PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Camping for Floridiots

Gray Blazer
2011-03-08, 10:41
This could be a thread to help the AT/BMT hikers coming up from FL in March/April. It's still cold up in them there hills. I was reading SGt Rock's journal from his BMT/AT hike and even though he lives in TN at the base of the Smokies he still managed to get frostbite on his sojourn.

I went up to Tellico and camped on Mar 26, 2006 and it went down to 7-0 degrees at night and did not get much higher than 20 degrees for 4 days in a row. Not being used to the cold, I thought I would be alright with a blanket and a leather jacket. Talk about a Floridiot!

I hope that everyone from Tipi to the ULs can chime in here. Maybe Rock can give us some tips about frostbite and how to avoid it or treat it. Thanks.

Skidsteer
2011-03-08, 10:59
Getting frostbite on you sojourn sounds serious.

Gray Blazer
2011-03-08, 11:16
Getting frostbite on you sojourn sounds serious.

I think it was his ears.

dixicritter
2011-03-08, 11:22
Yep it was his ears.

My advice... be sure to check the INSIDE of your rain jacket for ice.

Skidsteer
2011-03-08, 13:10
I think it was his ears.

That's a lot better than on the sojourn. I think.

Gray Blazer
2011-03-08, 15:14
That's a lot better than on the sojourn. I think.

That's like kissing a girl on the veranda. I'd rather kiss her on the lips.

So Dixie, is there a cure for frostbite or are you basically screwed? From Rock's pics it looked like an abrasion. Does it heal naturally? From what I hear there are varying degrees where people actually lose fingers or toes (or sojourns). I guess I could google it, but I was thinking some experienced hiker could inform us. I've heard of rubbing snow on it, but that doesn't sound like fun. That would be like pouring scalding water on a burn.

saimyoji
2011-03-08, 16:01
I guess I could google it, but I was thinking some experienced hiker could inform us. I've heard of rubbing snow on it, but that doesn't sound like fun. That would be like pouring scalding water on a burn.

let me help you out here:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/frostbite-treatment

note this part:

Do not rub the frozen area with snow (or anything else, for that matter). The friction created by this technique will only cause further tissue damage.

dixicritter
2011-03-08, 17:18
Rock's did a pretty good job of healing on its own.

Good info in saimyoji's link.

saimyoji
2011-03-08, 20:53
Good info in saimyoji's link.

Hollly fucking shitballs.....tell all your friends. :beer::beer:

Gray Blazer
2011-03-08, 21:05
It says drink nonalchoholic noncaffienated drinks. I guess I would just die.