PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear in New England

KevinM7137
2010-07-05, 05:14
Greetings, all! I have decided, as a preliminary activity leading up to my 50th birthday, the incentive to lose 35 pounds of middle-aged fat, and concomitant with this agenda am taking long walks in the middle of the night. I work the night shift, and so don't have much opportunity to stroll amidst the rays of noonday sun. So I patrol my neighborhood in rural Vermont any time from 1 am to daybreak (around 5am).

And yet, I am told that there are black bears about, and strolling the woodlands abutting the roads at the same time. Now, I realize that if Yours Truly were to become a tasty snack for a black bear in Vermont, it would be front page news, as no-one I know can recall anyone being eaten, assaulted or even offended by a black bear in this state from Year One. Additionally, I have reason to believe that few animals, even starving ones, would find me particularly rewarding as a meal. This is a fact of which I take some small measure of pride.

But my next door neighbor bumped into one on her 5am walk just last month, and she is still shedding hair from the opprobrious experience. It was engaged in a roadkill that she and two friends approached during their early morning walk, and she assured one and all that it was not a pleasant exchange of political views that ensued from the meeting. There was, in fact, lots of screaming and running involved.

So: what's the advice of the group? Bear mace? A SureFire 200 lumen flashlight? Or the tried and trusted Smith & Wesson Model 29 ("There's just one question you gotta ask yourself, Yogi. Do I fell lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?!").

Black bears are not grizzlies, nor am I particularly worried. But still, they are around and I wish to prepare myself in stronger fashion than, say, being able to quote Christopher Hitchens or give them a dose of my breath.

Anyone here have experience with the New England Black Bear?

Gaiter
2010-07-05, 07:48
yeah i sang to him, he stayed away, no weapons or extra shit to carry

Ray
2010-07-05, 08:47
I tried that bear mace stuff once. I guess it worked and kept all bears away but no other hikers would get near me either.

Tin Man
2010-07-05, 09:19
One time I asked the bear 'do you shit in the woods?' He said, 'yes, and it smells like mace, got any?'

Big Mac
2010-07-05, 13:37
Go with the flashlight so you can see where you are going and what is ahead. You shouldn't need anything else.

JAK
2010-07-05, 22:19
They are definitely out there. 1 every 2 square miles here, but I never see them, so they do a pretty good job evading me. Still, I carry a long staff when I hike with my daughter, and keep her close. It's something. Better than a thumb up the ass if a bear ever does make an appearance.

Superman
2010-07-06, 21:54
Don't worry...the bear won't eat you all up...it will only eat the tasty parts.:afraid:

saimyoji
2010-07-07, 01:16
Don't worry...the bear won't eat you all up...it will only eat the tasty parts.:afraid:

twig and berries? :albertein

Spogatz
2010-07-07, 14:09
I am of the school that you need to mask your scent with another. Thats why I put peanut butter all over my body when in the woods.

It's not working for some reason....

Two Speed
2010-07-07, 14:14
Prolly oughta put peanut butter on one side, honey on the other. That oughta fix things up just fine.

woodsy
2010-07-07, 16:10
Anyone here have experience with the New England Black Bear?

Places that have a hunting season on Black Bears, like VT have next to no problems with Bear attacking humans, just don't get between momma and cub(s) or try stealing their roadkill.

The hunting season on them keeps them scared of people.

The ones i've see ran away faster than i could.

I don't carry anything for bear protection and have never needed anything in these parts.

sheepdog
2010-07-07, 16:12
do you carry anything in the national parks??

scary bears in most NPs

woodsy
2010-07-07, 16:15
No, Acadia is pretty tame. :aetsch:

SGT Rock
2010-07-07, 16:34
Little River sells a bunch of that stuff.

taildragger
2010-07-07, 16:50
If you do decide to carry something get some bear mace, at the very least it can be used on feral dogs or people throwing down their boots at wal-mart

Kanga
2010-07-07, 19:14
If you do decide to carry something get some bear mace, at the very least it can be used on feral dogs or people throwing down their boots at wal-mart

Well played!:beer:

KevinM7137
2010-07-18, 04:05
Many thanks for the responses, everyone. This feedback has put what in another normal person would be called a mind at rest.