PDA

View Full Version : One Year, 12,500 Mile Ultraqlight Trek!

sailingsoul
2011-02-21, 22:52
It's been quite awhile since I been by. I did a search to see if this has been mentioned yet but got nothing. Has any heard of "The All-in trek (http://www.theinitiativesite.com/)"?

From the home page

On January 1st of 2011, I will set out on a 12,500+ mile “All-In Trek” to establish a new record of unassisted ultra-light long-distance backpacking. It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek”. This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off. I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame. The journey of the endeavor is most important to me.

I'm thinking this idea isn't thought out to much if he is expecting to start Jan1, 2011, in Maine! and all in one year, 365 days. I can't imagine him doing it in one year. That's over 1,000 miles a month. Tough to do on paved roads over a year. Hell! there isn't even anytime tine to go to church and he's going to need some divine assistance to achieve this .

There is a journal on the web site for those who might want to check it out.
It seems he's started. SS

P.S. I wish the guy the best. After all what do we have if not our dreams and goals?

Lone Wolf
2011-02-21, 23:17
it ain't gonna happen in one year http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/

Ray
2011-02-21, 23:53
it ain't gonna happen in one year http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/Well maybe not an Earth year....

4eyedbuzzard
2011-02-22, 18:30
Well maybe not an Earth year....

At his current pace of approximately 7 miles per day he'll finish on Springer sometime around July 2015.

Next!

sailingsoul
2011-02-22, 19:13
Well I'm sure he'll do better as this plays out and he get into better shape. After reading his journal, from Jan.1, he's not doing 250 miles a week. That really doesn't matter for much because he said it could take longer before he started. As long as he completes the journey without a break, he will still achieve his intended and stated goal and that will be quite an achievement. SS

Lone Wolf
2011-02-22, 19:39
As long as he completes the journey without a break, he will still achieve his intended and stated goal and that will be quite an achievement. SS

he's already taken days off. i bet against him ever finishing

4eyedbuzzard
2011-02-22, 23:50
Well I'm sure he'll do better as this plays out and he get into better shape. After reading his journal, from Jan.1, he's not doing 250 miles a week. That really doesn't matter for much because he said it could take longer before he started. As long as he completes the journey without a break, he will still achieve his intended and stated goal and that will be quite an achievement. SS

He's averaging perhaps 50 miles per week. At this rate it will take him almost two years just to hike the NCT.

If (and that's a really big if) he were to pick up his pace to 25 miles per day, he could finish the NCT in late August. He could then SOBO the AT (quickly). But assuming he keeps the 25 miles per day pace, he is then looking at starting either the PCT or CDT in November. That is quite honestly probably suicidal - especially solo.

He could try to hike the PCT SOBO starting in August, but even then at some point he's going to be hiking one of the three remaining trails at high elevations in full winter conditions, and another of the trails in the lingering snowpack well into spring. I just don't see a successful conclusion.

And I honestly don't see him increasing his pace drastically. He's zeroing and nursing the bad hip again.

There are some lessons to be learned in all this though.

Hike first - talk second.

If you want to be a celebrity, be prepared for what will happen if you flop on stage.

Gray Blazer
2011-02-23, 08:11
There are some lessons to be learned in all this though.

Hike first - talk second.

If you want to be a celebrity, be prepared for what will happen if you flop on stage.
I like that. I've know quite a few "celebrities" who's nerve exceeded their talent.

cool breeze
2011-02-23, 08:36
Don't mistake enthusiasim with ability.

Lugnut
2011-02-23, 10:24
Don't mistake enthusiasim with ability.

I do that a lot, but not as often as I used to. :angel:

4eyedbuzzard
2011-02-23, 10:41
Hey, even though I've slammed him in the context of him promoting himself as a hiking celebrity and all that, I hope he gets his fill of hiking and enjoys himself without getting frostbite or worse. He just really needs to get a grip on reality though.

4eyedbuzzard
2011-02-25, 20:57
Sam took a zero yesterday and got a cortisone shot in his hip today. Cortisone will reduce some of the swelling and alleviate some of the pain, but it won't repair / heal whatever ails his hip. At the minimum he's going to have to rest it for quite some time. If he goes back out hiking now that he's gotten the shot he's going to do more damage to it. Time to go home.

Lone Wolf
2011-02-25, 21:40
he lived in a fuckin' igloo though

sailingsoul
2011-03-01, 17:16
I do agree a reality check suggests he's not likely to be going to achieve his stated goal. I wonder how he expects to pay for his expenses. This can't be done for free, one has to eat etc., it takes money. SS

Bearpaw
2011-03-06, 14:26
http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/

Good call in the end. If he chooses another long hike, he'll hopefully be more prepared and realistic.

Lone Wolf
2011-03-07, 09:38
bettin' he won't get back on the trail

4eyedbuzzard
2011-03-12, 11:58
bettin' he won't get back on the trail

At least for a pretty long time anyway. Friday's journal says his physical therapist is telling him 6 months of rehab, which sounds kind of long to me for a 25 year old with joint pain, but whatever. Sounds to me like they're just giving him the normal for a joint injury - 800 mg Advils and Prednisone, and Vicodin for the pain. He went into some other stuff about his hips being misaligned which caused his problems.

I'm thinkin' it's also the best "exit strategy" he can come up with at this point as well. Not that the injury or pain isn't real, but it's kind of a predictable ending if you followed the daily journals. He brought the "medical exit" into play as early as the first week with complaining of pain from road walking. There was just no way he was prepared to do this hike physically or psychologically.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.
http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/

Tin Man
2011-03-12, 12:59
Kind of interesting (read dumb) how some of these wannabe folks go to great lengths to advertise their 'record' trips only to fail miserably.

Superman
2011-03-12, 13:09
Kind of interesting (read dumb) how some of these wannabe folks go to great lengths to advertise their 'record' trips only to fail miserably.

I'm just the opposite. I publish my long list of excuses up front so no one expects much of me. Then anything I do exceeds all expectations. Have I told you about my toe operation?:angel:

Jester
2011-03-21, 01:44
I'm just the opposite. I publish my long list of excuses up front so no one expects much of me. Then anything I do exceeds all expectations. Have I told you about my toe operation?:angel:

See, this is the way to do it.