PDA

View Full Version : LED colored filters for headlamps

KevinM7137
2010-06-23, 18:05
I am new to the group (hello, group), but am an old salt when it comes to living with raccoons and smelling like an autopsy. Some of the new gear makes my head spin.

I have a question re the best color of LED headlamp filter for preserving night vision. I like to hike at night without any light if I can manage it, mostly because I'd rather learn there's another human being on this trail before he spots me. I've seen Deliverance and Blair Witch too many times to be frivolous on the trail at night, and me with my reputation for mocking rural Southerners.

Any advice on the matter of the headlamp filters would be much appreciated. Comments on my taste in movies or America's rural demographic I can live without.

Cheers!:beer:

taildragger
2010-06-23, 18:26
Red, simple as that.

Long wavelength light helps preserve night vision, hence why red is usually available on headlamps.

Gaiter
2010-06-26, 12:26
and if you have a headlamp already but just need a filter for it you can request a 'gel swatch book'
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WN67CDGWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

if u have a near by theatrical supply store, they will have them, typically for free, just ask for one, don't tell them its so you can cut it up for a headlamp, if you decide you need a larger piece, most us theatrical supplies carry rosco so just ask for a sheet of r26 (primary red) typically around $7

i think apollo still mails them for free:
http://www.internetapollo.com/ContactUs/MarketingMaterials.aspx click on 'Apollo Gel Swatch Book (single)'

or i'm not sure if it will come w/ a gel book but u can also try gam and click on 'GAM Colors' http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/request.php

if u want an easy excuse for why u need a swatch book just say u are working on a kids show... or something like that.... once u get the swatch book you can simple cut out the red swatch or whatever color u choose

Superman
2010-06-26, 13:43
I am new to the group (hello, group), but am an old salt when it comes to living with raccoons and smelling like an autopsy. Some of the new gear makes my head spin.

I have a question re the best color of LED headlamp filter for preserving night vision. I like to hike at night without any light if I can manage it, mostly because I'd rather learn there's another human being on this trail before he spots me. I've seen Deliverance and Blair Witch too many times to be frivolous on the trail at night, and me with my reputation for mocking rural Southerners.

Any advice on the matter of the headlamp filters would be much appreciated. Comments on my taste in movies or America's rural demographic I can live without.

Cheers!:beer:

Welcome.
Save your money to save your night vision and don't buy a red lenz for your light. When someone pops a flare just keep one eye closed.:afraid:

Lugnut
2010-06-26, 15:15
Welcome.
Save your money to save your night vision and don't buy a red lenz for your light. Just keep one eye closed, when someone pops a flare you'll be ready to see all the other hikers around you.:afraid:

Boy that's an old Army trick. I still do that without even thinking about it if I get up at night. Same thing with stepping off with the left foot.

KevinM7137
2010-06-28, 03:07
Awesome responses, folks! I am psyched on this LED headlamp scenario, and much appreciate the input.

john pickett
2010-06-28, 16:48
Kevin,
You may want to consider a green filter rather than red. The human eye is more sensitive to light in the green portion of the spectrum. The ideal is to use no more light than you must to view the surroundings. More light than that , whether red or green, will cause your cornea to contract reducing the available light striking the retina.
Regards,
John Pickett ( former HM-1, USNR)

KevinM7137
2010-06-29, 22:18
Okay, John Pickett, you now have my attention. I can buy a Petzl Tak Tikka Plus in either red filter or green. People seem to favor the red, but you say green.

Hath anyone else a viewpoint on green versus red? I'd rather not but both. I only want a filter that enables me to see what's in front of me with the least impact on my night vision, as well as being as "invisible" as possible to other, potentially hostile hillbilly rapist hikers or minions of the Blair Witch. Decent, well-brought-up hikers I can deal with.

Thoughts, group?

Ray
2010-06-29, 22:34
.....Thoughts, group?Tough one.

Hostile hillbilly rapists are more attracted to red; Blair Witch minions to green.

Superman
2010-06-29, 23:09
Okay, John Pickett, you now have my attention. I can buy a Petzl Tak Tikka Plus in either red filter or green. People seem to favor the red, but you say green.

Hath anyone else a viewpoint on green versus red? I'd rather not but both. I only want a filter that enables me to see what's in front of me with the least impact on my night vision, as well as being as "invisible" as possible to other, potentially hostile hillbilly rapist hikers or minions of the Blair Witch. Decent, well-brought-up hikers I can deal with.

Thoughts, group?

Put a red laser on the center of mass.

Gaiter
2010-06-30, 00:14

Thoughts, group?

okay now you've brought out my dorky side

well greens tend to have low transmission, but they also have alot of red in them too:
http://www.rosco.com/images/filters/roscolux/386.jpg
but u can argue the same about blues, but u can see that this blue has alot of red in it and allows alot of wavelengths through:
http://www.rosco.com/images/filters/roscolux/80.jpg

and for shits and giggles here is red to compare....
http://www.rosco.com/images/filters/roscolux/26.jpg
but when it comes down to it the chances of you having good color filters like these aren't to good, red tends to be the easiest for the human eye, but w/ the right blue, u r even better off... i would go w/ blue before green, but thats my opinion

Lugnut
2010-06-30, 00:18
TMI ! :ahhhhh:

Gaiter
2010-06-30, 00:49
TMI ! :ahhhhh:

yeah i know, but i can't help it

Big Mac
2010-06-30, 11:17
Dork

Gaiter
2010-06-30, 15:38
Dork

:girl::girl::girl:

taildragger
2010-06-30, 15:47
I'd go with getting an LED with a red light option, then you have no worries WRT the filter.

Red will have almost no light impact due to its nature and your eyes nature, green would work, but green will usually be "brighter", so you might lose more night vision.

A very weak blue might work well since thats what you are looking at in moonlight anyways (I don't have a scientific reasoning here, my camera's just seem to shoot "blue-er" at night)

john pickett
2010-06-30, 19:11
Well, Gaiter went right over my head with those graphs.
I was a corpsman (medic) not an electronics technician.
When you look through a night vision device, you see green
light making the image. This, I understand, is because the human eye
registers the green light wavelength better than other wavelengths.
The NVG needs to magnify the strength of the image falling on the objective so the image is visible in the ocular element. Making the image green
simplifies that task.
Regards,
John Pickett

KevinM7137
2010-07-02, 16:52
So, red attracts hillbilly rapists and green attracts the minions of the Blair Witch...

Is a blue lens available?

Skidsteer
2010-07-02, 17:43
So, red attracts hillbilly rapists and green attracts the minions of the Blair Witch...

Is a blue lens available?

Blue attracts hordes of drunken, zombie Hobos.

Kanga
2010-07-02, 18:20
Blue attracts hordes of drunken, zombie Hobos.

Run, kevinm7137! RUN!!!

Geo.
2010-07-03, 22:53
Here ya go...

http://www.equipped.com/nitevision.htm

Red or green but keep it lean.

:cool:

Ray
2010-07-04, 08:06
Blue attracts hordes of drunken, zombie Hobos.Who are you calling a horde?