PDA

View Full Version : How to Shit in the Woods

flyfisher
2003-03-28, 15:14
How to Shit in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer

Ten Speed Press 1989

ISBN 0-89815-627-0

Essential advice if you have not gotten the skill down. I thought I knew everything about the subject, but I learned a thing or two.

Kathleen and I will never agree about Giardia, but she goes with the majority. Women may appreciate the effort to give them every idea they need for a month in the woods, though my wife showed great distain at the title. My son wondered why I had a book named THAT in the house.

A note on the title: In the Author's note, she writes:

"For several years, [this book] lay dormant, a collection of scatttered ideas on scraps of lined yellow paper tucked in a drawer, while I grappled with a seemingly insurmonutable problem: termminology. How was I to refer to this STUFF that is pushed and squirted out of the body in response to eating and drinking?"

The answer to the question led to the title...

4.5/5 in my book. Not a coffee table book when the preacher is coming by, but it belongs in the library.

DebW
2003-08-26, 14:28
I thought it needed another chapter on "How to Shit in the Woods in the Winter When the Snow is Six Feet Deep". Maybe I should write one. If you've ever failed to pack the snow down under your bum before you squat, you know what I mean. And then there's snow as a TP substitute. Utterly refreshing! But I could never decide if I should do it with or without mittens on (without usually won).

wanashunkaha
2005-10-29, 21:10
I bought this book recently, thought it was great. I give it a 5 star rating.

Spartan hiker
2005-10-29, 22:19
Been awhile since I read this book. I may need to re-visit it.

bird dog
2005-11-02, 20:13
I bought this book recently, thought it was great. I give it a 5 star rating.

Interesting. Couldnt find it on Amazon. Anywhere else I could look? BD

Rage in a Cage
2005-11-02, 23:44
Amazon has it here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898156270/ref=pd_sim_b_4/002-9788202-6996041?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance I bought a copy at Walden's a few months ago.

deadeye
2005-11-03, 13:23
I thought it needed another chapter on "How to Shit in the Woods in the Winter When the Snow is Six Feet Deep". Maybe I should write one. If you've ever failed to pack the snow down under your bum before you squat, you know what I mean. And then there's snow as a TP substitute. Utterly refreshing! But I could never decide if I should do it with or without mittens on (without usually won).

Snow is indeed a wonderfully refreshing "personal cleaner." Whether you use snow or paper, my only advice (a plea, really) is to do your winter business far from the trail. It's not pleasant to do spring trailwork or early season hiking, and find trailside trees "decorated!" Think "how did that get up there?" :confused:

incognito
2005-12-31, 20:17
Great little book.

It says all that is needed to kill the gerardia bug is to get your water to boil. I thought it had to for at least 10 min. Ilearned something from it .

PKH
2006-01-01, 06:32

Yeah Deb - but not so wonderful and refreshing when the snow has an icy crust, is basically comprised of hard, nasty granules, and all available plant material is covered in hoar frost or even a couple of millimetres of ice. It's like wiping your behind with a snow cone and following up with melting glass shards!
She definitely could have had a whole chapter on that.

Cheers,

PKH