PDA

View Full Version : Blueberry Patch

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 17:54
I have heard lots of good stuff about the blueberry patch near dick's creek gap.....what's the real story???

Gravityman
2003-01-08, 18:11
Well, I have heard a lot of really good things too, but we weren't that thrilled about it. Very God oriented, so if you are into that, you will LOVE it, but if you aren't the church music at breakfast will make you feel guilty for having seconds, and the pancakes were (Oh my - I'll end up you-know-were for saying this) microwaved. The blueberry sauce was to die for though!

My wife and I agree that the next time we go through there we will most likely go for the hotel, as the suggested donation was $17pp. For two people, it's a hotel room (I know, a hotel is NOTHING like a hostel). Of course if we are with a group by that point, and they want to stay there, then we are more likely to go with the flow. That's the way things work out on trial isn't it...

gravityman

PushingDaisies
2003-01-08, 19:28
Originally posted by Gravityman
Well, I have heard a lot of really good things too, but we weren't that thrilled about it. Very God oriented, so if you are into that, you will LOVE it, but if you aren't the church music at breakfast will make you feel guilty for having seconds....

LOL about the seconds.

The owners were very nice and I had a good time there, but like Gravityman would stay elsewhere my second time around. I plan to go into town to resupply and then hitch out again. There is a shelter a few miles before and after town that I will probably stay at.

Footslogger
2003-01-08, 20:40
In 2001, BA Turtle and I bypassed the Blueberry Patch and went into town. Stayed at Mull's. Extremely convenient to stores, restaurants and laundry. Easy hitch back out to Dicks Creek Gap to catch the trail north. Not quite sure what I'll do this year. Know other hikers who are using the BB Patch as a mail drop and staying there. I'm not planning on a drop there so don't have that attachment.

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 22:40
christian music at breakfast..REALLY, this isn't like a mission thing where they try to "SAVE your soul" is it??

Moose
2003-01-08, 22:50
Gary and Lennie are good people and run a good hostel. Gary is a past thru hiker. Yes they are christians and yes the pray at breakfast. So what. They never preach to you or attempt to get you to do something you don't want to do. They run a hostel to support hikers but they run it on their terms. We should be grateful to them for keeping the hostel open instead of running them down for their lifestyle.

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-08, 22:57
Moose ..I don't think anyone has run them down because of thier lifestlye...just a question..Its good to know about these things before you go somewhere and be around something that you might not want to be around. I know that I for one am glad to know about this..

Moose
2003-01-08, 23:06
Sorry Steve.. bad choice of words on my part. Just hate to see a couple of good folks who go out of their way to help all hikers get anything but the highest praise.

Lone Wolf
2003-01-08, 23:10
What Moose said. I've known Gary for 12 years. I hiked a little with he and his son in 91. They're damn good people. No hidden agendas. Be thankful they're there.

Gravityman
2003-01-09, 11:32
He really doesn't try to convert you! They were pretty good about that. It did make my wife (who's father is Jewish) very uncomfortable. If we had known, we wouldn't have stayed there either. I wish they put that in the guide books. He did stay that he was starting a minestry with the money from donations, which also made it uncomfortable since we didn't really want to support that. We told ourselves it was for the services received...

gravity man

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-09, 12:17
thanks gravity man..my mothers jewish. kinda disappointing I was looking forward to staying there. I would probably be uncomfortable too. it's good to know these things up front ..once you check in and get unpacked after a day of hiking it is hard to get up and go somewhere else esp if you have sent a maildrop.