PDA

View Full Version : Dixicritters' photography

BigSac
2003-04-12, 16:55
First of all I just wanted to give a shout out to our hard charging and squared away soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors in Iraq for doing such a professional job. And Geraldo, get a real job, I hear there is an opening in Rio Linda for dogcatcher.

Dixicritter I wanted to compliment you on the photography for this site. Everything is clear, well lighted and with good composition and I was a Navy Photographer during the Viet Nam era, so I know a little bit about what I am talking about. Do you use a film camera or have you gone digital? The photos look good on your site whatever it is. I really have to buy a new camera and I'll tell you why-- even though it's pretty embarrassing.

I had a film camera that I really liked , a Yashica T-4 Super, but then several years ago I fell into the muddy Sacramento River while trying to help a friend dock his 29' Chris Craft at this waterfront restaurant. The boat ran over me and I floundered around a little while untill a waiter helped get me up on the dock--then I got a standing ovation from twenty people eating lunch who witnessed the whole embarrassing incident. Strangely enough there was no alcohol involved, just a little lack of coordination. I was not hurt, but my camera no longer works. I guess it wasn't meant to be 3 ft underwater for 30 seconds. My friend and I laugh about it now, but the boss(my wife) fails to see the humor of the situation and forbids me to set foot on that boat again. By the way, my friend is originally from Mobile and he is still my friend.

Maybe I should do an after action review like they do in the Army.

dixicritter
2003-04-12, 17:26
BigSac,
Thank you for the compliments. I have gone digital. Some of the pictures were taken with my now very dead Sony Maciva....(you'll have to ask Rock about that when he gets back ;) ). The newer pics were taken with my HP PhotoSmart 215. I really liked the Sony much better, and since my mom has decided to get a new camera for herself, she's giving me her Maciva....(doing the happy dance). :D

BTW folks, we learned that cameras don't like water..... especially digital ones. :D

dixi

chief
2003-04-12, 19:15
Originally posted by BigSac
By the way, my friend is originally from Mobile and he is still my friend.
good story..

come on down to the mobile area and we'll work on yer sea-legs. been in 80 ft seas in the north atlantic and off cape town. still nothing worse than the short steep seas in the gulf of mexico, especially in a small boat. speaking of "sea-legs", it occurs to me how similar they are to "hiker-legs". takes about a month to get em, whether in a seaway or on a long trail.

slabfoot
2003-04-13, 19:52
i sure do love the zeiss lense on my t4. and don't even try to get it. now why do they always seem to discontinue my favorite cameras and running shoes?

BigSac
2003-04-17, 16:11
Dixi I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go digital. I'll check out the HP PhotoSmart 215, it seems to be working pretty good for you. I saw a new model in a local store last weekend that I liked(Olympus Stylus Digital 300), but they wanted $400 for it. Seems like a lot of money, I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Chief I did spend 2 years out at sea on a Navy cruiser in the late sixties but I guess my sea legs have gone bad lately. One time my ship caught the tail end of a typhoon near Hawaii. I don"t know how big the waves were, but they were breaking over the forward gun turret and this was a 600 ft ship. I was on the mess deck when we took a 30 degree
starboard roll and stayed there for about 20 seconds. There was about 50 sailors present and the only sound was the catsup bottles rolling of the tables and breaking on the deck. After it came back up we all went to the head to change our skivvies. I guess I've reached old fart status, telling old war stories, I'll try to stay on hiking subjects in the future.

Slabfoot I really loved my T4, took it hiking all the time. No zoom, but the lens sure waas sharp. Actually I still have it, but its sitting on my bookshelf covered with mud. Maybe it can be repaired, I don't know.

dixicritter
2003-04-17, 20:36
Originally posted by BigSac
Dixi I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go digital. I'll check out the HP PhotoSmart 215, it seems to be working pretty good for you. I saw a new model in a local store last weekend that I liked(Olympus Stylus Digital 300), but they wanted $400 for it. Seems like a lot of money, I don't know if I want to spend that much.

<snip>

Something you might want to check on, that I actually mentioned to SGT Rock before he left... Sony's DSC-P31 Cyber-shot (costs right at $200) and now they make a waterproof case for it called MPK-P9 Marine Pack (costs right at $250). So you can actually take photos underwater. They claim it will perform underwater up to 40 meters (or about 133 feet).

The really good digital cameras are going to cost you. But you get what you pay for.

BigSac
2003-04-29, 10:38
Thanks for the info Dixicritter. By the way, there is a very interesting article on digicams, scanners, printers, and software in the May issue of Consumer Reports. Between you and them I can make an informed decision on what to get.

If The Rock is going to spend the summer in Iraq, I hope the weather does't make it too miserable for him over there, but I guess he's used to hot weather living in Louisiana.