PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird Mountains, NC

Ray
2010-04-06, 00:03
Help a brother out here.

Last year a friend in the GATC died and there was a scramble to cover the hikes he was going to lead this year. I got called to lead a weekend backpacking trip into the Snowbird Mountains in NC. I said of course, yeah sure no problem.

I've been there once before but I didn't plan the trip and don't even remember which trails we took. I figured worse case scenario, y'know, I could count on the co-leader to help me out.

The trip's coming up in a couple of months so I got in touch with the co-lead. He knew nothing about the trip and is having some health issues that will prevent him from going anyway.

So now I'm twisting in the wind here. Anybody know anything about the Snowbirds and be willing to PM me about trails and/or take a weekend trip with me to check it out?

Russell
2010-04-06, 00:09
Ray are you talking about Snowbird Mt. that is north of Standing Bear Hostel on the AT? The one with the ufo on it.

warraghiyagey
2010-04-06, 00:10
Oooh . . . UFO's. . . maybe I can help . . . . :biggrin:

Ray
2010-04-06, 00:44
Different, I think. South of the GSMNP near Robbinsville NC in the Nantahala NF.

You know how on the way to the NOC from the south, 129 splits off 19 & 74? About 10 miles south of Wesser? Robbinsville is down 129.

Russell
2010-04-06, 01:02
Different, I think. South of the GSMNP near Robbinsville NC in the Nantahala NF.

You know how on the way to the NOC from the south, 129 splits off 19 & 74? About 10 miles south of Wesser? Robbinsville is down 129.

Never been there, can't help you out, sorry.

Kanga
2010-04-06, 13:36
Help a brother out here.

Last year a friend in the GATC died and there was a scramble to cover the hikes he was going to lead this year. I got called to lead a weekend backpacking trip into the Snowbird Mountains in NC. I said of course, yeah sure no problem.

I've been there once before but I didn't plan the trip and don't even remember which trails we took. I figured worse case scenario, y'know, I could count on the co-leader to help me out.

The trip's coming up in a couple of months so I got in touch with the co-lead. He knew nothing about the trip and is having some health issues that will prevent him from going anyway.

So now I'm twisting in the wind here. Anybody know anything about the Snowbirds and be willing to PM me about trails and/or take a weekend trip with me to check it out?

i'll go on a weekend trip with you. have to work the weekend of the 24th but other than that my schedule's open.

SGT Rock
2010-04-06, 13:46
I think this is the Snowbird Mountains south of Robbinsville, NC. I was talking to a member of the Bartram Trail association and their trail extension they are working on goes through there.

Ray
2010-04-06, 14:34
i'll go on a weekend trip with you. have to work the weekend of the 24th but other than that my schedule's open.Thanks. Now I only have to figure out where the hell I'm going.

I also posted on the GATC list and someone e-mailed me to suggest one guy who knows the area very well. Turns out it's the same guy that can't make it, the one I'm trying to replace. :argh:

Hey, anybody know if Mtn X has any books about hiking trails in that area?

You listening, Breeze? Books: Paper things to the right as you enter the front door.

Ray
2010-04-06, 22:21
Found a co-leader! Who's been there before! And has directions, maps and even profiles of the entire hike.

I keep coming up with sevens every time I roll the dice.

I still want to do a pre-trip trip to make sure the trip's a trip. We could do this as a Hobo thing. I'm occupied the first two weeks in May and this weekend coming up I'll be thru-sawing the DRT but other than those dates I'm willing.

SGT Rock
2010-04-06, 22:32
I'm game if we can synchronize things. But I have a mostly full plate already.

wakapak
2010-04-06, 22:45
Found a co-leader! Who's been there before! And has directions, maps and even profiles of the entire hike.

I keep coming up with sevens every time I roll the dice.

I still want to do a pre-trip trip to make sure the trip's a trip. We could do this as a Hobo thing. I'm occupied the first two weeks in May and this weekend coming up I'll be thru-sawing the DRT but other than those dates I'm willing.

Careful what you ask for there...just sayin...:albertein :biggrin: :aetsch:

Kanga
2010-04-06, 23:08
welcome to the grey room

generoll
2010-04-07, 00:38
I have a Snowbird Area Trail Map if that would help any. It's dated 1990 and has "Recreation Guide R8-RG 60" on the back if you want to try and get one from the Forest Service. Where are you going to be Saturday evening or Sunday morning? Someplace I could find? Or would you prefer I mail it to you?

Ray
2010-04-07, 07:26
I have a Snowbird Area Trail Map if that would help any. It's dated 1990 and has "Recreation Guide R8-RG 60" on the back if you want to try and get one from the Forest Service. Where are you going to be Saturday evening or Sunday morning? Someplace I could find? Or would you prefer I mail it to you?We'll be based at Wolfpen Gap on 180. Big white van, Forsyth county tags.

generoll
2010-04-07, 08:57
I'll come by on Sunday morning then.

warraghiyagey
2010-04-07, 08:59
I usually avoid white vans parked in the middle of nowhere. . . :afraid:

Kanga
2010-04-07, 09:25
gene, those maps are now $8!! they used to be around $4 or $5.

Ray
2010-04-07, 23:26
I'll come by on Sunday morning then.Change in plans. Sunday morning we'll be at Mulky Gap.

Which is closer to Buh-LAY-yers-VEE-yill. I love how the locals there can stretch two syllables into five, and that's the fast talking ones.

But seriously - you know how to get to Mulky?

And the Snowbird Expedition is on my calendar the weekend of June 5. Be there or be .... somewhere else.

Skidsteer
2010-04-07, 23:30
But seriously - you know how to get to Mulky?

Pray-act-iss?

generoll
2010-04-08, 09:12
gene, those maps are now $8!! they used to be around $4 or $5.

Mine has a sticker on it of $6.95. Guess I got ripped off.

Kanga
2010-04-08, 09:25

generoll
2010-04-08, 09:30
I guess that if I drive from sr 75 towards 129 on 180 I'll pass your van at some point. I drive that route about once a week, but I don't recall seeing a marker for Mulky Gap. What are you doing over there? Isn't that a bit off the DRT?

generoll
2010-04-08, 09:49
OK, I found that there is a Mulky Gap Quad which includes the DRT. I guess this must be on 180 to the west of 19/129. So closer to Blairsville must mean you don't have to drive as far off 19/129 to find it. Haven't actually found that gap, but it must be somewhere on that quad.

Two Speed
2010-04-08, 09:51
IIRC the forest service road at Wolfpen Gap on GA 180 runs through Mulky Gap.

Then again I damn nearly wound up in Virginia on my way to Franklin NC, so any reasonable person would check that.

Damn, I'm talking to myself, aren't I?

Ray
2010-04-08, 10:02
I guess that if I drive from sr 75 towards 129 on 180 I'll pass your van at some point. I drive that route about once a week, but I don't recall seeing a marker for Mulky Gap. What are you doing over there? Isn't that a bit off the DRT?Wrong direction.

From Blairsville take the Blue Ridge Highway south towards the Blairsville International Airport. Mulky Gap Road will be on the left, I think first left past Airport Rd. Kinda across from where Kuiuestia Creek Rd hits the BRH.

Follow MGR until it changes to FS4, gravel road. Mulky Gap is about 2.5 miles further, the intersection of the DRT is marked. It's where the road crosses over some ridge but I forget the name. Continuing on FS4 will take you to GA-60 at the Cooper Creek store.

Or, if it's easier, just drop it off at Goose Creek Cabins. Tell Keith I'll pick it up later Sunday. Thanks!

generoll
2010-04-08, 10:11
found a Mulky Gap Road. Runs right off Owltown Road, or you could find it by driving behind the Blairsville aerodrome on Blue Ridge Hwy.

generoll
2010-04-08, 10:13
OK, see yah Sunday. Do I get to use the pick/mattock this time?

Ray
2010-04-08, 10:33
OK, see yah Sunday. Do I get to use the pick/mattock this time?We'll be clearing blowdowns up the hill to the right as you drive in, Akin Mtn. Opposite side of the road from the DRT sign. We'll be doing from Mulky to Fish Gap & back.

It's an old controlled burn area that got out of control. Lots of dead trees that come down every year so there should be quite a few drops after this winter.

It's one of my favorite areas - a big climb up Akin to the ridge with a good view back towards the Blue Ridge, another gentle climb over the next mountain, then a long flat walk around a big cove into Fish Gap. Listen for a chainsaw.

cool breeze
2010-04-08, 10:44
Thanks. Now I only have to figure out where the hell I'm going.

I also posted on the GATC list and someone e-mailed me to suggest one guy who knows the area very well. Turns out it's the same guy that can't make it, the one I'm trying to replace. :argh:

Hey, anybody know if Mtn X has any books about hiking trails in that area?

You listening, Breeze? Books: Paper things to the right as you enter the front door.

Coulden't find anything. What's the name of the trail?

generoll
2010-04-08, 10:57
Snowbird Mountains. There are several trails in the area. My map is a USFS map with a publication date of 1990. The title is "Snowbird Area Trail Map". This is west of the AT, but does contain some parts of the BMT.

generoll
2010-04-11, 21:04
Crap! I went south on the DRT first until I topped the ridge, then I heard a chainsaw to the north. Turned around and headed up and met a hiker who said you were headed downhill to Fish Gap. Topped that ridge and didn't hear anymore chainsaws so I turned around and went back to the car. Someone with a white van and Forsyth county tags has a map under their windshield. Hope it was you.

Ray
2010-04-11, 21:27
Crap! I went south on the DRT first until I topped the ridge, then I heard a chainsaw to the north. Turned around and headed up and met a hiker who said you were headed downhill to Fish Gap. Topped that ridge and didn't hear anymore chainsaws so I turned around and went back to the car. Someone with a white van and Forsyth county tags has a map under their windshield. Hope it was you.It was and thanks! Hiker with a little dog? Sorry you missed us.

Today we cleared to Clements Mtn, the one past Akin, then left the chainsaw there and walked back and found the map. Took my co-maintainer's truck up to Fish because my van couldn't handle that road. Then we walked to Clements and cut our way back. So I have walked from Mulky Gap to Fish Gap today. Twice.

Yesterday we cleared from Slaughter Gap to Wolfpen Gap except for two big blowdowns on the west side of Coosa Bald. For those we're going to need additional help. Then we cleared from Wolfpen to White Oak Stomp.

So we got the most used section and the section that causes the most problems cleared. My co-maintainer still has White Oak to Mulky to check and I've got Fish Gap to Rhodes Mtn.

It was a great weekend to be up in the mountains.

SGT Rock
2010-04-12, 08:06
Snowbird Mountains. There are several trails in the area. My map is a USFS map with a publication date of 1990. The title is "Snowbird Area Trail Map". This is west of the AT, but does contain some parts of the BMT.

A Batram Trails guy told me they were planning on linking into the BMT where it shares trail with the John Muir in East Tennessee. I guess that means the Snowbirds are right over on the NC side of that.