock
2010-02-16, 13:04
No rush man. I figured you would get it done in your own time.

The BMT meeting got canceled due to snow again anyway.

Tin Man
2010-02-16, 13:31
I think it is a trade off. The old trail seemed pretty boring to me, walking beside the falls would probably be a cool way to start a hike. BUT I know exactly what you mean about stairs. I hate when maintainers put steps on a trail.

in the whites you are almost guaranteed a short ladder over a steep bolder when you are on a trail approaching an amc hut. elsewhere forget it.