PDA

View Full Version : Pack question

Superman
2010-02-23, 10:34
I could get a new pack? I used an Osprey Impala in 2000. It's not that light but it's durable as hell and could do another thru. It's about 3500 cu in. I also have a gregory that a bit under 3000 cu in but it has a big ass wrap around pocket on it. I can cram my stuff into either one but maybe I should look at sonething newer, lighter and maybe with better variable size. Any suggestions?

(Look at me...I made a new thread.)

enviro
2010-02-23, 10:35
I could get a new pack? I used an Osprey Impala in 2000. It's not that light but it's durable as hell and could do another thru. It's about 3500 cu in. I also have a gregory that a bit under 3000 cu in but it has a big ass wrap around pocket on it. I can cram my stuff into either one but maybe I should look at sonething newer, lighter and maybe with better variable size. Any suggestions?

I have an Osprey Impala also. Pretty cool pack.

Skidsteer
2010-02-23, 17:37
Any suggestions?

Yeah. ULA Circuit. Good piece of kit.

taildragger
2010-02-23, 18:09

Agreed. I'd go with just about any ULA pack, but the circuit is bad ass.

Bulldawg
2010-02-23, 19:43
I have an Osprey Impala also. Pretty cool pack.

Just got my wife's new Osprey in. I've always been sold on the Granite Gear packs, but I am really impressed with the design, weight, etc. of this pack I just picked up for her. Very nice, I might be seeing an Osprey in my near future.:beer::beer::beer:

cool breeze
2010-02-23, 20:27
You will wonder what took you so long to try one.

Bulldawg
2010-02-23, 20:57
You will wonder what took you so long to try one.

You've seen how much "bulk" I carry and you know what my weight is....recommend a good one??? I really like this Talon I got my wife, the design and all anyway.

cool breeze
2010-02-23, 21:11
Best thing you could do is bring your shit up here and try them out. Have you tried ULA? Alot of people that like GG like ULA better.

Superman
2010-02-23, 21:37
Best thing you could do is bring your shit up here and try them out. Have you tried ULA? Alot of people that like GG like ULA better.

How does it compare or what do you think of that new osprey pack that has venting on the back?

taildragger
2010-02-23, 21:58
How does it compare or what do you think of that new osprey pack that has venting on the back?

At 5'11"-6'0" and 200lbs, I found the ULA to be more comfortable than any of the osprey packs with a load of ~30lbs. To me it seemed like my packing system, aka stuff shit in till it feels good, didn't work too well with the Ospreys, but worked great with the ULA. The only thing that I don't like about the ULA is that if its hotter than shit (ie 102 in the shade with 95% humidity, aka the avg Oklahoma August) it will cause huge amounts of swack. I think that the Osprey may help with that, but I didn't see it as that big of a deal.

FWIW, I found that I could fit all my stuff in an Osprey Kestrel, and that was the Osprey pack that I liked the best, but I wouldn't trade my circuit for anything, unless it was for a catalyst and an ohm.

cool breeze
2010-02-23, 22:03

What's it called? Atmos, Ather. All Osprey packs have some kind of venting. Not only that, we only deal with packs that are suited for the AT.

Bulldawg
2010-02-23, 22:56
At 5'11"-6'0" and 200lbs, I found the ULA to be more comfortable than any of the osprey packs with a load of ~30lbs. To me it seemed like my packing system, aka stuff shit in till it feels good, didn't work too well with the Ospreys, but worked great with the ULA. The only thing that I don't like about the ULA is that if its hotter than shit (ie 102 in the shade with 95% humidity, aka the avg Oklahoma August) it will cause huge amounts of swack. I think that the Osprey may help with that, but I didn't see it as that big of a deal.

FWIW, I found that I could fit all my stuff in an Osprey Kestrel, and that was the Osprey pack that I liked the best, but I wouldn't trade my circuit for anything, unless it was for a catalyst and an ohm.

That is sort of how I pack. I have my bag, my shelter, my food, and my kitchen in a stuff or compression sack. Clothes, jackets, and misc. BS just stuffs into the crevices between that stuff. Seems to work better for me anyway. I do have to explode at camp and have crap strewed everywhere, but who cares, it's my camp right?

What's it called? Atmos, Ather. All Osprey packs have some kind of venting. Not only that, we only deal with packs that are suited for the AT.

I got Lisa the Talon 33, which has that air venting thingy in the back and on the shoulder straps. I know the Talon is available in a larger size as well. But I think I might could use this Talon 33 for a one night outing anyway, maybe more in the summer.

cool breeze
2010-02-23, 23:44
Is the Talon a womens pack? We don't have that pack here so I don't know that much about it. Does it have the trampoline back? Shit I'll just get the catalog out in the morning and study up on the subject.

Bulldawg
2010-02-23, 23:59
Is the Talon a womens pack? We don't have that pack here so I don't know that much about it. Does it have the trampoline back? Shit I'll just get the catalog out in the morning and study up on the subject.

That's why you're the man!! Is does have the trampoline shit on the back.

Multi-Use it says. I actually bought her this pack to use on the Creeper and around Trail Days this year.

cool breeze
2010-02-24, 00:12
The Osprey womans harness is really contoured to get around the BOOBS. So the woman specific packs are IMHO well thought out packs. Some women have no problem with a mans pack. Even women with big BOOBS.

SGT Rock
2010-02-24, 07:00

Agreed. I love this pack

Superman
2010-02-24, 22:56
Is there any advantage in buying a ULA Circuit from a dealer or should I just go direct to the company? What are the two dealers on the AT that carry them?

cool breeze
2010-02-24, 23:16
We have them and MRO in Damascus has them.

enviro
2010-03-02, 12:07

I have an Atmos 50 and like it very much. It carries well and I took on my 12 day trip in Maine last summer. Had all 12 days of food in at the beginning and it probably weighed 30-35 lbs. Still was comfortable and carried well. Better when you get < 30lbs. The Atmos 65 is larger and carries more weight, but I have no experience with it. I'd definitly try on an Osprey before buying it. Seems that the people that Osprey fits, it fits very well. But, not everyone is a good fit for Osprey.

jhick
2010-03-02, 19:44
I have an Atmos 50 and like it very much. It carries well and I took on my 12 day trip in Maine last summer. Had all 12 days of food in at the beginning and it probably weighed 30-35 lbs. Still was comfortable and carried well. Better when you get < 30lbs. The Atmos 65 is larger and carries more weight, but I have no experience with it. I'd definitly try on an Osprey before buying it. Seems that the people that Osprey fits, it fits very well. But, not everyone is a good fit for Osprey.

I love my Atmos 65.... very comfortable. Carried over 40 in it a couple times.

Superman
2010-03-02, 20:34
I traveled all over NH to get a look at the new Osprey packs. I liked the idea of the venting since I sweat like hell in the heat of the summer. I got tired of being bull shitted by teeny bopper ass holes that had never done an over night hike. I gave up on Osprey for now. Maybe I'll look at them again some time...but not now. I bought a UAL Cuircut on line. I got an e-mail that said my pack is on it's way. I'm walking around the block with a pack on now and will load up the new pack and try to get used to it before I leave for GA.

Gaiter
2010-03-02, 21:18

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Blsx_6dnFT4/R0AszrWCBbI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/CI4G8vofLxk/s400/ist2_1803807_gold_star_2.jpg

sheepdog
2010-03-02, 21:20

try a deuter. great pack, light, durable, ventalation in the back.

vonfrick
2010-03-02, 22:26

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Blsx_6dnFT4/R0AszrWCBbI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/CI4G8vofLxk/s400/ist2_1803807_gold_star_2.jpg

took the words right outta my mouth- way to go man!! :beer:

Lugnut
2010-03-02, 22:28
Color.

vonfrick
2010-03-02, 22:33
what's the inseam on that pack?

Superman
2010-03-02, 22:35
what's the inseam on that pack?

Huh...is that question to me?

Superman
2010-03-02, 22:38

I'd bow but I have to be re-trained every time. I don't ride the short bus just to watch the wheels go around.

enviro
2010-03-03, 10:44
I traveled all over NH to get a look at the new Osprey packs. I liked the idea of the venting since I sweat like hell in the heat of the summer. I got tired of being bull shitted by teeny bopper ass holes that had never done an over night hike. I gave up on Osprey for now. Maybe I'll look at them again some time...but not now. I bought a UAL Cuircut on line. I got an e-mail that said my pack is on it's way. I'm walking around the block with a pack on now and will load up the new pack and try to get used to it before I leave for GA.

I hate going into outdoor stores that have sales people that know nothing about the product they are selling or the activity that the product is used for. Then those sales people try to just make shit up, failing to realize that the customer knows more than they do about the product.

Bad idea.

Enjoy that Circuit. I may get one of those if I buy a new pack in the future.

vonfrick
2010-03-03, 21:18
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-dog-pictures-love-but-peed.jpg

GGS
2010-03-05, 00:53
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-dog-pictures-love-but-peed.jpg

Got a chuckle out of that. My adopted male lab peed on mine. Just one day he decided to mark his territory in the house and he started with my backpack... I heard the the tinkle hit the nylon and I came blasting around the corner to see what the f@#!! was going on, I startled him so bad he hasn't marked in the house since.

taildragger
2010-03-05, 09:50
I hate going into outdoor stores that have sales people that know nothing about the product they are selling or the activity that the product is used for. Then those sales people try to just make shit up, failing to realize that the customer knows more than they do about the product.

I don't think that I've ever been to an outdoor store that isn't full of those people. I had someone try to sell me a four season tent to go camp in the summer. He was also the same kid bragging to someone else that he had camped somewhere with high enough winds to break the poles on his 4 season tent. In general, he was a fucktard that sucked at life.

This store didn't like me when I was applying for a job, something about being a light weight person who was more apt to dirtbag instead of buying the titanium jetboil (if I only had the money...)

JAK
2010-03-07, 03:57
I just tried out my 20oz 3100ci Jam2 with 30 pounds, over 13 hours and 30 miles in 25 hours, 7 miles of which was rugged, at times treacherous. The pack held up better than I did, but at 30 pounds I think something like the ULA circuit, at 2400ci, looks like it would be more comfortable. Key features would be, perhaps the hip belt, perhaps the adjustable straps to the top of the pack, and definitely the weight more compacted and closer to the body, and perhaps a better shape for the body also. I don't think the pack material needs to be that much heavier than the Jam2, unless you use the pack to compress the shit out of your stuff, which might be neccessary for 30 pounds, but not so neccessary for 20 pounds. With my Jam2 loaded to 30 pounds, the weight was too high and too far off my back in technical sections, and not as comfortable as it should have been slogging away on the less technical sections either.

I am starting to think that a pack for up to 20 pounds can be less densely packed, unless you are doing some trail running or more technical stuff, even just ducking under alot of fallen trees and stuff, but you can pack it differently for that stuff, as long as it is still 20 pounds. I like the Jam2 for cross-country skiing. It is narrow, and waterproof, and has good volume for clothing/sleepinf gear, and well suited fors short ski trips limited to 20 pounds. I haven't tried the 4500ci Pinnacle, but I think it would be needed for longer winter trips, maybe 30 pounds, but that is heavy for skis unless the skier is light, and it might be even more awkward at 30 pounds than the Jam2. Not sure.

For backpacking on more rugged and at times treacherous trails, if the hiker is light enough and fit enough to carry 30 pounds on such a trail, I think jamming stuff down to 2400ci, like the ULA circuit, might be the way to go. For a fairer comparison I think I will try loading my Jam2 with 30 pounds compressed down to 2400ci, but also loaded in such a way that the cross section is closer to the back, less circular. I am still not sure the Jam2 would be well suited for 30 pounds, even loaded in this way. Not sure. I think it is durable enough. I'm just not sure about the hip belt. Also, the vertical fit is less adjustable. I presume that matters. I like the front pack of the ULA circuit. The Jam2 front pack doesn't really add much volume or function, as it takes away from the main compartment, or is reduced by the main compartement when the main compartment is stuffed full. Also, both compartments are essentially waterproof, so it can separare dry stuff from wet stuff, but doesn't allow the wet stuff to dry. Doesn't fit my Kelly Kettle either, though I have managed to store that in a side pouch, as I no longer carry the base with it.

What are other peoples thoughts on a good volume for a 30 pound packweight vs a 20 pound packweight? Should a UL pack be able to be higher volume than a 30 pound pack, because the weight distribution is less critical? I guess I will have to try something like the ULA circuit and see. First I will try the Jam2 with an ideal shaped 2400ci 30 pound package.

Superman
2010-03-16, 11:47
So I'm trying to get my pack loaded up and sent to Coolbreeze. I put everything into it and put it on. Ug, too heavy. I layed everything out on the bed to see what I could take out. That got rid of about 5 lb. It's amazing how much light stuff can get stuffed into a pack but them...
I've still got some stuff that I can get rid of in about a month. I've gone through Sgt Rock's book and highlighted and made notes. I've also done that to the maps.

JAK
2010-03-16, 12:59
The front pouch on my Jam2 is starting to piss me off.
I might get enough courage to fuck with it.

Enjoy your ULA Circuit.

Superman
2010-03-16, 13:19
The front pouch on my Jam2 is starting to piss me off.
I might get enough courage to fuck with it.

Enjoy your ULA Circuit.

I've been carrying it around the block for awhile now. The biggest thing againt the Circuit is how convenient it is to put stuff into it.:biggrin:

SGT Rock
2010-03-16, 16:00
I love my ULA.

cool breeze
2010-03-16, 20:57
So I'm trying to get my pack loaded up and sent to Coolbreeze. I put everything into it and put it on. Ug, too heavy. I layed everything out on the bed to see what I could take out. That got rid of about 5 lb. It's amazing how much light stuff can get stuffed into a pack but them...
I've still got some stuff that I can get rid of in about a month. I've gone through Sgt Rock's book and highlighted and made notes. I've also done that to the maps.

I don't really need a new pack, but i guess I'll take it.

SGT Rock
2010-03-16, 20:58
Hell, post your stuff at WB. Those know it alls will have you down to 5 pounds easy.

vonfrick
2010-03-16, 21:50
hey superman, the fabrics on it way to the fortress of solitude. couple o more ouonces for ya! :)

Superman
2010-03-16, 21:53
Hell, post your stuff at WB. Those know it alls will have you down to 5 pounds easy.

It's less than I started the AT with in 2000 and it will be less when I switch out some stuff to keep me warm later. Since 2000 I've shared the gear hiking with Pat, plus the hikes by myself have only been short one or two day hikes. I'm going to have to adjust to carrying the load....or call a wambulance.:biggrin:

Spogatz
2010-03-16, 22:45
Maybe you should leave that 5 man cabin tent behind....just a suggestion

Superman
2010-03-16, 23:44
Maybe you should leave that 5 man cabin tent behind....just a suggestion

I've gotten lighter gear since 2000. It must be me.:angel:

Superman
2010-03-17, 17:53
I got a call today and a friend will be joining me to hike the BMT. He hiked the AT in 2000 plus most of the CDT and PCT. He's just about 70 and is yet another one who can hike me into the ground. He will not let me call a wambulance.:biggrin:

My pack is on it's way to Coolbreeze as of today.

Two Speed
2010-03-18, 05:23
Way cool, and don't let the geezer make you look too bad. Us whippersnappers will never let you live it down.

JAK
2010-03-18, 08:28
Take away his prune juice. That usually slows them down.

JAK
2010-03-18, 10:48
My last half marathon this old guy pulled away from me with 3km to go. It was a very hot and humid day, at least by our local standards. That's when I resolved to become a skinny old running man. I'm getting there. Just 30 pounds, a couple of more years, and several thousand running miles and I can catch up to the old bastards.

It's not the heat. It's the humility.

Superman
2010-03-18, 15:25
I just came back from seeing my nurse practioner. I told her about my up coming hike so we could review everything in the light of a long distance hike. So we got through that and as I was leaving she clapped me on the back and said "remember ...you're no spring chicken. Call me if you come back sooner than expected."

jhick
2010-03-18, 21:38
...."remember ...you're no spring chicken. Call me if you come back sooner than expected."

jeez.... thanks doc.

Superman
2010-03-18, 21:56
jeez.... thanks doc.

Well, she might be right but she didn't have to say it. I damn sure will try to prove her wrong. She is a bitch.

jhick
2010-03-18, 22:12
Well, she might be right but she didn't have to say it. I damn sure will try to prove her wrong. She is a bitch.

really... and if ya don't make it just wait a few months and then call her a bitch.

Superman
2010-03-18, 22:19
really... and if ya don't make it just wait a few months and then call her a bitch.

It'll all work out.

JAK
2010-03-19, 09:55
I think 99% of troubles we consider age related are really weight related. I've been thinking alot lately about the impact of weight on my running. I got back into running a year ago after dropping from 225# down to 200#, and I've been doing most of my running between 210# and 190#. It is very hard on the legs and feet. I really need to get down to below 185# before I can really start training the way I want to without injury. 165# would be sweet. With hiking I think it is similar, except that hiking is somewhat more forgiving. Still, I would guess that at the same level of overall fitness I can cover at least twice as many miles per week at 200# total weight on feet compared to 240#. 165# with 25# skin out would be awesomely sweet. Best way to get there is with hiking, of course.

I think if you take it easy while your weight is still coming down, and try and keep the pack as light as you can until your weight comes down, you will do just fine. Weight is the real barrier to overcome. Not age.

When you get back in 6 months, tell the nurse she could lose some weight. ;)