2003-01-08, 01:14
already told the sarg...
today I ordered 12oz. primaloft
3 yards of brown sil-nyl
1 adventure medical space blanket
30 feet of 1/2 inch black nylon lightweight webbing
toggles/clips/whistles/etc.
elastic
All to construct a quilt that will suspend below my A-sym. I am trying to emulate this:

http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/

think about this,
16 oz. quilt
22 ounce Arc-Alpinist
31 ounce hammock
thats 69 oz (4.3 pounds) for a winterized hammock sleep system that is almost infinetely variable

The big bonus of the underquilt is that it is compressible and can stow in the pack versus the closed cell pads which are not only difficult to pack but hard to keep under your bag unless you have a bag with a sleeve and then with the HH it is a bitch to get into....

So a big thank you to whoever led me first to that posting showing the under hammock quilt-now wish me luck sewing!

Redbeard
2003-01-08, 02:22
The Hennesy sight mentions using a space blanket(sans quilt) but warns of lot's o' condensation. Do you think the quilt will negate this?

Simva2020
2003-01-08, 05:28
the space blanket will be under the hammock, granted snugged up against it....so if it moisture from my body condensing it will have to go through the hammock first...I hope to have a tight enough fit between the underquilt and the hammock to disrupt any cold hitting warm surfaces.....
I assume but didnt notice to be honest if the sleeping surface of my HH A-sym is breathable or not....
regardless if I do my job right then no cold air will be hitting either the space blanket or the sleeping surface, theoretically no condensation will occur-but we know murphy will show up and some condensationwill occur....
now let me tell you where condensation will occur gauranteed and for sure....and that is on the bug netting......i am working on panels that will drape over the mesh occlusively with small openings on each upper end....these panels....now this is the freeky part will come together 1-2feet below the hammock and quilt in a cone shape....this cone will be from the slit all the way to the head area, a weight in the bottom of the cone will give it shape---picture a solar still and you get the picture.....the weight of the cone will snug the panel(s) tightly against the netting hopefully.....gear will be placed into a velco slit in the cone...it was hoped that one could reach into the cone to retrieve the gear but it ain't happening so far----we have rigged a pull rope on the bottom of the cone and can pull it up to the entry slit into the hammock--slit to slit if you will....and then reach into the cone slit to pull out a pee bottle....but it is difficult as h*ll to sit up in the hh!
the underhammock cone therefore serves several purposes
1. storage
2. ballast to torque the netting panels down
3. creates a dead air space under the hips-torso-head region of
the occupant
We read somewhere that a cone experiences less venturi effect than a plateau, and if we had gone to the ground with the panels (better for warmth) then we would have created a sail for wind to fight against---the cone shape is like a dome and not exactly imperceptible to the wind but almost.....once set up and running I will place the probe of the digital thermometer into the cone (and of course compare inside the hammock with outside air temp) just for curiosity's sake, but am def. expecting 10 degrees more inside the hammock once the panels are in place.....
The panel material to cover the bug netting should def. be breathable and am still researching what that should be---any suggestions here?
Regardless the entire package rigged for a 10 degree night should still be less than 5 pounds, maybe less than 4 1/2 if I can find the same material Western Mountaineering uses for their extemelite sleeping bags to use as the over bug net panels/below hammock cone......

Redbeard
2003-01-08, 08:57
I'm not sure if I'm quite understanding the cone, but if it's more of a buffer for air movement why not try silk? It's extremely strong and durable, should hold gear fine, lightweight, breathable. Maybe recycle old silk bag liners. Perhaps Army surplus stores sell old parachute material...who know?

youngblood
2003-01-08, 11:54
My suggestion would be to mount the panel material between the bug netting and the ridge line...maybe using tie-outs sewn to the inside, like the ones on the outside for the blanket, with some shockcord. This way you can deploy it from the inside of the hammock as needed and also move it out of the way when you want to see out. I have used (in my backyard) a truck sunscreen like this and kind of tucked diagonal corners up out of the way with my closed-cell foam pads. Seemed like it might work and since it wasn't totally limp, I didn't have too much trouble putting it up and taking it down from inside the A-sym hammock.

Thought the external blanket looked great!

youngblood

FloridaWalker
2003-01-08, 16:14
We will, of course, need a report as soon as possible. This looks like a variation on Speer's Pea Pod -- of course the PP goes all the way around the hammock.

Keep us posted!

David

Whitestag
2003-01-08, 17:20
I made the Reflectix/fleece pad described on the HH web site -- it kept me warm but my body moisture had no place go and the fleece got damp after a couple of nights. I switched to the space blanket alone, which worked quite well down to high 40s - low 50s.

-- Whitestag

SGT Rock
2003-01-14, 21:37
I just added a forum for us Hammock Hanging campers to discuss the benifits and techniques of hammock camping. I also just got Ed Speer's book in today.

brian
2003-01-26, 20:12
Is 12 oz of primaloft enough?? That doesnt seem like much- how thick did u get it? It just doesnt seem like enough for that kind of square yardage....and how much did u pay? I found 12 oz online for $16.22 @ owfinc.com

Id love to see plans after you make it- looks much better than my pad;-). But i see my pad as one everyone can make- this is much more involved.

Brian

Simva2020
2003-01-26, 20:30
so far I have recieved one package from OWF,
the sil-nyl in brown for the bottom surface of the quilt,
the 12oz. of Primaloft for the insulation,
the elastic, trim piece of material, and the mitten hooks/etc. to
fasten the quilt to the bottom of the A-sym.
I had originally ordered and recieved an emergency space blanket from Campmor for the top material (that which immediately abuts the the bottom of the hammock but per Not Frozen's suggestion have ordered Aluminized sil-nyl and awaiting its arrival.
There was a question of whether 12oz. of Primaloft is enough...all I can say is that I hope it is. I have Primaloft Anorak, pants, pullovers, booties, gloves and so on, and have been using it for many years-used to LLBean sold many things in it and I 'captured the market'....it is incredibly warm so based on that experience I am thinking/hoping it will be enough-plus my goal is an underquilt that will weight less than 16-18oz.
So I am a ways off from taking pics and posting but one step at a time.
The end result will be a 'u' of primaloft nestled below me, and an upside down 'u' of down in the Arc Alpinist, with the 'u' below me extending far beyong the upside down 'u' above me....
The suggestion of using silk to enclose the netting and continue downward forming the 'cone' of dead air space that will prevent much wind robbing heat on the quilt is excellent----BUT the weight of the ballast in the cone will compress the bottom 'u' i.e. the silk or whatever (I am leaning toward Pertex) will go down the bug netting and around the underquilt and toward the meeting point of the silk or pertex on the other side, compressing the 'u' which I dont want....therefore I will make pertex panels for the netting, and separate panels that will make the cone under the quilt.....
So just waiting for the aluminized sil-nyl to arrive.