PDA

View Full Version : Garmin eTrex Venture

ATCamp
2010-05-08, 22:07
What do you all think about this Garmin eTrex Venture? I've been thinking about getting one for a while and would appreciate any opinions.

http://www.alloutdoorandmore.com/Garmin-eTrex-Venture-p/garmin-010-00632-00.htm

Spogatz
2010-05-10, 15:33
I have an eTrex and it either will not stay locked on or will lose lock when in the woods. I bought an Oregon 400T and love it.

ATCamp
2010-05-10, 20:13
Great-- thanks for the comment!

SGT Rock
2010-05-10, 20:22
I've been thinking about getting me one to make trail tracks with for updating trail profiles. I ain't sure what function to look for. For me, when a GPS had the right coordinates for where I was when I stopped to check it was good enough for me.

GGS
2010-05-12, 00:31
ATCamp, the older Etrex units did not have high sensitivity receivers, and lost lock easily in any kind of tree cover. Any of the newer Etrex with the H after it (H, HC, HCx) have the new high sensitivity receivers and work just fine in wooded areas. The Venture HC you show is a high sensitivity receiver.

I have owned the older Etrex Legend, and now have the Etrex Legend HCx. The older one worked OK in open areas but was pretty much useless in thick tree cover, even just walking down a forested two-track. My newer Legend HCx is wonderful, never had a problem with lock, even works indoors. Just turned mine on for illustration purposes, and I had a lock in less than 30 seconds and I'm on the first floor of a two story house.

What's the difference between Legend and Venture? Not sure of all of 'em, but I think the Venture comes with fixed 24mb memory whereas the Legend has a slot for a micro SD memory card. Check the Garmin website, I believe they have a chart showing all the Etrex models and what features they have.

Hope this helps!

GGS
2010-05-12, 11:11
I've been thinking about getting me one to make trail tracks with for updating trail profiles. I ain't sure what function to look for. For me, when a GPS had the right coordinates for where I was when I stopped to check it was good enough for me.

Sgt Rock, I've been using my Etrex Legend HCx to map the North Country Trail. The Garmins come with software to download your saved tracks to a computer. I would also recommend going with the Legend HCx or Vista HCx as they have a micro SD card slot for storing things like topographical maps. I have a 2gb card in my Legend and I was able to load all the topo maps for the state of Michigan on it.

In my case I got a set of topo maps for free from a friend. If you buy them I think they can get pricey, like $100. I see the Garmin Oregon 400T mentioned by ATCamp comes pre-loaded with topo maps, although the base price is significantly more than the legend you might find the extras to be worth it. You'll have to price it out. I'm seeing refurbished Etrex Legend HCx for sale on Ebay for $166, shipping included. That's a darn good deal IMO.

ATCamp
2010-05-12, 20:53
Thanks-- very helpful!

SGT Rock
2010-05-12, 21:27
Thanks for that. That really helps.