PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stoves?

Xi Bowhunter
2010-08-25, 14:31
I am trying to condense and lighten my hiking pack as much as possible, and from looking on the internet, in my mind the little alcohol stoves made from two coke cans seems to fit the bill of what I am looking for.

My problem is, I cant seem to get any one stove that I have made to work very well, or the way I would like them to work. I have tried the conventional alcohol stove with a small fill hole in the center and the jet holes around the rim, and it works, but it takes a long time to get it going, and it seems like you have to set the area on the outside, around on stove to heat it up to get it to burn out of the jets.

I have also tried the stove with the inner ring cut out and the jets on the side, but I could never get the jets to light, and it just burned from the big hole in the middle.

anybody have any tips on what I can change to get the stove working like I would want it to?

taildragger
2010-08-25, 14:34
You could just go uber simple and do a super cat stove. It'll take 5 minutes to make it like a pro (30 seconds for the stove, 4.5minutes to drink beer and watch it boil water).

I tried the pepsi can stoves before, I just liked the supercat since I got a faster boil time without increasing fuel consumption too much.

SGT Rock
2010-08-25, 14:41
A lot of folks using soda can stoves use something for a primer to speed up that process. I look on it the other way - I'm in no hurry so I let it go on its own no matter how slow that is.

Hog On Ice
2010-08-25, 14:48
myself I went for simplicity - a tea light candle tin

in any case one can not optimize the performance of an alcohol stove without considering all factors as a system - notable factors include type of pot, how tight the wind screen is for good air flow without loss of heat, distance from pot to burner, type of pot support, lid for the pot, even the use of a piece of foil on the bottom as a reflector can help. It is my opinion that the actual type of burner and its design is one of the lesser considerations.

SGT Rock
2010-08-25, 15:16
myself I went for simplicity - a tea light candle tin

in any case one can not optimize the performance of an alcohol stove without considering all factors as a system - notable factors include type of pot, how tight the wind screen is for good air flow without loss of heat, distance from pot to burner, type of pot support, lid for the pot, even the use of a piece of foil on the bottom as a reflector can help. It is my opinion that the actual type of burner and its design is one of the lesser considerations.

I agree pretty much all the way.

injun51
2010-09-02, 21:29
I have made so many of these that i lost count. Everytime someone see's the one i'm carrying they say how neat it is and that they want one so i give them the one i have and go about scrounging the parts for a new one. There are various stoves out there if you look. Theres even one that i bought so i could steal the design and its called a featherfire. They are made so you can control the heat. Very clever little stove and it weighs nothing. I love mine. Been using it for about 2-3 years now. If you go on youtube or instructables you will find more then enough ideas for what you are looking for. I'm pretty sure the reason your stove did'nt light the jets was because you have to set a pan directly on top of the stove. This will extinguish the inner priming flame and allow the jets on the outside to work. You have to let it burn for a mintue or two to let the alcohol get heated. :beer:

Gaiter
2010-09-06, 18:02
You could just go uber simple and do a super cat stove. It'll take 5 minutes to make it like a pro (30 seconds for the stove, 4.5minutes to drink beer and watch it boil water).

I tried the pepsi can stoves before, I just liked the supercat since I got a faster boil time without increasing fuel consumption too much.

ditto on the supercat, you also don't need a pot stand w/ supercats, just get some heavy duty aluminum foil for a wind screen, size depends on your pot