PDA

View Full Version : American Hero Hikers

SGT Rock
2011-02-28, 00:21
Hey all,

I just found out about this organization this last week from David Awol Miller.

American Hero Hikers (http://americanherohikers.com/thom-kaleta/)

The website isn't totally finished, so here is the story...

They are a group of hikers that is doing a hike to support this fine organization:

http://www.homesforourtroops.org/images/logo3.gif
Homes for Our Troops (http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer)

They build or upgrade houses for disabled service members returning back from the war. I checked up on the site before I pitched in. They recently did an upgrade of a house for a 101st Airborne Division soldier on ABC's "Extreme Makeover" http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Luis_Rodriquez

What I am posting here for is to get some support for the hike. It starts in March at Springer Mountain, each hiker gets about 100 miles of the hike. I got contacted by Awol because the 2nd leg lost its hiker. I decided instead of recruiting anyone else, I would hike it myself. I start at Winding Stair Gap the same weekend as Ronnie Haven's Bash in Franklin.

So I'll be doing some hiking in April to support this organization. If you feel like making a donation you can go to this site and pick someone to support: http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/TR?team_id=2690&fr_id=1070&pg=team

The goal of the hike is to raise $40,000. It looks like right now they are about $38,000 off, but as far as I know the word hasn't got around everywhere.

If you are interested and want to directly contribute on my hike, go here: http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/TR?px=1475044&pg=personal&fr_id=1070

I plan to put some information up on my page later this week.

Thanks for your time. I hope readers can do something, even if it is just a little bit.

Superman
2011-02-28, 09:36
The news reported this morning that the last veteran of WWI passed away today at 110 years old. When I was a kid there were lots and lots of WWI and WWII vets that marched in the parades. I remember seeing vets from both WWI and WWII wearing a patch with a big red one on a green background. Years later I wore the same patch. We are just links in a long chain.
About 20 years ago a friend of mine who had served almost two tours in the BRO came to my house. He'd lost one leg and the other one wasn't doing so good. He had a devil of a time getting around my house that had different floor levels on the same floor plus the bathroom was a big problem for him. After he left I began remodeling my house to be handicapped accessible. I had trouble finding the measurements and products to do it. Now all that information and products are readily available. Most folks without anyone that is handicapped donít realize what a huge deal it is for these vets to live in a handicap friendly home. We have lots of young vets coming home with severe injuries that they would have died of in previous wars. Providing a home that they can function in is the least we can do considering what they will live with for the rest of their lives.

Tin Man
2011-02-28, 12:48
Done!

Superman
2011-02-28, 14:02
Done

Lone Wolf
2011-02-28, 14:09
done

Lugnut
2011-02-28, 14:56
Done

Skidsteer
2011-02-28, 15:06
:dito:

SGT Rock
2011-02-28, 20:36
Thanks guys. I'm speechless. I didn't expect so much so fast.

Tin Man
2011-02-28, 21:26

rock, you're the man... and this is a cause to believe in. :beer:

Lugnut
2011-02-28, 21:32
Happy to help. It's a great cause!

Lone Wolf
2011-02-28, 21:32

a coupla years ago about this time i didn't expect nothin'. but i got somethin' i'll never be able pay back in full moneywise. you need more just ask

MonkeyBoy
2011-02-28, 23:32
Actually looking in to helping this organization with a soldier who lost his legs here in the Tampa Bay Area.

I think this is an excellent service project for our Scout Troop and Crew, even if they just get the kids out there to hand out water and snacks to the guys building the house, and playing the part of gofer.

pfann
2011-03-01, 00:54
Thank you for supporting SGT Rock and the American Hero Hikers, who are hiking for Homes For Our Troops.

I am the founder of this team and we have been working on this project for over a year.

I am hiking the first leg of the relay from Springer starting on March 24. I plan on finishing at Winding Stair Gap on April 1 and plan on being in Franklin for at least part of the hiker bash weekend.

If you are around that weekend please look me up and say hello.

Thanks again for your support and thank you to SGT Rock for helping out when one of our hikers had to back out.

-pfann

SGT Rock
2011-03-02, 21:15
I finally got the domain and redirect set up. It makes it easier to point people to the page:

www.herohikers2011.com

Bearpaw
2011-03-06, 14:18
Sorry I've been so much the last few weeks. Wrestling season has been wrapping up and it has meant a lot of 14-16 hours days plus weekend time.

Glad I found this while it is still active and can donate. It's a great cause.

Big Mac
2011-03-07, 22:17
Got you just a little closer to your goal Rock.

pfann - I'll look for you in Franklin. You've got a well-deserved beverage coming.

pfann
2011-03-08, 14:35
Thanks Big Mac. I look forward to a cold one in Franklin.

I'm impressed with the support that ROCK has seen from all of you. Thank you to all. We are now over $4,000, just past 10% of our goal.

Thanks again,

-pfann

SGT Rock
2011-03-25, 21:15
I just got an e-mail from Pat Fanning (the group leader). He has started the trail and is near Woody Gap. The group journal is here: www.postholer.com/pfann

Furlough
2011-03-27, 12:33
I finally got the domain and redirect set up. It makes it easier to point people to the page:

www.herohikers2011.com

Rock,
Contrubution made. Plus, hope you do not mind but I posted about this over on WB. Someone probably has alredy done that, but this worthy of wide dissemination. I will see if I can get this in AKO. If the filter police will allow I'll also begin circulation via email traffic within the Pentagon.

Furlough

SGT Rock
2011-03-27, 13:50
I don't mind at all Furlough, Thanks for spreading the word. WhiteBlaze may remove the post as they now have a rule against fundraisers not specifically for trail organizations.

Furlough
2011-03-27, 14:04
I don't mind at all Furlough, Thanks for spreading the word. WhiteBlaze may remove the post as they now have a rule against fundraisers not specifically for trail organizations.

Roger that on the WB policies. They'll have to read it first though, I titled the thread SGT Rock Hikes again, I do not mention the funraiser, and just provided the link you shared.

I'll meet up in the a.m. with a SGM in HQDA G3, I'll pitch this to him. If he is interested, he'll figure out a way to get it around. No promises, except that I will try.

Furlough

SGT Rock
2011-03-27, 14:40
Thanks, I appreciate that.

DesertReprobate
2011-03-28, 16:01
Just shuttled Relay into the Hiawassee Budget Inn. He's doing well

SGT Rock
2011-03-28, 19:51
Outstanding. I just saw his post on Postholer.

SGT Rock
2011-04-01, 13:19
Heading out for my hike today - I start tomorrow afternoon.

I just got this in my e-mail about Homes for our Troops doing their 100th house:

http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer?pagename=KennyLyon#camera

Mags
2011-04-01, 22:40
Awesome! Have a great hike!!!

Tin Man
2011-05-08, 15:14
What is the status of this hike? Was the plan to go all the way to the big K. Info seems spotty on postholer or I am not reading the right stuff.

Congrats to SGT Rock who appears to have collected the most donations to date. :beer:

SGT Rock
2011-05-08, 15:21
I'm not sure the status, I 've been working since I got back from my BMT hike and have e-mails I still haven't responded to. I'm taking some guys from work out to Kephart Shelter and then Lecont Tuesday - Thursday this week too.

Too much hiking LOL.

john pickett
2011-05-09, 09:34
"Too much hiking LOL."
Count your blessings, Sarge.
I'm buried in school work and household duties. Haven't had time to Plan a hike, much less get out.