PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machine suggestions...

dixicritter
2010-02-27, 22:15
I've been doing some sewing on different projects that Rock has been coming up with and I am about over my sewing machine. I'm ready to chunk it through a window.

So in order to save having to replace said window, I'm considering replacing the machine. Any suggestions on a GOOD machine would be greatly appreciated.

The current monster is a Singer portable that is probably about 10 years old now.

Bulldawg
2010-02-27, 22:22
I've been doing some sewing on different projects that Rock has been coming up with and I am about over my sewing machine. I'm ready to chunk it through a window.

So in order to save having to replace said window, I'm considering replacing the machine. Any suggestions on a GOOD machine would be greatly appreciated.

The current monster is a Singer portable that is probably about 10 years old now.

Just get someone to service it. My mom has one of those old Singer portables that I had serviced for her back last year. She said it run like a new machine. And her's is about 30 years old.

dixicritter
2010-02-28, 00:01
Just get someone to service it. My mom has one of those old Singer portables that I had serviced for her back last year. She said it run like a new machine. And her's is about 30 years old.

I'm honestly not sure it would do any good with this machine. I've had issues with it off and on for years... almost since I first got it. That's what I get for going cheap I suppose. :argh:

Lugnut
2010-02-28, 00:51
Just teach Rock to sew! :albertein

warraghiyagey
2010-02-28, 02:44

:congrats::congrats:

SGT Rock
2010-02-28, 08:31

A while back I tried sewing my own stuff. She kept running me away from the machine.

dixicritter
2010-02-28, 08:44
A while back I tried sewing my own stuff. She kept running me away from the machine.

Sure did, you were costing us a small fortune in broken needles. LOL

Lugnut
2010-02-28, 09:36
Maybe it wasn't by accident. Ever read 'Tom Sawyer'? :biggrin:

Rosaleen
2010-03-01, 18:40
Dixie Critter-
Your best buy may be a good quality used machine. I bought on in a pawn shop when first married-gave it away after about 30 years. Bought my sister's Husquavarna. It is awesome. Also have a cheap-o Singer from Walmart that has become my traveling machine. If it gets knocked around, I don't cry about it.

Rosaleen

SGT Rock
2010-03-01, 20:13
She got a new one (don't ask me what) and she loves it. She finished out my hammock cover and is now sewing some of her own stuff.

oneshot
2010-03-02, 01:41
Well I would suggest you research used Berninas. I have a portable that I bought about 20 years ago and though it is not gear drive it is cog belt timed so its almost as good as the professional machines and you don't need a dedicated room for it. If space isn't a problem talk to a Bernina repair man and ask him about what the best used heavy duty machines are good and go from there. The quality of Singers have plunged in the last 30 years. Kind of like what happened to Harley in the '70's.

vonfrick
2010-03-02, 23:24
dixi- i have a kenmore i got in a thrift shop for $10...my mom used a kenmore as well for some 30+ years, don't even know if they exist anymore new, but this one i have takes the worse abuse (layer upon layers of upholstery weight) and neglect (rarely getting it oiled) i can dish out and still hums away

dixicritter
2010-03-02, 23:39
Thanks y'all!

I did end up with the Singer Fashion Mate. So far I'm loving this machine. It is super quiet and stitches like a dream... not a nightmare. LOL

I have an antique Singer treadle machine, it is the one I learned how to sew on. I loved it because it is powered by me so I had better control (at least in my mind). Maybe some day I can sew on it again.

Lugnut
2010-03-02, 23:42
When you are back in control. :angel:

enviro
2010-03-04, 18:29
Thanks y'all!

I did end up with the Singer Fashion Mate. So far I'm loving this machine. It is super quiet and stitches like a dream... not a nightmare. LOL

I have an antique Singer treadle machine, it is the one I learned how to sew on. I loved it because it is powered by me so I had better control (at least in my mind). Maybe some day I can sew on it again.

I have one of those antique Treadle machines that my grandmother gave me. I have no idea how to sew, but would like to. That's probably not the machine to learn on though.

dixicritter
2010-03-04, 20:17
I have one of those antique Treadle machines that my grandmother gave me. I have no idea how to sew, but would like to. That's probably not the machine to learn on though.

I dunno about that. Like I said the treadle machine is the one I learned how to sew on. I was really young, so I made my dolls clothes on the thing.

Nearly Normal
2010-03-07, 11:50
My Granny made all our clothes until we were about 10. My Moma and Aunt would cut out a dress, sew it and wear it out that night. Zippers, button holes and elastic etc..
There was a store in town that only sold patterns, both new and used.
Get caught using the good scissors or pinking shears would earn you a switching.
My Granny knitted or would crochet while sitting in the deer stand. Only time she got still was when asleep.

Superman
2010-03-07, 12:13
Pat is going to sew a flap onto my ultra light tarp tent. Where can I get that real light rip stop material?

Lugnut
2010-03-07, 12:19
You can get ripstop at any sewing supply but I've never seen sil nylon for sale other than on the internet. Of course I don't get around to a lot of sewing suppliers either.

vonfrick
2010-03-07, 12:33
Pat is going to sew a flap onto my ultra light tarp tent. Where can I get that real light rip stop material?

how much do you need? i bought a boatload of it and could likely spare some for a flap

its the same greenish-grey color as the background on this site

dixicritter
2010-03-07, 14:03
You can also check here.... http://thru-hiker.com/materials/index.php