PDA

View Full Version : Updates coming...

SGT Rock
2010-03-08, 17:24
I was out this weekend working on the BMT and had some updates to some service provider info in the Topoco/Deals Gap area. plan to put in an errata sheet you can print out and put in your guide before you start.

But basically the old Jenkins Store in Topoco (Earl Schafer stopped there in 1948) has finally been bought and is back in business as the Faucet Side Grill. They were closed today so no hours or services I can list yet....

And at the Inn at Deals Gap they have a free phone for local calls outside for people to use and said it wasn't a problem for hikers to stop and use it to call Fontana for a shuttle, so that makes it VERY nice for re-supply now as there wasn't a good way for a long time in that area. The phone is between room 8 and 9 and is even up and in service during the off season, so even winter hikers can use the phone though the place is closed to get a ride to Fontana - provided their shuttle van is available. Or you might be able to get the Hike Inn to do it, but in the off season you better have it worked out in advance.

SGT Rock
2010-04-04, 19:58
Looks like the Topoco Lodge is out of business and looking for a new owner this year. So please don't go there looking for services.

The NOC has opened a new outfitter in Gatlinburg. They have a little bit of everything, so if you needed an item of gear to replace something that has broken or is lost - you can probably find what you need there. They are offering (for now at least) free shuttles to and from Newfound Gap. They also have showers, and lockers for hikers to stow their gear while they do their business in town. They accept mail drops. They are located at the first traffic light in town when you come down out of the Smokies, across from a the Parkway Market and the new Sports Pub in Gatlinburg, and a block from the Happy Hiker.

Happy Hiker is currently closed. They do not say when they will re-open. They have signs on the door saying that if you sent a package to them, you will have to go to the Post Office in Gatlinburg to pick it up.

SGT Rock
2010-04-06, 09:00
I'll add a link to www.bmtguide.com next.

generoll
2010-04-07, 00:40
by the way, MTN X is out of your guide.

SGT Rock
2010-04-07, 10:44
It will be in there next year.

Big Mac
2010-04-07, 16:40
I thought he meant "sold out" ?

SGT Rock
2010-04-07, 16:45
Ohhhh. Hey Cool Breeze, ya'll out of guidebooks?

cool breeze
2010-04-07, 16:58
I'll have to look.

SGT Rock
2010-04-07, 16:58
I'm coming down that way around the end of the month if they need more. If you need more ASAP I can mail some.

Superman
2010-04-10, 21:54
The pay phone was taken out and there is no cell reception at that store where Coolbreeze let tex out. There's a bunch of blow downs on the border of GA and TN. There were some un-marked turns in that same area that could have been a problem if we weren't so damn good.:angel:

Skidsteer
2010-04-10, 22:04
Sounds like you're having a fine time. Rock on.

Superman
2010-04-10, 22:08
Sounds like you're having a fine time. Rock on.

Yeah, it's working out better than I would have guessed. No body parts have gone boing and no valves have blown. Tex sort of jumped in on the hike at the last minute. The BMT is a damn fine trail.

Skidsteer
2010-04-10, 22:37
Wish I was out there with you.

SGT Rock
2010-04-11, 08:23
Me too.

Superman
2010-04-11, 15:06
Tex will be going home at our next stop. I will hike on. Any of yall want to jump in come on along.

SGT Rock
2010-04-11, 16:49
Wish I could. Where are you stopping next? And where are you now?

Superman
2010-04-11, 21:16
Wish I could. Where are you stopping next? And where are you now?

The next stop is 151.3 where Tex will go home. What would be the best way for him to get down to Atlanta from there?

Skidsteer
2010-04-11, 21:41
..................................:biggrin:

SGT Rock
2010-04-12, 08:07
The next stop is 151.3 where Tex will go home. What would be the best way for him to get down to Atlanta from there?

The best way would be to head over into Tellico Plains and then head to I75 via Madisonville from there. Then take I75 south to Atlanta.

telliquah
2010-04-17, 21:44
The best way would be to head over into Tellico Plains and then head to I75 via Madisonville from there. Then take I75 south to Atlanta.

We are currently at the home of Richard and Brenda Harris. Brenda is taking Tex to a town where he can take a bus to Atlanta. Rick is going to take me back to the BMT tomorrow morning.

Superman

telliquah
2010-04-17, 21:48
I'll be in Fontana Dam in 3 or 4 days.:angel:

Superman

SGT Rock
2010-04-18, 19:55
Glad to hear you are making it up the trail well. Tell Rick I said Hi.

Superman
2010-04-21, 19:53
I'm in Fontana Village at this time. I'm switching to the AT to try to pick up the pace. I liked the BMT but it has some weak spots for some folks. My journal is way the fuck behind. I send the pages home and I think Pat uses them to start the fire.:angel:

Sherpa
2010-08-31, 16:24
Hey there Top. Great book! I used your guide a couple of weekends ago to do the section from Towee Creek parking area to The Narrows. Your instructions were spot on except one minor/major detail (depends on perspective).

The trail has been rerouted and technically no longer runs along the road to the Power House bridge. The trail picks up right there at the back of Towee Creek parking area and winds around the back until it comes down right around Wildcat Creek.

Just thought that I'd let you know so that your next edition will show the new route.

Thanks you for your BMT guide. I love it!

SGT Rock
2010-09-01, 14:24
Thanks Sherpa, I've got that update coming out in the 2011 version. I haven't hiked that new section myself yet.

FWIW it is still possible to go down to the powerhouse bridge and hike that back to the BMT if one wanted to and as I understand it, the mileage is still the same.

Sherpa
2010-09-02, 13:42
Yes, it is certainly an option to continue using the old route and go under the bridge. I used that on the way back. Lots of mushy overgrown spots but still completely doable. The blazes are still looking good and not faded out yet. Since it was still fairly early on a Sunday morning when I walked out there was no road traffic on the old route. It was very nice not having to worry whether someone was going to run me over in their haste to get in the water.

SGT Rock
2010-09-02, 16:55
Did you go out on the bridge?

Sherpa
2010-09-03, 12:20
Nope. Just took a picture and kept walking. Some knucklehead laid a big poop right on the trail just below the bridge right past the steps going down the hill. So, unless bears and dogs started using paper to wipe their butts it was most surely a being with 2 legs. Really ticked me off because if they couldn't make it to the pits at the parking area, they could have stepped away from the trail.