PDA

View Full Version : Sad day...

Mags
2011-01-10, 21:58
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/01/richard-winters-maj-dick-winters-dies-band-of-brothers.html

SGT Rock
2011-01-10, 22:09
To a true hero. Rest in peace.

:officer4::flag-army

Gray Blazer
2011-01-11, 07:57
God bless him and his family and God bless the USA.

sheepdog
2011-01-11, 08:02
To a true hero. Rest in peace.

:officer4::flag-army

God bless him and his family and God bless the USA.

amen

Amigi
2011-01-11, 12:04
Damn. RIP.

Mags
2011-01-11, 18:44
Another noteworthy person who saw history as well:
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17061321?source=most_viewed

Never knew a Dolittle raid veteran lived in my town....

Bearpaw
2011-01-11, 19:19
The world is less for their loss, but better for what they contributed.

SGT Rock
2011-01-11, 19:52
Saw something recently about these guys. They held a reunion every year and toasted to the fallen ones. As I understand it, there were only about 4 at the last reunion.

Gray Blazer
2011-01-11, 20:58
My dad was in WW II in the Merchant Marines. He was down inside the Liberty ships keeping the engines running. He also was involved in D-day. He's got some great stories. He's 91 and still with us.

rhjanes
2011-01-12, 10:48
My dad was in WW II in the Merchant Marines. He was down inside the Liberty ships keeping the engines running. He also was involved in D-day. He's got some great stories. He's 91 and still with us.You should write them down, or have him do it. Better yet, just tape record him, then find a college doing oral histories and donate them. they will also do the oral history. My dad went USAF in 1953 (end of Korea), stayed to 1975. He's an english major (taught school after leaving the USAF as a LTC). he flew supersonic jets mostly, but forward air controller in Vietnam and yeah, tons of stories. he did an oral history at Texas Tech university and donated some stuff from Vietnam to them. they asked him questions for 2 days about Korea (he was an Air Police, guarding the neclear bombers out in California), he was then a jet-jock, Nam, etc. they wanted to know every bit of it, did it into a tape recorder, transfered that to digital and it's on the web now. Dad then retired from teaching school, started going to all the fighter squadron reunions and wrote books about his time at each squadron and sold them to the other guys in the units! Some have sold quite well and some he also interviewed the other guys and so it is a collaboration of what went on.

erin
2011-01-12, 22:59
I am pleasantly surprised and encouraged that so many people knew who Richard Winters was and what he did. Incredible. Bless our soldiers and veterans-there are not alot of the WW 2 ones left to thank.

Tin Man
2011-01-13, 00:34
I am pleasantly surprised and encouraged that so many people knew who Richard Winters was and what he did. Incredible. Bless our soldiers and veterans-there are not alot of the WW 2 ones left to thank.

steven spielberg's band of brothers popularized Major Winters

Greentick
2011-01-13, 01:52
RIP brother

stonemark
2011-01-13, 03:27
why you think the day is a sad day? I think everyday will be good day if you want it to be ~

Superman
2011-01-13, 05:52
There were so many. This is a guy I knew that I will never forget.
http://www.28thinfantry.org/gribble.htm

Two Speed
2011-01-13, 06:55
steven spielberg's band of brothers popularized Major WintersPopularized or gave the guy some recognition that he earned?

erin
2011-01-13, 21:54
Hi Tin Man,
Stephen Ambrose's book did it first. Before the series.
But the 101'st has always known who he was. I too was honored to volunteer at reunion for 101 (501 regiment) veterans before the 101st was immortalized by HBO and "Saving Private Ryan." An incredible experience. I am glad Speilberg did his series so the general public and not only vets (and history buffs like me) could see what Winters and thousands like him did for us.

Mags
2011-01-17, 01:35
why you think the day is a sad day? I think everyday will be good day if you want it to be ~

Because it is the passing of a person who was a fine human being, actively contributed to an important part of history, and a reminder that this generation will soon no longer be with us.

And,his death reminded me of how much I miss of my own grandfather and how little I knew of him as "Domenic" instead of "Pop".

I know a few (Very few) stories he told, stories he told my Grandmother (who I also miss dearly) and my father and the book called ROCK OF ANZIO about his division.