PDA

View Full Version : double rainbow or scarpa 2

taildragger
2010-10-18, 20:25
Looking to get my brother a tarptent for his wedding present. He has expressed interest in a light weight 2 person tent and I was wondering if the Scarpa would be a better tent for him than the rainbow.

His hiking/climbing is almost exclusively Western (Rockies and Sierra's). He hasn't done too much mountaineering, but has expressed interest in getting into mountaineering and ice climbing.

I figured that since he spends a fair amount of time at high elevation that the Scarpa might be the best choice, and I'd probably opt for the mesh inner since he's most active in the summer, and this tent will probably also get used when he does more relaxed hikes with his wife.

Am I wrong to think that the Scarpa will be superior, or is the rainbow still the way to go for a 3+ season tarptent.

I know that this is posted on WB and NWhikers, but I figured that I like most of the people here and value their serious responses.

SGT Rock
2010-10-18, 20:32
I'm not familiar with the Tarptent brand tents, but one I have been eying a lot lately as a good idea if I ever have to do tent camping again is the Lightheart tent. She makes a Duo tent that might meet your needs. http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Home.html

I've seen these in person a number of times and they look very cool. This weekend she even had one in Cuben that she makes only on custom orders and they ain't cheap. So far there has only been one sent out and that was to Ryan Jordan with BPL.

Skidsteer
2010-10-18, 20:41
I don't have any experience with either of those tents but I like the Hilleberg Rajd (http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewRajd.htm).

Not cheap but it has performed well in all kinds of weather for the last couple years. Never had a condensation problem.

I'm thinking of buying a spare just to get around Murphy's Corollary Law(If you find something that really works, they will stop making it.)

auburnbreeze
2010-10-18, 21:32
I need to get a good solo tent myself. Currently using Roadster and its a little heavy. Hmmmm....

taildragger
2010-10-18, 21:51
I need to get a good solo tent myself. Currently using Roadster and its a little heavy. Hmmmm....

I love my tarp for mosquito lite conditions, if its going to be buggier I like my cloudburst. The cloudburst is awesome for an all around solo, I can keep all my gear inside, sheds wind well, and can accommodate another hiker if I need it to (very nice feature when the lady friend wants to camp).

auburnbreeze
2010-10-18, 22:05
I'm in NC and I'm a mosquito magnet, there are no mosquito lite conditions except dead winter I'm afraid!!

Skidsteer
2010-10-18, 22:45
I'm in NC and I'm a mosquito magnet, there are no mosquito lite conditions except dead winter I'm afraid!!

You can borrow my Rajd to try out for a weekend the next time you make it to GA for a hike.

Cuffs
2010-10-18, 22:53
AB look at the Lightheart solo! I've seen it and love it!

TD. The LightHeart Duo is awesome too. I think Roots n Gungho just ordered one, check with them!

auburnbreeze
2010-10-18, 23:04
You can borrow my Rajd to try out for a weekend the next time you make it to GA for a hike.

Next time?

Big Mac
2010-10-19, 07:47
I don't have any experience with either of those tents but I like the Hilleberg Rajd (http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewRajd.htm).

Not cheap but it has performed well in all kinds of weather for the last couple years. Never had a condensation problem.

I'm thinking of buying a spare just to get around Murphy's Corollary Law(If you find something that really works, they will stop making it.)

I haven't seen that that one before. It looks really nice - what is "not cheap"?

Hog On Ice
2010-10-19, 07:54
$365

warraghiyagey
2010-10-19, 09:21

I'd like to try that out with you. . . :bath:

Skidsteer
2010-10-19, 09:35

I get to be on top...

Two Speed
2010-10-19, 09:37
Might wanna be more careful where you wear the sweater.

Just sayin'.

warraghiyagey
2010-10-19, 09:41
I get to be on top...

:beer::beer::beer:

Wait. . . . . . . what? . . . . . . .

taildragger
2010-10-19, 13:42
:beer::beer::beer:

Wait. . . . . . . what? . . . . . . .

Don't worry, you won't need to bring a sleeping bag then.

Looks like I'm just going to call backcountrygear and see what they say about these tents. I'm gonna pass on the lightheart since I can't get it from a store, and if he decides that he wants something like a hubba hubba more, then he can return it for that.

taildragger
2010-10-19, 14:55
Got him the scarp. Looks to be as light or lighter than the Hubba Hubba, but can have a double walled non mesh inner purchased in case he decides that he wants a true 4 season tent.

I'm kinda envious that this wasn't around when I was looking at tarptents, the design looks great for a good do it all tent.

auburnbreeze
2010-10-20, 23:53

????

Cuffs
2010-10-21, 00:12
????

Some things are better left alone... Besides Skids already has his tree stump.