PDA

View Full Version : The new guidebooks are here! The new guidebooks are here!

SGT Rock
2011-01-28, 12:24
The Benton MacKaye Trail Thru-Hikers' Guide - 2011 Edition"(c) is here!I'm working on an errata page to put in the guides before I ship them out.

Watson's Store is 4 miles from the trail and I would hate for anyone to walk that far to use it and find it closed. But the good news is a BMTA member has bought the place and plans to re-open it and plans to stock hiker friendly supplies, accept mail drops, and do shuttles. So instead of walking the 4 miles (which no one has to date to my knowledge) to pick up supplies, one will be able to call from the gap and they will deliver you supplies on the trail. Other services may also be available, they haven't set anything in stone yet.

I hope to have a big ol' stack of them clogging up the post office by Saturday.

Dixi has also already created a Facebook page for the guide so we can keep people up to date on trail developments if they are on our page. I don't know the link off the top of my head, but it will be posted here later today. If I get 500 members on it, the link will be changed to some sort of easier to remember thing - I'm new to Facebook at this point so I don't know the details.

Cuffs
2011-01-28, 12:48
Yea!!

Bearpaw
2011-01-28, 20:57
That is awesome news. I'm looking forward to it.

dixicritter
2011-01-28, 21:10
Here's the link to the facebook page.... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Benton-MacKaye-Trail-Thru-Hikers-Guide/120213108051924

Big Mac
2011-01-28, 22:09
I "Like"ed !

Bulldawg
2011-01-28, 23:20
I liked and posted it to my little local hiker FB page for you Rock.

dixicritter
2011-01-28, 23:44
Thank y'all for helping out. It is much appreciated!

dixicritter
2011-01-29, 17:25
Orders to date shipped out today.

Gray Blazer
2011-01-30, 22:14
I'm gonna start hiking some of the BMT. What are the nicest sections? I like the higher elevations myself. Maybe I can get some BMT pics. Peace out.

Tin Man
2011-01-30, 22:34
I'm gonna start hiking some of the BMT. What are the nicest sections? I like the higher elevations myself. Maybe I can get some BMT pics. Peace out.

The new CT section of the BMT is gonna be sweet... as soon as I get it started... after the spring thaw... July maybe

SGT Rock
2011-01-30, 22:36
Mount Sterling is great. Wigg Meadow is an excellent spot. Both of those will be nice heights. There are a few side trips to waterfalls and balds too.

Gray Blazer
2011-01-30, 23:13
Mount Sterling is great. Wigg Meadow is an excellent spot. Both of those will be nice heights. There are a few side trips to waterfalls and balds too.

I guess I've been on a little bit of the BMT at Mt. Sterling over to Balsam Corner. Sounds like I'm gonna have to do some more though.

Bulldawg
2011-01-30, 23:25

I guess I've been on a little bit of the BMT at Mt. Sterling over to Balsam Corner. Sounds like I'm gonna have to do some more though.

What trails through that area of the park does the BMT follow? I guess I could get my guide book of the shelf, but why would I really want to do that when I have you guys?

SGT Rock
2011-01-31, 04:05
To get every litle trail I would have to look it up, but big picture:

Twentymile over shuckstack down to Lakeshore to Noland Creek, up to Newton bald and down to Smokemont, then up Chasten Creek to Enloe Creek up to Beach Gap, Balsam Ridge, Sterling Ridge, down to Big Creek.

Lugnut
2011-01-31, 10:45
Too many ups and downs! :argh:

Skidsteer
2011-01-31, 11:24
Orders to date shipped out today.

I just picked up mine at the Post Office!

dixicritter
2011-01-31, 11:25
I just picked up mine at the Post Office!

That was quick... cool!

enviro
2011-01-31, 20:44

Short side trip up to Bob Stratten bald is nice too. Get some nice views of the river on the section that runs alongside the Hiwasse