PDA

View Full Version : Blaze Orange?

Tin Man
2010-12-15, 13:11
Do y'all wear Blaze Orange during hunting season?

I ask, because I don't. Today, I was talking to a cop while waiting for my lunch at the deli. He said always wear blaze orange. The problem is the ny city slickers come north and shoot at anything that moves... dogs, cows, people. Yikes! Even I can tell the difference between dogs and deers. :albertein

Most recently, an 8-year old was shot (he lived) by his own hunting party as he was helping to drive the deer to the line. WOW! I gotta get blaze orange for all the scouts now. Crap!

SGT Rock
2010-12-15, 13:23
almost never.

Cuffs
2010-12-15, 13:30
because most of the hiking clothes I wear are a neutral/tan/brown color, I put on a blaze orange cover on my pack... and only during hunting season and only when in hiking in areas that allow hunting.

Kanga
2010-12-15, 13:41
the girl dogs both have blaze orange collars and blaze orange mesh vests for hunting season. i have been thinking about getting myself a pack cover. in the past i have just tied orange flagging tape to my pack. i hate being visible, but i think i'd hate being dead worse.

Ray
2010-12-15, 13:46
One day I walked up to Springer ... obviously a few years ago ... and met a guy with a big ass gun over his shoulder. Holding by the barrel, butt of the gun over his shoulder. Big caliber. Big guy too, and he looked tired. I said "Hi!" real friendly like.

Said he was a hunter, that explained the orange vest and all, and he'd walked up from Winding Stair road. So he'd bushwhacked up the hard way. Also said he'd heard something about the Applachian Trail being in this area. I said something like "Yes sir, you're standing on it."

He was a black powder hunter, primitive weapon, whatever it's called. I guess that explained the big hole at the end of that barrel. And he asked about the easiest way back to his truck and I gave him my best guess directions and watched him walk off.

So he'd just driven around and found a likely looking mountain and walked up. He wasn't exactly lost, I mean he could get back to his truck, but he really didn't know where he was.

I've been checking hunting seasons and wearing something orange during the season ever since.

taildragger
2010-12-15, 13:53
I wear it at times, generally I just don't hike during rifle seasons (mainly cause I'm out with a rifle)

mudhead
2010-12-15, 14:12
Even in a national park.

Skidsteer
2010-12-15, 15:15
K-Mart has blaze orange rain jackets for less than thirty bucks. It even has taped seams.

I generally tie some blaze orange packtowels to my pack.

GGS
2010-12-15, 15:40
I don't hike during the deer hunting season for just that reason: City slickers. If I am out in the woods for some reason during that time then I will definitely wear blaze orange.

Tin Man
2010-12-15, 15:44
K-Mart has blaze orange rain jackets for less than thirty bucks. It even has taped seams.

I generally tie some blaze orange packtowels to my pack.

yeah, we were talking about something along these lines - something inexpensive as the boys always lose stuff. i don't want to make the decision not to wear blaze orange for the kids and deal with the consequences, so this is what we will likely do going forward.

mudhead
2010-12-15, 16:04
Forestry flagging comes in blaze.

3-4 bucks. You can find better quality than at Home Depot, but it will do.

Carhart watch cap- $6.

Hikerhead
2010-12-15, 22:49
When I was hiking on the BMT, I was just before the grassy meadow before you drop down into the Lost Cove campground/picnic area. I heard a turkey calling just a little up ahead on a small rise I was getting ready to climb. So I got my camera out, walked real slow and quite knowing that I was going to get a nice picture. When I could see over the rise there were two hunters sitting on a log right on the trail. They were calling turkeys. Now I had to figure out how to approach without scaring the shit out of them and me getting shot. So I did a little soft whistle and it scared the shit out them anyway, both of them just wheeled their guns around in my direction. I ducked. Anyway I then walked up and we talked for awhile. They wanted to know where I came from and if I seen any turkeys, When they asked where the trail started I told them that away will take you all the way to Springer Mtn Ga and that way will take you all the way to Maine well, that just blew their minds. But yeah, I have this little blaze orange vest that doesn't weigh anything and a blaze orange pack cover that I use doing hunting season.

stonemark
2010-12-16, 02:20
never got a chance to wear it ~ by the way, I'm new here, hello everyone!

warraghiyagey
2010-12-16, 09:03
I usually just wearr my deerskin jacket and christmas reindeer hat. . . :albertein

Iceman
2010-12-16, 10:29
Out here in the northwest, we have had three fatal shootings in the woods in the last two years. Hunter orange is not a requirement for anyone unless they are hunting during the modern rifle deer and elk season. One female hiker was killed by a rifle hunter during bear season last year, shot by a youngster who should not have been in the woods by himself, he was 14yrs old...his grandfather dropped him off to hunt with his young friend, dropped him off at a hiking trailhead. Idiots. (She was wearing a black rainjacket with hood and was stooped over digging thru her backpack for something. Youth hunter shot at here assuming she was a blackbear, no binocular, no confirmation of target, just took a foolish quick shot at a black object low to the ground, looked like a bear to him.)

The two other deaths were illegal alien brush pickers. They are here illegally, they sign up for welfare out here and get it with no INS check. They then work illegally in the woods out here picking a variety of forest products all year. Being illegal, they wear black or dark raingear and work bent over in the brush gathering anything to sell. Bear hunters shot both inadvertently. Both hunters who pulled the trigger have been arrested and prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter. No hunter orange law would have saved these illegal alien brush pickers as they would have ignored this suggested law.

I am very involved in the hunting community and we feel that no law should require non-hunters to wear orange. Gun safety does and should rely only on the person licensed to hunt, the person weilding the weapon. No hiker should be required to wear any color or do anything to accomodate hunters.

Is it a good idea to wear hunter orange or another bright color when hiking? Probably, if for no other reason than to assist rescuers if lost or injured. Should you be required to change your lifestyle to accomodate hunters? No, not in my opinion.

Tin Man
2010-12-16, 11:02
In CT, the deer are on to the blaze orange thing...

http://www.rangebuzz.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/deer.jpg

SGT Rock
2010-12-16, 13:25
Welcome Stone Mark.

Only time I can remember it being an issue: I was hiking the BMT in January of 08 and ran into a hunter with a shotgun. We talked a while about the trail and the weather, then I said something about how I wasn't wearing orange because I thought gun season was over. He said squirrels and such were still legal to shoot. So I said maybe I need to get an orange vest. He got a funny look on his face and said no one would shoot be because I was a lot bigger than a squirrel.

erin
2010-12-22, 01:12
I am from a state where St. Louis city slicker weekend hunters come down here, shoot a goat and haul it into the deer check station. I always wear orange. One of our group made us all bright orange knit caps. While we see the occasional hunter we have had no problems. The worst mistake I made was wearing a hunter orange Auburn shirt in Arkansas on a hike the weekend they played Auburn. There are so many seasons, deer gun, bow and youth, spring turkey gun and bow, I wear the orange shirt every time I hike and an orange bandanna tied on also. I should also get an brighter pack cover. Mine is blue. I used to wear a brown fleece years ago. Not anymore.

mudhead
2010-12-23, 05:50
Like that here. Plenty of dingdongs.

People undervalue visibility. I keep an orange hat in the truck-flat tire etc.

Superman
2010-12-23, 06:56
Welcome Stone Mark.

Only time I can remember it being an issue: I was hiking the BMT in January of 08 and ran into a hunter with a shotgun. We talked a while about the trail and the weather, then I said something about how I wasn't wearing orange because I thought gun season was over. He said squirrels and such were still legal to shoot. So I said maybe I need to get an orange vest. He got a funny look on his face and said no one would shoot be because I was a lot bigger than a squirrel.

He was right. I met you...you are bigger than a squirrel.:angel:

Outnbacker
2010-12-23, 11:09
Just signed up from Western Washington State. I agree with Iceman because I have certain philosphical proclivities towards Non-Governmental Intervention (another subject). I also agree that it is a good idea to be aware of hunting in the area and to wear orange when in the woods during those times and places.

I get it that it may irk some to be visible to others, but at least take it with you.

John in Everett

Tin Man
2010-12-23, 16:16
Being visible when you are hiking is probably a good thing. Being visible where you set up camp, not so much.

Outnbacker
2010-12-23, 20:51
Being visible when you are hiking is probably a good thing. Being visible where you set up camp, not so much.

Amen

Bulldawg
2010-12-26, 22:47

http://www.zedia.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/LikeButton.gif

rbd
2010-12-27, 14:52
Have had enough negative experiences to feel more relaxed wearing orange especially as the deer can't see that wavelength very well --- turkey can.
I wear orange when on the move and take it off whenever I settle down in one spot.

atraildreamer
2011-01-03, 21:49
You might want to pack some of this, especially in deer hunting season. Try not to laugh, but think about it. :ahhhhh:

Hikerhead
2011-01-04, 08:29
You might want to pack some of this, especially in deer hunting season. Try not to laugh, but think about it. :ahhhhh:

A girl in GA got shot a few years ago because of that other stuff. Well, really she got shot because they gave a retard a license to hunt.

Amigi
2011-01-04, 18:30
While I have never been shot at that I know of..... I have spent a half hour pinned to the ground because of shotgun blasts getting louder and louder even after I screamed my head off. Seems younger hunters these days think its ok to hunt with an MP3 attached to their head. I looked at my wife's frantic face and said, "Welcome to combat!".

SGT Rock
2011-01-04, 20:58
A girl in GA got shot a few years ago because of that other stuff. Well, really she got shot because they gave a retard a license to hunt.

I remember that.

http://georgiatrails.com/gt/AT_Hiker_Shot

4eyedbuzzard
2011-01-10, 11:29
School of thought 1: Wear blaze orange so as to be seen by hunters to prevent being accidentally shot.

School of thought 2: Wear camo so as not to be seen, as any hunter retarded enough to not positively ID his target is likely to shoot yer ass anyway.

School of thought 3: Hike with very tall and big people - think trophy size.

john pickett
2011-01-10, 17:50
Same principle applies when bear hunting, only you pick hunting partners who run slower than you.:afraid:
John Pickett