PDA

View Full Version : BMT middle section or Iron Mtn Trail (VA)

A-Train
2010-03-14, 23:18
Esteemed Comrades, I need your help. Which would you hike if you had 5-8 days. Looking for 100+ish miles. Better scenary-middle 100 miles of the BMT or doing a loop of the Iron Mtn Trail and the AT in the Grayson Highlands from Damascus to Troutdale area?

Gonna be coming down in 2 weeks.

Or other recommendations....Looking for really good stuff to look at, going crazy in the sit-ay

warraghiyagey
2010-03-14, 23:34
I don't know anything about the southern section of the trail or the BMT. . . does that help. . . . :angel:

Take-a-knee
2010-03-15, 00:33
Duncan Ridge/BMT/AT loop. About 55miles IIRC, plus your approach from wherever you park. 4-5 days.

warraghiyagey
2010-03-15, 00:44
That souunds way smarter than my contribution. . . . :angel:

Austin
2010-03-15, 01:35
That souunds way smarter than my contribution. . . . :angel:

Go figure... :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
2010-03-15, 10:42
100 miles of BMT hiking that is some of the best parts would be the Smokies BMT or doing the section from about Big Frog Mountain to Deals Gap.

A-Train
2010-03-15, 17:07
Thanks for the help.

I was gonna hike the Smokies BMT but kept being told that the 100 miles south of there was better. I guess subjectivity rears its head. What miles are Big Frog Mtn and Deals? I think I'm gonna need your book!

Anyway, things seem to be falling into place, I think.

Lone Wolf
2010-03-15, 17:13
Esteemed Comrades, I need your help. Which would you hike if you had 5-8 days. Looking for 100+ish miles. Better scenary-middle 100 miles of the BMT or doing a loop of the Iron Mtn Trail and the AT in the Grayson Highlands from Damascus to Troutdale area?

Gonna be coming down in 2 weeks.

Or other recommendations....Looking for really good stuff to look at, going crazy in the sit-ay

AT/Iron Mt. loop. NOBO out of town on IT then Sobo AT

SGT Rock
2010-03-15, 17:14
Big Frog is 81.5 but you have to walk up it. Closest road is about 6.5 from there, with lots of side trails and stuff so you could go up one way and come back down the BMT or something like that. Deals Gap is 189.0 at the Motorcycle Resort which is probably the best place in that area to get off the trail at. If you didn't want to walk up the mountain to Big Frog, then starting at US 64 which is mile 91.4 is a good option in that area. I recommend you start by looking at Mr Parkays Google earth file or going here: http://bmtguide.com/head.html (wait a little for all the map files to upload to your computer) or here http://bmtguide.com/section.html (this one has mile points) and do some initial planning. My guide would be a good idea to have when figuring that out too (shameless plug)