PDA

View Full Version : Working with sheet titanium

Hog On Ice
2010-06-15, 16:59
I've been casually thinking of putting together a Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy wood stove (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm) made out of Ti and sized appropriately for my particular pot size.

What I am wondering about is working with the Ti sheet metal - by repute a difficult prospect. Also wondering about the thickness - 0.020 or 0.16 inch have been mentioned in various forums for similar projects. Also the type of metal since I think there are some forms of Ti that are somewhat easier to work with than others.

Anyways if someone has any opinions as to these questions or has a vendor who already does make a Nomad Little Dandy in Ti, please let me know.

Two Speed
2010-06-15, 18:40
This ain't gonna help much, but back in the day Lanthar had a link to a website where they'd pretty much cut steel any way you wanted. Not sure if they worked titanium, though. Spent a few minutes futzing around looking for the link and couldn't find it.

The part that bugs me is the idea of a Lil Dandy in titanium has crossed my mind once or twice. If the Nimblewell Nomad could make it work from Florida up into Canada it's gotta be a good design.

Two Speed
2010-06-15, 18:45
Got a little something (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4764&postcount=14) for you. Not quite what I was looking for, though.

Hog On Ice
2010-06-15, 18:49
I actually found a vendor for a Nomad stove in Ti : http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm but again I would like one a little smaller to better support the pot - I am probably going to switch to a 12 cm IMUSA pot and want a stove with the sides somewhat closer together than the 11 cm that Chris is selling

dixicritter
2010-06-16, 00:38
If you know exactly how you want the pieces cut and have a pattern... DC Waterjets cuts Ti. That's who we were using to cut the stove stands for us. They do good work.

Two Speed
2010-06-16, 08:45
HOI, let me know if you need a dwg or dfx file for that. Take me a day or two but I can get that done.

Hog On Ice
2010-06-16, 10:12
thanks Dixi and Two Speed

I'll probably be taking a while to play with some prototypes in Al flashing to get the sizing right before I do anything else so its going to be a while.

DC Waterjet appears to work closely with Titanium Joe as a supplier so that's who I am looking at as a source for the Titanium sheet material. Not too sure about their ordering policy wrt minimum order but it looks promising.

I'm probably going to buy one of Chris' Nomad Ti stoves to see if it can be made to work and to get a feel for using the stove

The material choices are probably down to 6AL-4V or CP and I have to figure out which one would be best for a stove like the Nomad.

Dixi - what type of material did you and Rock use for the stove stands - I suspect it was CP-1 (Commercially Pure) 0.025 inch ? Also were the slots in the stove stand cut by DC Waterjet or were they added later? The basic Nomad Lil Dandy stove design has several slots cut to hold it together and I am a little concerned as to how thin I can make the slots if DC Waterjet cuts them - thinner the better for a snug fit since I'l be using rather thin sheets.

dixicritter
2010-06-16, 10:39
thanks Dixi and Two Speed

Dixi - what type of material did you and Rock use for the stove stands - I suspect it was CP-1 (Commercially Pure) 0.025 inch ? Also were the slots in the stove stand cut by DC Waterjet or were they added later? The basic Nomad Lil Dandy stove design has several slots cut to hold it together and I am a little concerned as to how thin I can make the slots if DC Waterjet cuts them - thinner the better for a snug fit since I'l be using rather thin sheets.

You are most welcome.

We used the .016 actually. We bought it from Titanium Joe and they would ship straight to DC Waterjets for us. Everything was cut by DC Waterjets... All Rock did was send them a pattern with the specs he wanted. Lucky for me too because while he was deployed there was no way I could cut the Ti.

Hog On Ice
2010-06-16, 10:53
thanks Dixi - was my guess about the material (CP) correct?

Hog On Ice
2010-06-16, 13:32
came across another Ti woodburner : http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/p1592/Titanium-Hexagon-Backpacking-Wood-Stove/product_info.html this one looks like a possibility due to the smaller pot support section. I've ordered one of Chris' Ti Nomad stoves and I'll let y'all know how it works out. If it does not work out I may try this Hexagonal stove from Vargo.

Two Speed
2010-06-16, 13:34
Please do. Been fascinated with the idea of using a wood burner for a while.

dixicritter
2010-06-16, 23:14
thanks Dixi - was my guess about the material (CP) correct?

Actually no. Here's the page we ordered from... http://www.titaniumjoe.com/6al4v%20sheet.htm

Hog On Ice
2010-06-17, 00:42
oh well 50-50 guess and I was wrong

Thanks Dixi

SGT Rock
2010-06-17, 08:53
I always prototyped with sheet aluminum from Home Depot before cutting ti parts. I found .016 4AL6V to be perfect for all applications.

That said, I played with making a ti wood stove and still have my prototype somewhere in my parts collection. What I was working towards was something very much like that Vargo stove but without the hinge system. After all that, I think the Vargo wood stove is the bomb. I'd probably buy one of those rather than try to make my own. I wouldn't use a Vargo alcohol stove in it though, I find those a PITA and there are better designs out there.

Russell
2010-06-17, 10:05
came across another Ti woodburner : http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/p1592/Titanium-Hexagon-Backpacking-Wood-Stove/product_info.html this one looks like a possibility due to the smaller pot support section. I've ordered one of Chris' Ti Nomad stoves and I'll let y'all know how it works out. If it does not work out I may try this Hexagonal stove from Vargo.

The fine print on this stove says it cost $500 to ship it to the US, check it out.
(pun intended)

Hog On Ice
2010-06-17, 10:59
hummm I must have missed the fine print - is the $500 some sort of customs thing?

SGT Rock
2010-06-17, 14:22
Hobo dick-cheese tax

saimyoji
2010-06-17, 14:27
Hobo dick-cheese tax

hhmmmm....dick-cheese? did you pick that up in iraq? :aetsch:

SGT Rock
2010-06-17, 14:35
http://www.realmofdarkness.net/sounds/cruise/cruise-soundboard-3.htm

Scroll down to this:

I got a better idea. Instead of a hundred million, how about I send you a hobo's dick cheese?

I couldn't figure out how to copy the link since it is embedded in a java script.

Hog On Ice
2010-06-17, 18:08
Hobo dick-cheese tax

better known as Fromunda cheese

Hog On Ice
2010-06-18, 12:43
Ok I finally dug through the Vargo order process and I see where the $500 comes in - it only applies if you are in the United States and you select World shipping instead of UPS or USPS - probably their way of saying "don't do this"

SGT Rock
2010-06-18, 13:18
LOL, never thought of that. When I was making stoves I should have charged $500 for a simmer plate.

Two Speed
2010-06-18, 22:55
Mmmmm, retard tax. We oughta look into that.

Nearly Normal
2010-06-19, 07:54
2/3 of what you already pay is retard tax.

Hog On Ice
2010-06-25, 12:56
I received the Ti Nomad stove from Chris Randall today - only 9 days after ordered which I figure is pretty good from the UK - it was sent registered air mail so I had to sign for it but I figure that is probably the only delivery confirmation Chris has when sending international mail.

Initial impressions
weight of the stove by itself looks to be very close to 4 ounces as was advertised - 5 ounces when including the rather nice pack cloth envelope and two small stakes for holding the sides tight

it looks good for supporting my 12 cm IMUSA pot - the side to side distance is 9 cm instead of the 11 cm which is what I thought it was going to be so there is enough metal under the pot for good support

one difference in design from the pics on Chris' website is that the top edge uses smooth round cuts instead of the truncate triangular cut shown on the website - I consider this an improvement since it allows the gas flow to cover more of the bottom of the pot

one item not mentioned but also useful is that the floor of the stove can be set to two different positions - a low (standard) position for when burning wood and a higher position that would allow the stove to act as a windscreen for an alcohol or Esbit type stove

when I figure out how to take pics and post them I add some pics to the thread - I plan on testing the stove this weekend - I am hoping that the Hexagon stove from Vargo will arrive soon (its been rattling around the USPS sort facilities for the last 3 days) so that I can test both at the same time.

SGT Rock
2010-07-01, 23:07
Looking forward to seeing that.

Hog On Ice
2010-07-02, 16:12
well Rock I got some pictures of the two stoves setup and burning but they are on my home machine and I won't be home for a while (3-4 weeks) - initial impressions for the Hexagon stove:

- goes together somewhat easier than the Nomad since it just flows together then a snap holds it together
- the door does not completely close off the opening but its close enough for the design
- getting the snap undone is a SOB - enough so that I am thinking of making the slot that the snap goes into larger - the snap itself is just a tab of the Ti base formed around a round object and for whatever reason it holds really forking well

Initial burn test for each stove - conditions calm wind - this may be important for distinguishing between the two stoves

- Nomad really burned well with minimal startup time - I just tossed in some small wood sticks and my usual olive oil / tissue firestarter and it worked well
- Hexagon under the same conditions did not burn as well - I suspect that the sticks need to be better arranged and or the fire needs to be well established before sticking the pot on - IMO the stove with the pot and door closed has air flow issues - with the door open most of the flame went out the door and not really under the pot

wind notes - the wind was calm - I suspect that the Hexagon stove would have worked better if there had been a modest wind - the Nomad is pretty light and in a strong wind will probably need to be staked down if there is no pot holding it down

anyways I took the Nomad with me to NH (where I am at this time) and I will be trying to use it enough to get a good feel for its use in various conditions Note I also brought a canistere stove for those times when the Nomad is giving me any trouble.

Rock, what I am thinking of doing is to send you both stoves went I get back home and let you have a better look at both of them.

SGT Rock
2010-07-03, 08:00
I'd love to play with them.

Hog On Ice
2010-07-13, 10:54
well I am unexpectedly back home due to some back trouble that was really nailing me in NH - the promised pics are attached - these initial pics show the package size, the unassembled parts, and the assembled stove with two views:

Hog On Ice
2010-07-13, 10:59
these next pics show the stoves in use:

Hog On Ice
2010-07-13, 11:03
other notes:

- the pics are not the best due to my hands shaking - one reason I seldom take any pictures

- putting the wood in the stove and lighting the fire is somewhat easier with the Nomad than the Hexagon but in both cases my hands shaking tends to make it more difficult than a normal (ie no tremors) person would find it to be

- I have forwarded both stoves to SGT Rock so that he can take a look at them

SGT Rock
2010-07-14, 08:47
I'm planning to take them out with me this weekend. I'll try cooking some steaks on the nomad. Looks like the hex would be better suited for just boiling water.

SGT Rock
2010-07-14, 17:03
well I am unexpectedly back home due to some back trouble that was really nailing me in NH - the promised pics are attached - these initial pics show the package size, the unassembled parts, and the assembled stove with two views:

Hope your back gets to feeling better. That has got to suck :banghead:

SGT Rock
2010-07-18, 21:12
Hey HOI, I set the things up last night out in the woods, but it was so darn hot I couldn't muster my motivation up to play with the fire boxes.

Hog On Ice
2010-07-19, 09:54
that's OK - take your time and play with them when you can - did you find the dnap on the Hexagon to be difficult to undo?

SGT Rock
2010-07-19, 20:39
Not really.