PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking with kids

blackdog
2010-06-27, 09:09
My daughter wants to follow me into the woods. She is seven years old and my choice of shelter is a HennessyHammock Explorer Asym (Classic). Where does she sleep? In a hammock of her own or with me in the Explorer?

Hog On Ice
2010-06-27, 09:16
you both will sleep much better with separate hammocks - hang them close enough together so you can talk to your daughter but not so close that any movement in one hammock causes the other to move

blackdog
2010-06-27, 09:38
Where would I find a hammock small enough for her? All HH are intended for hikers older than twelve...

Hog On Ice
2010-06-27, 09:54
I can't say as I have seen an age limit on HH - the HH that I thought of was the Scout or the Ultralite Backpacker

personally I would probably go with something like an ENO Single with a bug net sock but even that is larger than what you need

have you considered making a hammock for her ? - its a relatively easy project with many sites on the web giving directions

blackdog
2010-06-27, 16:24
Have you considered making a hammock for her ? - its a relatively easy project with many sites on the web giving directions

Yes, that option has been considered, but getting the material is a bit tricky here. The wilderness is close here but everything else is... well... far far away.

We bought a HH for a child (my girlfriend's daughter) and we were recommended not to let her use it without supervision. She's ten years old.

blackdog
2010-06-27, 18:01
Personally I would probably go with something like an ENO Single with a bug net sock but even that is larger than what you need.

Maybe a kids' hammock (http://www.ticketothemoon.com/en/tttm-shop-hammock.html?size=baby) by Ticket to the Moon might be close enough to what i am looking for? I found it after some manical googling...

Hog On Ice
2010-06-28, 07:25
perhaps it would be OK but the 1.5 m length and 0.75 m width seems small to me for any child over 3 or 4 years old

dixicritter
2010-06-28, 09:54
This is the hammock our 12 year old has been using since he was about 6 or 7... http://hennessyhammock.com/adventure-racer.html

blackdog
2010-06-28, 11:43
perhaps it would be OK but the 1.5 m length and 0.75 m width seems small to me for any child over 3 or 4 years old

Didn't see that but yes, you're so right. It's back to the drawing board again. It seems there's a gap in what the market offers. The Scout is too big, that much is certain. The Adventure Racer is indeed smaller but quite expensive too. I wish there was a junior model based on the Explorer Asym.

OK... A small bottom-entry hammock with bug net... Has anyone built one? :albertein

Russell
2010-06-28, 14:35
Didn't see that but yes, you're so right. It's back to the drawing board again. It seems there's a gap in what the market offers. The Scout is too big, that much is certain. The Adventure Racer is indeed smaller but quite expensive too. I wish there was a junior model based on the Explorer Asym.

OK... A small bottom-entry hammock with bug net... Has anyone built one? :albertein

I would ask that question to the hammock makers.

taildragger
2010-06-28, 15:04
Just a thought, but if this is her first woods outing, why not just let her take the hammock and then descend to the ground? This way, if she decides that she is not into camping, you're not out a hammock.

blackdog
2010-06-28, 17:30
Just a thought, but if this is her first woods outing, why not just let her take the hammock and then descend to the ground? This way, if she decides that she is not into camping, you're not out a hammock.

It's not her first time in the woods, but we usually go tenting when the four of us get together (my new love lives with her daughter 700 kilometers from us). The two young ones decided to have a tent of their own the first time we were camping and they have kept doing so since. The change in attitude comes from the fact that we gave a hammock to the older daughter as a birthday gift and now the younger one wants one too. Hammocking outdoors is comfortable and it would be wonderful if they could learn how to do it too. Maybe inspire other kids to try hammocking too?

Is it possible to sleep two girls (age 7 and 10) in one hammock?

dixicritter
2010-06-28, 18:40
There are many hangers over on hammockforums.net that have done lots of experiments with making their own hammocks. I made a top loader for myself a couple of years ago, just hadn't figured out the bug net solution until Rock found one over there.

Getting fabric online is one option for those that don't have a store close to them. I'm not sure what shipping costs you would run into though.

GGS
2010-06-29, 01:28
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but why again couldn't a youth use a full size HH hammock?

Just seems to me she'd have extra room, and need smaller diameter trees to hang from. (shrug)

dixicritter
2010-06-29, 11:19
They can... our oldest son has used one for many years now.

blackdog
2010-07-12, 15:52
Sorry for being invisible...

My thought was that a smaller hammock would be lighter to carry.

SGT Rock
2010-07-12, 16:09
It would be. If you plan to get a smaller hammock for a child I would recommend sewing your own for now. 3 yards of material at clearance is about $6, and the cord is 3mm climbing accessory cord, I think it doesn't cost much. Hem the sides and whip the ends, then add attachment cord. A hammock can be made for less than $12 (except for the tarp). Adding a net can cost a little more if you need a bug net. Dixi made me a "sock" for about $6 in materials.

blackdog
2010-08-16, 17:36
OK, we've been experimenting a bit... We brought three hammocks with us into our vacation plans along with the two tents. Both our kids played with them like they were big toys but having fun is a good step in the right direction. ...and having fun can result in fantastic memories too. We will definitely keep on experimenting, both young and old.

My love used my hammock for taking mid day naps and i used it myself after dinner. A few of the people along the trail asked us what it was and we used the latest one to demonstrate it to them. Most of them wanted to try so the demo hammock proved to be necessary. Both hammocks handled sun and rain very well, even the night we had of thunder pours. We slept in tents during the nights, mainly because we had to be able to house all of us in one place in case something scared the little ones. Sleeping next to the love of my life was another reason for not using the hammocks during nights.

Moving the HHs from one place to another was swift and easy. We tried different places and compared tension and lashing methods. I think we could lash a hammock even in pitch black darkness by now but i hope i never have to.

We also tried different pads. The weather was warm both weeks so we both agreed that the Exped Multimat was a good choice. Different weather will probably need a different pad. The exped mat was used for a long list of things and it was never allowed to stay in the hammocks after our naps. We had most meals on it. A clever idea, combining EVA foam and silnylon like that. We brought two mats and the other one was our outer tent floor.

The biggest surprise was cooking meals with a standard Trangia stove. We both expected it to be awkward and time-consuming, but it never was. The experiences of burning alcohol inspired me to think about some diy-ing again.

One more thing...
A really big hug to Anne H from us for helping us pick a much appreciated birthday gift. We can't thank you enough. She loved the colour.

Foot note: The third hammock was never needed during this car camping trip, but it will probably be used the next time out. ...and yes, I should be sleeping by now but i miss the sounds of the forrest.

latremorej
2010-08-24, 04:49
My daughter is 8. About 85lbs. No trouble with my HH scout

SGT Rock
2010-08-24, 10:44
Sounds like a great time. I love hiking with my kids and see them have a blast at it. It seems to make it all new again for us old farts.