PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Cave National Park question

Xi Bowhunter
2010-07-30, 16:39
I am wanting to do a very specific camping trip to MCNP, and I am looking for some advice.

What I want to do is hike into an area, next to a creek that I can fish, and set up camp. The Nolin River and green river seem too deep in most spots to get out and wade-fish, so I was looking at some of the area creeks as an alternative.

Are there any creekc in MCNP that would fit this bill?

SGT Rock
2010-07-31, 06:59
As I recall Raymer Hollow would fit what you are looking for. It is a little bit back off the Raymer Hollow Trail so when you get the reservation for there, you get it all to yourself. The creek was always plenty deep enough for wading in every time I went. Best route was to park at the Church and walk in on Dry Prong.

Xi Bowhunter
2010-07-31, 13:35
As I recall Raymer Hollow would fit what you are looking for. It is a little bit back off the Raymer Hollow Trail so when you get the reservation for there, you get it all to yourself. The creek was always plenty deep enough for wading in every time I went. Best route was to park at the Church and walk in on Dry Prong.

I don't have a map in front of me, what creek are you talking about? About how far off the raymer hollow trail is the creek?

SGT Rock
2010-07-31, 15:06
http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=maca&parkname=Mammoth%20Cave%20National%20Park

Campsites are listed in purple.

Have you camped there?

I'll assume you haven't. There are only a few campsites in the park and you must stay at one, you cannot camp anywhere you wan't to. You must also have a reservation for any campground for the time you plan to stay there, but the reservation is free and I only ever had one campsite I wanted to stay at unavailable when I wanted to be there.

Anyhow, the location is on the north eastern side of the trail complex. As I recall it is about 1/3 - 1/2 mile off Raymenr Hollow Trail. As I look on the map I think there use to be more Backcountry campsites but I could be wrong. It has been about 12 years or so since I last hiked in the area. As I recall the Nat Geo Map had mileages on it:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps/kentucky/234-mammoth-cave-national-park-trail-map