PDA

View Full Version : Latest Albert Pike Area update, Winding Stairs trail head is open

ouachita hiker
2010-08-06, 20:57
I just got this today, sharing with all that it could help:

Albert Pike Recreation Area remains closed – some roads opening
HOT SPRINGS, AR –Some roads closed in the wake of the June 11 flood at Albert Pike
Recreation Area in Montgomery County are now being opened according to Ouachita National Forest
officials. Albert Pike remains closed until further notice.
Roads now open include Roads 73 and 106, as well as Road 2106 which is open from Highway
369 to the trailer turnaround, but closed to vehicular traffic from the trailer turnaround to the Viles
Branch trailhead. In addition, the Winding Stair Trailhead also has been opened.
According to Caddo/Womble District Ranger Gloria Chrismer, “A portion of the Little
Missouri Trail remains closed from Road 512 to the Road 106 by Albert Pike Campground. Hikers
can detour around the closed section by hiking east on Road 512, south on Road 73 and west on Road
106.” Chrismer continued, “Also, the Viles Branch Trailhead on Forest Road 2106 and the southern
Athens Big Fork Trailhead on B23F are accessible by foot or horse travel only.”
Emergency repairs are being completed on many roads in the area; however, for public safety,
some roads and trailheads remain closed to vehicular traffic including:
 Road 512 from the second water crossing to ˝ mile east of Road 38
 Road 2106 from the trailer turnaround to the Viles Branch Trailhead
 Road B23F east of the Athens Big Fork Trail
For additional information, contact the Caddo/Womble Ranger District at 870-356-4186 or 870-

SGT Rock
2010-08-06, 21:06
Thanks for the update. I was just looking at my map for the area this week trying to imagine what it must have been like.