PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive bear, Plum Orchard Shelter

Two Speed
2010-07-06, 22:39
According to a normally reliable sourrce:
A hiker was chased into the upper level of the Plum Orchard Shelter today (Tuesday July 6, 2010) by a very aggressive black bear. The hiker's back in Hiawassee tonight and planning on taking a bus home tomorrow. The encounter cost him one hiking pole and presumably a clean pair of shorts, but nothing else as far as I know.

Big Mac
2010-07-07, 12:49
According to a normally reliable sourrce:

The hiker is going to let one bear encounter chase them off the trail?

(Or is it the dirty shorts?)

taildragger
2010-07-07, 12:53
The hiker is going to let one bear encounter chase them off the trail?

(Or is it the dirty shorts?)

He's off to mourn the loss of his hiking pole

sheepdog
2010-07-07, 13:58
I'll bet the guy he was hiking with did the old

"bacon in you buddies pack trick"

I love that one

DesertReprobate
2010-07-07, 14:49
He should have distracted the bear with the cat

generoll
2010-07-07, 15:51
OK guys. He's a young man who had been hiking from Springer with his girlfriend until he reached Hiawassee. His GF left and after a day or so he headed on down the trail. He's seen bears along the trail and always had them back off until this encounter. In this case the bear followed him into the shelter and chased him into the upper loft. As you are no doubt aware, the Plum Orchard Shelter is a tri-level affair with a small sleeping loft at the top. The hiker went up there and the bear followed after him, where the hiker tried to fend off the bear with his hiking poles. He lost one pole, but ultimately the bear went away long enough for the hiker to exit the shelter and head back to Dicks Creek. He had one further encounter with the/a bear on the way back to Dicks Creek and was well and truly frightened. His 911 call was answered, but no action taken.

No doubt all you intrepid woodsmen would have dealt with the bear with a sharp stick and had steak for supper, but this kid was scared and just wanted to go home.

I called the USFS today to report the incident and after speaking with (a:) a functional illiterate, (b:) a candidate for a GED, (c:) and finally someone with functioning neurons I was told that they were in meeting at that time discussing the problem bear on Blood Mountain. The person I spoke with actually made the connection and thought someone might return my call.

taildragger
2010-07-07, 15:54
So, what the hell did he do to his GF that would cause her to sick a bear on him?

sheepdog
2010-07-07, 15:58
OK guys. He's a young man who had been hiking from Springer with his girlfriend until he reached Hiawassee. His GF left and after a day or so he headed on down the trail. He's seen bears along the trail and always had them back off until this encounter. In this case the bear followed him into the shelter and chased him into the upper loft. As you are no doubt aware, the Plum Orchard Shelter is a tri-level affair with a small sleeping loft at the top. The hiker went up there and the bear followed after him, where the hiker tried to fend off the bear with his hiking poles. He lost one pole, but ultimately the bear went away long enough for the hiker to exit the shelter and head back to Dicks Creek. He had one further encounter with the/a bear on the way back to Dicks Creek and was well and truly frightened. His 911 call was answered, but no action taken.

No doubt all you intrepid woodsmen would have dealt with the bear with a sharp stick and had steak for supper, but this kid was scared and just wanted to go home.

I called the USFS today to report the incident and after speaking with (a:) a functional illiterate, (b:) a candidate for a GED, (c:) and finally someone with functioning neurons I was told that they were in meeting at that time discussing the problem bear on Blood Mountain. The person I spoke with actually made the connection and thought someone might return my call.

that's flat out scary stuff. Looks like the bear has gotta go.

Was this same bear causing problems last year also?

sheepdog
2010-07-07, 16:01
Oh by the way

I always carry bear spray especially around trails were tourons feed bears and try to make nice with them.

Big Mac
2010-07-07, 16:19

Thanks for the rest of the story. My initial reply was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. It certainly does sound a bit scary. Good information for someone planning a hike through that area as well.

Nobody takes anything Two Speed says seriously. Just sayin . . . :biggrin:

dixicritter
2010-07-07, 16:31

I'm glad the young man wasn't hurt.

SGT Rock
2010-07-07, 16:33
Mmmmm, bear steak on a bear stake.

Nearly Normal
2010-07-07, 22:33
Sounds like that bear needs killin.

saimyoji
2010-07-08, 00:18
Sounds like that bear needs killin an grillin.

there, fixed that for ya. :beer:

GGS
2010-07-08, 01:24
Scary stuff. I can't imagine going through that experience myself. If I were that young lad it would be a long time before I would be ready for any solo hiking, especially one that featured any solo overnights.

I agree that any bear that exhibits this kind of behavior should be put down. I vote for the killin' and grillin'...

Fortunately these encounters are rare. But try to tell yourself that when you're out in bear country by yourself and the night noises of the forest gives you the spooks. I hike/camp with a pair of labs and that helps a lot. But they can get spooked too, and then what do you do!

Two Speed
2010-07-08, 10:15
. . . they were in meeting at that time discussing the problem bear on Blood Mountain . . .Idle curiosity on my part, but anyone got a trail guide or map handy? I'd like to know how far it is from Blood to Plum Orchard.

43.7 miles.

generoll
2010-07-08, 12:18
Come on over Saturday night or Sunday morning and we'll go clean up the campsite together. Should the bear attack us over a piece of summer sausage, I get the hide. You can have the steaks.

I'd planned to go today and take care of the campsite with Casper and my M91/59, but my wife had a screaming fit and when that didn't work she called my daughter and between the two of them I caved. Keep in mind that this is the woman who called the cops on me when I was slightly delayed returning from Deep Gap one night.

cool breeze
2010-07-08, 12:39
You didn't have to tell her where you were going.

Two Speed
2010-07-08, 12:54
Come on over Saturday night or Sunday morning . . . Yeah, gotta do that one day soon. Need to get that coffee press out of the truck; prolly screwing my gas mileage up.

DesertReprobate
2010-07-08, 13:15
You didn't have to tell her where you were going.

That didn't work out so well the last time

generoll
2010-07-08, 13:37
That didn't work out so well the last time

True dat

Ray
2010-07-08, 14:36
Saturday I'm doing the DRT from Fish Gap west to the BMT then the BMT north to the road crossing at some gap whose name I forget. Just seeing if there's anything major wrong with the DRT that needs a crew to handle. Might slingblade some blackberries. Staying Saturday night somewhere out there.

If I see a bear it'll be the first critter I've ever seen on that stretch of Trail.

generoll
2010-07-08, 14:38
yeah, I guess the bear are like fisherman, they go where the fish are.

SGT Rock
2010-07-08, 15:20
Skeenah Gap?

Ray
2010-07-08, 15:25
Skeenah Gap?That's the one. I kept wanting to write "Sarvis Gap" but that's elsewhere on the DRT.

SGT Rock
2010-07-08, 17:48
Sarvis is where that campsite with the water about 10 miles down the draw is ain't it?

(OK maybe it wasn't quite 10 miles off the trail)

You ever do GPS tracks when you walk these?

Ray
2010-07-09, 13:02
Sarvis is where that campsite with the water about 10 miles down the draw is ain't it?

(OK maybe it wasn't quite 10 miles off the trail)

You ever do GPS tracks when you walk these? Sarvis is close to Fish Gap, for you it was right after that double whammy of Gregory and Payne mountains.

Sarvis' water is down a draw but it's not that bad compared to, say, Licklog where the water seems about 10 miles vertically down the draw. Or Mulky where you have to follow another road to water. Or Wolfpen where you have to hang your butt out in a busy road to get water. By DRT standards Sarvis is like a drinking fountain right on the trail.

I might take my GPS with me this time. I'd really like to take a measuring wheel.