PDA

View Full Version : Rock - Yet another power supply...

rbd
2010-02-07, 09:53
Just found this....may even get one...http://www.yogenstore.com/index.html

rbd
2010-02-08, 20:28
Nope - I don't see any good use for it. No cell towers around and I don't see how to connect it to the GPS. Better to carry a couple of Li AA batteries.

Joker
2010-02-10, 13:41
Or just build yourself a little flexible solar panel....http://store.sundancesolar.com/sububachki.html
Have to use NiMH batteries though.

SGT Rock
2010-02-10, 23:13
I seem to remember a guy coming around the boards asking questions about what a backpacker would like to see in a portable recharger. I wonder if this is that thing he was researching for?

rbd
2010-02-11, 18:57
Right - that was a year or two ago..... He even had a survey that you allowed him to put on your website. Since then there's been a couple of portable rechargers on the market. This one seem's to me to be more likely to actually work that some others I've seen. I'm not sure they really apply to my needs. Cell phone's off when there's no towers around. GPS works on AA's. The Li AA's last a while and are light.

SGT Rock
2010-02-12, 15:24
Something I've found with my Motorola -Motorola makes their charging systems sort of hinky. They only seem to want to work with Motorola stuff. I tied a couple of portable chargers that would let you use wall or car outlets, and a couple that let you recharge of AA batteries, so far none have worked efficiently, and a couple sort of work if you do some work around. This would probably end up a bust for me and my phone too.

Seems a couple years back I read about someone doing fuel cells you could power off alcohol, I wonder whatever became of that?

rbd
2010-02-12, 18:45
Right - Did you ever get that .380 Kel-tec you were once thinking about a while back. If so, does it have much of a kick to it?
I have the .32 Kel-tec which works fine at close range. Can't hit the wall at 20 yards.

Rosaleen
2010-02-12, 19:34
Hmm-My cell phone is a Motorola, as well. Trying to use the charger from a GPS didn't work, as the display lit up with "unauthorized device," but I have bought off-brand phone chargers off the shelf at Walmart that have worked fine. Maybe it is a matter of the devices voltage or amperage output?

Rosaleen

SGT Rock
2010-02-13, 08:20
Right - Did you ever get that .380 Kel-tec you were once thinking about a while back. If so, does it have much of a kick to it?
I have the .32 Kel-tec which works fine at close range. Can't hit the wall at 20 yards.
I ended up getting the P-9, long story. Anyway, the 9 does have some kick to it.

Hmm-My cell phone is a Motorola, as well. Trying to use the charger from a GPS didn't work, as the display lit up with "unauthorized device," but I have bought off-brand phone chargers off the shelf at Walmart that have worked fine. Maybe it is a matter of the devices voltage or amperage output?

Rosaleen
It is a matter of amperage and of wiring. I did some reading up and there is some sort of shorted pin connection the phone reads to let it know that charger is a quick charge. I've got something like a 1200 mV or something like that the phone still doesn't like, but if I use the box for charging the second battery that came with my original Q, then the battery in that charges just fine, including when I use this new Duracell Charger: http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/instant-usb-charger.jspx

So my solution in a charging system so far:

1.77 ounces for the wall adapter
0.42 for the USB cable
0.85 for the charger box to charge a battery
0.85 for one extra battery not in the phone
1.55 for the Duracell thing

The Duracell device can be charged off the wall adapter using the USB cable, and then you can use the Duracell thing to charge a phone battery using the cable and the box while you are in the woods in the event you kill both the phone battery and the backup I carry. I've not tested the limits of it, but as I understand you can charge a phone battery multiple times off that Duracell thing when it is at full charge.

On shorter trips I don't need all that.