PDA

View Full Version : Ms Janet Hikes

Pages : [1] 2

SGT Rock
2011-03-20, 04:50
Janet should be starting her hike sometime soon, keep an eye out for her to get going. Maybe she will hike into the bash :beer:

It looks like her plan to hike and use that to finish off a book about her hostel experiences is in the works. She mentioned something like this to me last time I saw her. She is looking for people to help her back the project, when she told me about it, the idea was to try to get people to pledge 1 cent a mile to support her - so just $21.80 per person. If she could get a couple hundred people interested in it, then she could finance doing the book.

Since this sort of thing doesn't get allowed anymore at WhiteBlaze I thought I would offer the URL to support her here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1546246091/the-tales-from-the-boot-garden

I figure enough folks know her, and probably had a good time staying at her place without paying, that they could probably make good now for her to do this book. I plan to get a copy even if it sucks. :ahhhhh:

Russell
2011-03-20, 08:54
Buyer beware, I asked first.

Russell
2011-03-20, 12:29
After thinking about my fund raiser, I realize I wasn't first. I apologize for my inconderation. My money is going here:

http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/TR?team_id=2690&fr_id=1070&pg=team

Wise Old Owl
2011-03-20, 12:47
thanks for posting great video

Lugnut
2011-03-20, 13:02
After thinking about my fund raiser, I realize I wasn't first. I apologize for my inconderation. My money is going here:

The graph shows only 14 percent of the goal has been met so far so they can use the donation. Hope others get on board soon or it's going to be a bust.

Superman
2011-03-20, 13:11
The graph shows only 14 percent of the goal has been met so far so they can use the donation. Hope others get on board soon or it's going to be a bust.

So if they don't reach their donation goal they'll just take the money and have a barbecue?

Lone Wolf
2011-03-20, 13:13
if janet don't raise $5500 she ain't gonna write a book?

Lugnut
2011-03-20, 13:24
In post number 5 I was referring to SGT Rock's homeforourtoops hike, not Janets.

Lone Wolf
2011-03-20, 13:28
In post number 5 I was referring to SGT Rock's homeforourtoops hike, not Janets.

i know but was just wonderin' about janet's thing. never heard of anybody soliciting cash to write a book. if $5500 isn't raised does what cash that was back to the contributors?

Superman
2011-03-20, 13:47

Can that site be posted to other hiking sites?

Russell
2011-03-20, 13:55
Can that site be posted to other hiking sites?

Ask Rock, it is on HHQ home page and Rock is hiking for it.

Jester
2011-03-20, 14:51
So if they don't reach their donation goal they'll just take the money and have a barbecue?

i know but was just wonderin' about janet's thing. never heard of anybody soliciting cash to write a book. if $5500 isn't raised does what cash that was back to the contributors?

The way Kickstarter works: people pledge a dollar amount. If the full amount isn't reached, the project is not funded, and nobody is charged. In other words, money doesn't "go back" to the contributors, because no money is charged if the goal isn't met.

Many, many, many people solicit cash to write. Typically these are called "advances" and come from publishers. Freelance writers for magazines also solicit periodical publishers with ideas; they too are paid advances. As one of the "rewards" for a pledge is a copy of the book, you might think of this as eliminating the middle man but still getting the advance.

People solicit money for all kinds of creative projects -- if you poke around Kickstarter you'll discover that (projects on Kickstarter have to be approved by the people who run that site -- you can't just go there & start a page). Part of the deal is that the person creating the page has to offer something in return for the investment, which is why you see what is offered for each level of pledge on the right hand side of the page.

I think this is a worthy project. But it's possible that others don't. And if they don't, the very simple remedy is to ignore it.

Russell
2011-03-20, 14:58

Post #3 ditto.http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/TR?team_id=2690&fr_id=1070&pg=team

Superman
2011-03-20, 15:00
The way Kickstarter works: people pledge a dollar amount. If the full amount isn't reached, the project is not funded, and nobody is charged. In other words, money doesn't "go back" to the contributors, because no money is charged if the goal isn't met.

Many, many, many people solicit cash to write. Typically these are called "advances" and come from publishers. Freelance writers for magazines also solicit periodical publishers with ideas; they too are paid advances. As one of the "rewards" for a pledge is a copy of the book, you might think of this as eliminating the middle man but still getting the advance.

People solicit money for all kinds of creative projects -- if you poke around Kickstarter you'll discover that (projects on Kickstarter have to be approved by the people who run that site -- you can't just go there & start a page). Part of the deal is that the person creating the page has to offer something in return for the investment, which is why you see what is offered for each level of pledge on the right hand side of the page.

I think this is a worthy project. But it's possible that others don't. And if they don't, the very simple remedy is to ignore it.

In post #6 I was hoping to go to the barbecue.:bath:

sheepdog
2011-03-20, 15:02
I would be more apt to fund a book that has already been written. How much does it cost to write a book? You sit down at the computer and start typing. If she gets a manuscript together I would be glad to help out then.

Lone Wolf
2011-03-20, 15:03
too many AT books

Russell
2011-03-20, 15:07
too many AT books

Look out hell is freezing over, I agree with Lone Wolf's position 100%.

sheepdog
2011-03-20, 15:07
How about if we donate more than a certain amount, we could get mentioned as hiking legends?

enviro
2011-03-20, 15:09

I'm crawling under the table before the shit hits the fan

Lone Wolf
2011-03-20, 15:09

:cool: the subject's been covered to death

Jester
2011-03-20, 15:13
I would be more apt to fund a book that has already been written. How much does it cost to write a book? You sit down at the computer and start typing. If she gets a manuscript together I would be glad to help out then.

Good to know.

In post #6 I was hoping to go to the barbecue.:bath:

Well, there's nothing to say there won't be a barbeque if it does get funded.

sheepdog
2011-03-20, 15:16

what would the wanna be hikers do without books to read?

Russell
2011-03-20, 15:28
what would the wanna be hikers do without books to read?

They have their iphones and facebook.

dixicritter
2011-03-20, 15:53
RE: Janet's book...

From what I gathered talking to her about this venture, she has already started "writing" the book. She said that it started out as notes on her experiences as a hostel owner, but realized that the notes were evolving into chapters. That's what gave her the idea to write this book in the first place.

I also got the impression that it revolved more around "Miss Janet's house" than being just another AT book. Like I said that was the impression I got from talking to her.

Rock and I have pledged.

Tin Man
2011-03-20, 16:01

the writers will write well past the buyers buy.

maybe janet's 'twist' on same ole theme will be compelling enough to attract more than those she hosted or know of her. we can wish her luck or contribute. no need to suggest anything else.

Russell
2011-03-20, 16:24
RE: Janet's book...

From what I gathered talking to her about this venture, she has already started "writing" the book. She said that it started out as notes on her experiences as a hostel owner, but realized that the notes were evolving into chapters. That's what gave her the idea to write this book in the first place.

I also got the impression that it revolved more around "Miss Janet's house" than being just another AT book.

If that is true, why does she need $5500 to thru hike?

Just asking.

Fishinfred
2011-03-20, 17:51
I don't see this as just for her to write a book or just for her to Hike ...it's for the whole package `THE DREAM ' she has, and has been striving for since she had to close the Hostel ,move out of the house ,live in her van.... She has big dreams like startin that Erwin Hiking Center (have y'all seen all the work she has put into that ?) or another hostel somewheres....sure she is dreaming big but I support her 100% for trying ! She's out there chasin' her Dream right now :)
I wish her well & hope she reaches ALL her goals ! GO MISS JANET! ;)

SGT Rock
2011-03-20, 20:01
You can post my Hike for Troops thing anywhere you want. I'm meeting with the union tomorrow, looks like they may be contributing. I also plan to go see the Corp PA folks about it this week.

I made a easier to visit URL for my hike www.herohikers2011.com - basically it is a redirect so you don't have to remember a long, complicated URL.

dixicritter
2011-03-20, 20:05
If that is true, why does she need $5500 to thru hike?

Just asking.

That's a reasonable question... one that she answered on the link that Rock put in the opening post of this thread. Here's what Miss Janet said...

If this project is funded it will allow me to obtain a few necessary tools I require to bring the project to competion. I will use a portion of your pledges to purchase a computer, printer, camera as well as some hiking gear that I may need along the way. The remainder of your pledges will be used to offset my living expenses along the Appalachian Trail as well as for the period of time after the trail while I am finishing THE TALES FROM THE BOOT GARDEN.

Wise Old Owl
2011-03-21, 03:04
Tad awkward, might be easier to donate a Windows XP - I say that because even my earning power is way down last year.

Kanga
2011-03-21, 14:17

now mala, if there were, say, 15 other AT movies out there, would i, as your friend, say that i'm not supporting your trail angels because there are already at movies out there? you need to get out of your house love, you're becoming all curmudeonly and stuff.

Russell
2011-03-21, 14:24
now mala, if there were, say, 15 other AT movies out there, would i, as your friend, say that i'm not supporting your trail angels because there are already at movies out there? you need to get out of your house love, you're becoming all curmudeonly and stuff.

Because I agree with Lone Wolf,you think I am becoming a curmudgeon.

Russell
2011-03-21, 14:26
As far as supporting the movie, I don't care because all my friends received free copies.

Kanga
2011-03-21, 15:02
Because I agree with Lone Wolf,you think I am becoming a curmudgeon.

well, that wasn't my original idea, but it fits..:angel:

Superman
2011-03-21, 15:14
What's wrong with being a curmudgeon?:bath:

Ray
2011-03-21, 15:23
Because I agree with Lone Wolf,you think I am becoming a curmudgeon.Is there a better indication?

Russell
2011-03-21, 15:24
you need to get out of your house love,

As the bash draws nearer and I see who is going to be there, I would like me to come.

Winton told me that if I didn't walk through the breezeway soon, the building was going to fall down. It has cracks in it now.

Is there anyone in the Roanoke area or north of WV going?

Big Mac
2011-03-21, 16:37
As the bash draws nearer and I see who is going to be there, I would like me to come.

Winton told me that if I didn't walk through the breezeway soon, the building was going to fall down. It has cracks in it now.

Is there anyone in the Roanoke area or north of WV going?

Just have Tin Man pick you up. :angel:

Tin Man
2011-03-21, 16:42
Just have Tin Man pick you up. :angel:

now why did i know that was coming? :boring:

Big Mac
2011-03-21, 17:04
now why did i know that was coming? :boring:

I know, right?

Kanga
2011-03-21, 21:24
What's wrong with being a curmudgeon?:bath:

absolutely nothing. they're adorable. i love them.

Tin Man
2011-03-21, 23:08
Miss Janet started today!

Jester
2011-03-22, 01:04
Miss Janet started today!

Who cares?

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 07:42
Who cares?

she does :aetsch:

Kanga
2011-03-22, 08:51
i do!

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 11:10
i do!

as I am sure Miss Janet's many friends do

Superman
2011-03-22, 11:17
as I am sure Miss Janet's many friends do

Is she hiking with anyone?

dixicritter
2011-03-22, 11:19
At this time of year, I'd say probably a bunch of folks. :angel:

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 11:20
Is she hiking with anyone?

no idea. i was under the impression that she was starting with or meeting tarlin along the way, but don't really know

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 11:20
At this time of year, I'd say probably a bunch of folks. :angel:

xactly

Hog On Ice
2011-03-22, 11:27
no idea. i was under the impression that she was starting with or meeting tarlin along the way, but don't really know

hope she hikes mr. pork chop's ass into the ground

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 11:52

i just hope she stays healthy and finds her hike enjoyable enough to avoid the yellow blazes :albertein

Superman
2011-03-22, 11:57

If BJ hikes as he did last year she'll only see him in her town stops.

Russell
2011-03-22, 12:08
I support Miss Janet 100% on her hike. If I was still doing trail deviling on the AT, I would help her out.

I just don't think it is right to ask for money to take a vacation.

curtisvowen
2011-03-22, 12:12
Preface: just internet drunk talking.
They're going hand and hand down the trail eating the pork chop Jack has strung around his neck.
"Damn Jack, that tastes like Salami"?
I'm writing a book....has lesbo lovers, tranvestites, girls peeing on your backpack and gay men humping a fireplug. Want to ante up?
I'm pissed cause I know when Jack & Janet gets here, for his annual "visit", arrogant mofo, I'll have a hard time getting him unglued from having his nose up her ass.
She better not say there ain't no room in the end....I mean inn.

Lugnut
2011-03-22, 12:24
You do realize this is the green background? :albertein

mudhead
2011-03-22, 13:10
and gay men humping a fireplug. Want to ante up?

I'll wait for the movie.

Superman
2011-03-22, 13:30

No one mentioned...inseam?:angel:

Lone Wolf
2011-03-22, 13:31
is she makin' her dog carry a pack? hope not

Hog On Ice
2011-03-22, 13:34
how old is Fabian now?

Kanga
2011-03-22, 18:52

why do you keep saying that when it's very clearly gray?:albertein

Russell
2011-03-22, 20:07
too many AT books

You ain;t shittin' I am lining up a shuttle for the ALT and the dudes emails me and says his girl friend wrote a book about the AT and sent me a link.

Hog On Ice
2011-03-22, 20:30
is that Cookerhiker's girlfriend?

Russell
2011-03-22, 20:37
Yea. She will be in Franklin hawking it.

Lugnut
2011-03-22, 20:43

Your mouse doesn't work, your keyboard is bad and now your color is going bad. When will it all end? :argh: :ahhhhh:

Lone Wolf
2011-03-22, 20:45
You ain;t shittin' I am lining up a shuttle for the ALT and the dudes emails me and says his girl friend wrote a book about the AT and sent me a link.

thru-hikers and books about them are a dime-a-dozen. both usually boring and predictable. fuckin' section hikers rule!

Wise Old Owl
2011-03-22, 22:06
Hey old man (and I mean that with respect) is that your final answer?

Tin Man
2011-03-22, 22:14
thru-hikers and books about them are a dime-a-dozen. both usually boring and predictable. fuckin' section hikers rule!

:rock::star:

General
2011-03-25, 20:49
section hikers that hit the kill me quick at 8 in the morning fuckin' rule. and at 9, and at 10, and 11.

Weary
2011-03-31, 23:51
.... How much does it cost to write a book? You sit down at the computer and start typing. ....
Months of ones life, some times years.

Furlough
2011-04-01, 04:21
[QUOTE fuckin' section hikers rule![/QUOTE]

Is there a lot of that happening down your way? :

sheepdog
2011-04-01, 11:43
Months of ones life, some times years.

Hi Weary, welcome to HQ. :beer:

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-06, 23:36
jus doesn't get better than this ---- Sheepdog - Pass another Yuengling.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-06, 23:38

Because Kanga - MEN ARE COLOR BLIND. GREEN GREY ALL THE SAME.

Ever noticed Irish getting into grey instead of green?

harryfred
2011-04-07, 00:58

I am a section hiker. I have read hundreds of books but not one about the AT. I hike other trails not connected to the AT.

Big Mac
2011-04-07, 07:09
I am a section hiker. I have read hundreds of books but not one about the AT. I hike other trails not connected to the AT.

Are you trying to make friends?

enviro
2011-04-07, 11:25

Wow! You've read hundreds of books? You must be one of those scholar folks I've heard about.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 11:40
Wow! You've read hundreds of books? You must be one of those scholar folks I've heard about.

well, if the books he's read have plots and sex scenes, then does that make him scholarly?

enviro
2011-04-07, 20:58
well, if the books he's read have plots and sex scenes, then does that make him scholarly?

Or Horny

Mags
2011-04-08, 00:53

I like pop-up books myself. Really adds to the sex scenes.

D'Artagnan
2011-04-08, 01:17

DIY books don't count, silly.:aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-04-08, 04:42
DIY books don't count, silly.:aetsch:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif :congrats:

enviro
2011-04-08, 08:03

Shhhwing!

Rockhound
2011-04-09, 16:30
I think I'll be fully recovered from my bypass surgery and getting back on the trail again by mid July. If I pick up where I left off in Troutdale how much longer do you think I'll have to wait after my return before Miss Janet gets there so we can hike a little together?

Rockhound
2011-04-09, 16:47
OK that wasn't nice. More power to anyone who gets out there. Seriously though, anyone know Miss Janets whereabouts? Franklin? N.O.C?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-09, 16:58
OK that wasn't nice. More power to anyone who gets out there. Seriously though, anyone know Miss Janets whereabouts? Franklin? N.O.C?

franklin at the farthest at 3-5 miles per day. most likely hiawassee though with days off and such. plus she has her car with her

General
2011-04-09, 18:14
how does one hike with a car? someone else drivin' it around for her?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-09, 23:07
i guess.

Trollasaur
2011-04-13, 22:11
LOL...I guess HYOH has a whole new meaning now.

<i> Damn, my feet hurt. Reckon I will run to the car now and drive myself to the hotel. </i>

warraghiyagey
2011-04-14, 08:53
Ummm. . . welcome Trollasaur. . . :bandit:

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 09:00
My version of car camping would be to park the car at a gap and hike to the next gap or beyond for a few days, then walk back to the car and drive to where I made it to and start over. The views are 180 degrees different on the way back.

Trollasaur
2011-04-14, 15:03
Ummm. . . welcome Trollasaur. . . :bandit:

Thanks, man.

Hikerhead
2011-04-15, 18:15
My version of car camping would be to park the car at a gap and hike to the next gap or beyond for a few days, then walk back to the car and drive to where I made it to and start over. The views are 180 degrees different on the way back.

That's how I hiked SNP over a summer. Sometimes it was an overniter of 10 miles each way. Or it could have been a 2 mile hike late in the day to the next road crossing, hiking back in the dark. I enjoyed those little hikes.

ed bell
2011-04-17, 19:20
There ain't nothing wrong with the short hauls....Who hasn't enjoyed one of those before??

Lone Wolf
2011-04-26, 13:16
no journal update in 3 weeks. off the trail?

dixicritter
2011-04-26, 13:58
no journal update in 3 weeks. off the trail?

I just talked to Miss Janet on the phone... she's still hiking.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-26, 14:08
I just talked to Miss Janet on the phone... she's still hiking.

where she at?

dixicritter
2011-04-26, 14:11
where she at?

PM sent. :bandit:

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-26, 14:12
Last I heard, she just crossed the GA border a few days ago.

Big Mac
2011-04-26, 14:16
PM sent. :bandit:

Never heard of it.

dixicritter
2011-04-26, 14:36
Never heard of it.

It is a really "private" spot. :wink:

Hog On Ice
2011-04-26, 14:41
you know the one that goes with the joke - punch line "CM PM" or something like that

Bearpaw
2011-04-26, 17:41
She posted a photo of the GA/NC border on Facebook a day or two ago.

Lone Wolf
2011-05-18, 22:37
lotsa silence. month and a half no updates

Hog On Ice
2011-05-18, 22:47
she wasn't at TD was she?

Lone Wolf
2011-05-18, 22:48
she wasn't at TD was she?

yes.........

Hikerhead
2011-05-18, 22:53
I bet she made it to Irwin and said fuck this shit.

Tin Man
2011-05-18, 22:59
lotsa silence. month and a half no updates

prolly home writing about that book about her thruhike... of Georgia

dixicritter
2011-05-18, 23:34
I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago. She was on her way home for Mother's day and some other family stuff. She told me then that she had tried to make it to NOC, but instead left off at Tellico Gap.

She told me that she's not quitting, just still taking her time.

Tin Man
2011-05-18, 23:46
She told me that she's not quitting, just still taking her time.

how many years?

ed bell
2011-05-18, 23:57
sAn7baRbhx4

Tin Man
2011-05-19, 00:11
t7w5Jj4Xmt8

Tin Man
2011-05-28, 23:00
it's the dog's fault... :rolleyes2

http://www.trailjournals.com/missjanetshike/

mudhead
2011-05-29, 18:41
Someone that knows Janet might suggest bathing the dog in Head & Shoulders or even better, Selsun Blue. Not too frequent as it can dry the dog's skin out.

Mine could handle once per week. Cuts down on the allergens dramatically.

Big Mac
2011-05-29, 23:29
how many years?

What difference does it make - she'll probably still finish before you.:bootyshak

Tin Man
2011-05-30, 07:30
What difference does it make - she'll probably still finish before you.:bootyshak

i would hope she finishes before me. i never made any claims otherwise. i am on the 40 year plan. :aetsch:

Lone Wolf
2011-05-30, 08:11
giving back all the money raised for the thru-hike would be the right thing to do

SGT Rock
2011-05-30, 08:29
Actually her "project" over there was:

My Project is to finish the book I've been writing about my experiences in this community as a hostel owner, trail angel and now as a Newby Long Distance Hiker!

I contributed knowing this was for a book project - so she should still finish the book. She specifically stated:

Your pledges will allow me to spend this “hiker season” on the trail as well as give me the financial freedom to wholly concentrate on completing the book this fall and winter. If this project is funded it will allow me to obtain a few necessary tools I require to bring the project to competion. I will use a portion of your pledges to purchase a computer, printer, camera as well as some hiking gear that I may need along the way.

Didn't say it was to fund a thru-hike. It did say that what was left over from all that would be used

The remainder of your pledges will be used to offset my living expenses along the Appalachian Trail

She didn't say it was specifically to fund a thru-hike. I don't know that she will ever do a real WingFoot definition of a "thru-hike" and I personally (and I assume many who know her) probably felt the same way. She is Janet, she does what she does.

I do hope she gets more miles in, it would be good for her.

Tin Man
2011-05-30, 08:39
It will be interesting to see if she actually does the book... that is no simple task either.

SGT Rock
2011-05-30, 08:45
No shit. I think even if she works hard 2012 release is pushing it.

Tin Man
2011-05-30, 09:10
excerpt from her trailjournal dated Friday, May 27...

My intentions are to be out on the Appalachian Trail for the next several months. My expectations of this hike being a normal Thruhike by any definition, is the one thing I have realized is not going to happen. With my health, weight, general condition and off trail obligations; I just can’t see being able to complete the entire trail this season. Someone said I was on the “Katahdin by Christmas” plan… I think that may be NEXT Christmas! But at any rate… for me 7ish miles a day… a double digit day as a goal… I hope to continue to Hike My Own Hike and I hope to see you out there somewhere on the trail!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=348915

curtisvowen
2011-05-30, 13:10
MJ, will fade away.
I hope to do the same.

saimyoji
2011-05-30, 21:23
MJ, will fade away.

we all will at some point....

Gray Blazer
2011-06-01, 14:24
t7w5Jj4Xmt8

Thank You Tin Man. Intelligence IS sexy.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-01, 08:38
over a month. no journal update. she must be in the smokys

Superman
2011-07-01, 09:28
we all will at some point....

Hey...was that directed at me. I'm not paranoid...it's just all about me.:angel:

Tin Man
2011-07-01, 10:15
over a month. no journal update. she must be in the smokys

um, guessing no... from faceplant

Janet MissJanet Hensley:
I just finished another section of the AT in Pennsylvania and I am spending the day in the home of long time Trail Angels Junker and Sandy. Flipping a coin to see if I hike sobo to Pen/Mar or if I go to Boiling Springs and hike back to Pine Grove. All the Thruhikers are doing big miles and haven't even noticed that the blueberries are perfect right now!
June 25 at 11:59am ·

Big Mac
2011-07-02, 00:19
She's out hiking anyway.

Tin Man
2011-07-03, 07:20
She's out hiking anyway.

every other day apparently... she's in PA now

Janet MissJanet Hensley
‎52 hiking days... 52 zero days. I really think you should keep a good balance! I am still getting some miles on the trail, spending time with friends and even doing a little Trail Magic! Have a great and safe holiday weekend!
July 2

Lone Wolf
2011-07-03, 08:05
burnin' right thru that 6 grand....

Tin Man
2011-07-18, 04:34
She's making good time... from FB Saturday, July 16

Janet MissJanet Hensley (https://www.facebook.com/themissjanet)
I made it sniffling and coughing to The Hikers Welcome in Glencliff New Hampshire this evening and found friends Mother Nature, Smoke Stack, Hoi, Fat Chap, Uncle Walt and Pack Rat as well as several others hikers. I will be in this area hiking some and helping at the hostel. Thank you Pack Rat for the wonderful welcome and the chance to be here!

Lone Wolf
2011-07-18, 07:57
wow. simply amazing

Superman
2011-07-18, 09:25
There are some people who yellow blaze every year. Some folks had their nose out of joint over Marathon man when I was hiking. He was only ever seen getting out of a vehicle but not seen on the trail. He seemed to just be going from hostel to hostel and town to town. Oh...kind of like BJ. Neither of them were part of my world so I don't give a damn. I only met Miss Janet once. It was at this years Trail Days. She seemed nice. The way I see it is that she gave to the hiking community up front. I hope she makes something of the money and experiences she's gotten...but we know that doesn't always happen the way we think it should. If it turns out to be nothing comes of it...it won't be the worst thing that has happened in the hiking community.

Weary
2011-07-20, 18:06
There are some people who yellow blaze every year. Some folks had their nose out of joint over Marathon man when I was hiking. He was only ever seen getting out of a vehicle but not seen on the trail. He seemed to just be going from hostel to hostel and town to town. Oh...kind of like BJ. Neither of them were part of my world so I don't give a damn. I only met Miss Janet once. It was at this years Trail Days. She seemed nice. The way I see it is that she gave to the hiking community up front. I hope she makes something of the money and experiences she's gotten...but we know that doesn't always happen the way we think it should. If it turns out to be nothing comes of it...it won't be the worst thing that has happened in the hiking community.
Well, I only met Miss Janet once. Probably around 2,000. Any way it was at one of the first Pennsylvania Rucks. She was very, shall we say chubby, but also a very friendly, outgoing person. I'm sure her successes, such as they may be, have been more a product of her personality than her trail knowledge or hiking ability. I doubt if very many who have met her have ever thought otherwise.

Even less could be said of Bill Bryson, who was, is, a skilled writer, but not a very enthusiastic hiker, nor anywhere near as pleasant as Miss Janet.

If she keep at it, Miss Janet is very likely to have walked as many miles as Bill has. I wish her well in writing an even more popular book of her "thru hike." Given her years of devotion to the trail, it certainly will be a more accurate account than Bill managed. But I recognize that nothing succeeds like success. Bill has spent a lifetime practicing the writing of humorous, but cynical, travel books. Some wise and useful. One in particular just a bit of summer fluff that earned him more than all the others put together.

It's tough competition for Miss Janet, but I wish her well.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 18:16
i'm pretty sure she's hiked less than 200 miles in 4 months. bryson did about 800. bryson didn't ask for folks to pay his way

Tin Man
2011-07-20, 18:42
i'm pretty sure she's hiked less than 200 miles in 4 months. bryson did about 800. bryson didn't ask for folks to pay his way

hahahahaha... i am sure his publisher fronted him some big coin

SGT Rock
2011-07-20, 22:23

Probably many times the amount Ms Janet has gotten.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 22:27
so that makes it OK for her to blow the cash on driving up and down the trail. oughta be an awesome book :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
2011-07-20, 22:33
LOL, probably better than most of the journal books out there.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 22:45
i'd be ashamed to ask for all that $$ and not make a serious attempt. buncha bullshit. but i'm not an asskisser like most

SGT Rock
2011-07-20, 22:46
Who is kissing who's ass?

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 22:47
all the fools that gave her money.

SGT Rock
2011-07-20, 22:50
I don't think I was kissing her ass. I just wanted her to have a good time and write a book. I give a fuck less if she hikes all 2175 +/-. I suppose many feel like I do.

No ass kissing involved here. But you seem to do a lot of bitching about it even though you have NOTHING tied into her hike. Seems like you should have the lest to say about how she does it if you have nothing vested.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 22:53
you're right but she should refund all the $$. it was obtained under false pretenses.

SGT Rock
2011-07-20, 22:56
Again, don't care. She can keep my money, and I bet many of the folks that contributed also probably feel the same way.

But again, you didn't give any money but keep saying how things should be. You ain't got a dog in this fight but act like you do.

It's sort of like a Canadian telling us we shouldn't have elected Bush. None of their business.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 23:00
enjoy the book. i guess :beer:

Tin Man
2011-07-20, 23:19
enjoy the book. i guess :beer:

i didn't know she had writing skills.

good discussion... I think. anyway, my take is people who enjoyed her hospitality and giving nature just wanted to give something back. i didn't experience it, so i didn't give and i'm guessing that is what defined those who wanted to contribute vs. didn't. and i am sure no one gave more than they would have blown on something else, so no bigee. but, yeah, if i gave i would have thought a few more white blazes might lend some credibility to whatever book she might come up with... that and maybe a ghost writer.

Jester
2011-07-21, 02:36
Maybe you should know something about her writing skills (or lack thereof) before suggesting a ghost writer.

Yeah, that's the thing, and I've pointed it out before, but I guess I'll say it again. Bryson DID have someone "pay his way." It's called an advance, and it's how things work in the publishing industry. In fact, I can imagine the point at which Bryson, having promised a book about a thru-hike (and received his substantial advance), realized that he had no interest in actually thru-hiking. But I can't imagine one of the thoughts drifting through his transome was "maybe I should give the money back."

so that makes it OK for her to blow the cash on driving up and down the trail. oughta be an awesome book :rolleyes:

Might be. Seems like Lone Wolf is the person on whiteblaze most likely to praise the merits of "A Walk in the Woods," a book about an uncompleted thru-hike. But maybe he's just being contrarian when he does that.

As for what people are owed for funding her project, I have yet to hear a single funder complain about what she's doing or how she's doing it. Just think, Lone Wolf, when the kickstarter page was up, you could have donated $1, and your complaints now might have merit. Would've been money well spent.

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 06:05
Maybe you should know something about her writing skills (or lack thereof) before suggesting a ghost writer.

what has she published?

Yeah, that's the thing, and I've pointed it out before, but I guess I'll say it again. Bryson DID have someone "pay his way." It's called an advance, and it's how things work in the publishing industry. In fact, I can imagine the point at which Bryson, having promised a book about a thru-hike (and received his substantial advance), realized that he had no interest in actually thru-hiking. But I can't imagine one of the thoughts drifting through his transome was "maybe I should give the money back."

i don't think bryson or his publisher gave a rats ass about ending his 'thru-hike' early. they both wanted a story that would make an interesting read and be profitable - mission accomplished!

Rockhound
2011-07-21, 07:57
Again, don't care. She can keep my money, and I bet many of the folks that contributed also probably feel the same way.

But again, you didn't give any money but keep saying how things should be. You ain't got a dog in this fight but act like you do.

It's sort of like a Canadian telling us we shouldn't have elected Bush. None of their business.

Hey! No politics! Where the hell is Dixie when you need her?

Superman
2011-07-21, 08:05
Hey! No politics! Where the hell is Dixie when you need her?

You're just complaning because he didn't mention your boy....OBama.:angel:

Weary
2011-07-21, 19:35
Bryson was a well-paid semifamous writer. Janet ran a hiker hostel, that produced minimum if any profits during its short life. Besides, Bryson had a big advance from his publisher to pay for his walk.

Weary
2011-07-21, 19:48
fuck!!@ walk your walk and shut the fuck up. really. it's just a fuckin' trail.

Skidsteer
2011-07-21, 20:18
Hahahahahaha!

MonkeyBoy
2011-07-21, 20:29

Why don't you tell us what you really think, Weary..........don't hold back.

:)

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 20:32

someone hacked your account? :D

nicely work :beer:

Bearpaw
2011-07-21, 20:41

Weary may be the elder, but it looks like he learned some stuff from Wolf.

MonkeyBoy
2011-07-21, 20:44
So you're saying he's turning into a Wearwolf?

Superman
2011-07-21, 20:48

Sounds to me as though you are truly progressive.:beer:

woodsy
2011-07-21, 21:08

Sounds like you stayed too many days in Baxter Park and copped an attitude Weary

Nearly Normal
2011-07-21, 21:11
He's learning anyway.

Roots
2011-07-21, 21:20

Son of a ..... Lmfao!!!! That's funny shit right there I don't care who you are! Channeling Wolf there, aren't you?! Hahahaha...

Lone Wolf
2011-07-21, 21:32
Janet ran a hiker hostel, that produced minimum if any profits during its short life. Besides, Bryson had a big advance from his publisher to pay for his walk.

her choice

at least bryson made an attempt. and he produced an awesome read

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:04
Hahahahahaha!

someone hacked your account? :D

nicely work :beer:

Weary may be the elder, but it looks like he learned some stuff from Wolf.

Sounds to me as though you are truly progressive.:beer:

He's learning anyway.

:dito:

that is pretty funny

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:09
what has she published?

Nothing, to my knowledge. But before I had a series of (excellent and well written) articles published about my AT hike, I hadn't either. And before I wrote them, if you suggested that I needed a ghost writer I would have given you a good hard smack.

My point is that suggesting that someone should have a ghost writer when you have no idea how they write (and you don't, precisely because she isn't published) is not only needlessly insulting, it's also kind of ignorant. But maybe you just thought it was funny.

i don't think bryson or his publisher gave a rats ass about ending his 'thru-hike' early. they both wanted a story that would make an interesting read and be profitable - mission accomplished!

Um, yeah, you see, that's exactly my point. The person writing and the entity funding it didn't care that he didn't complete a thru-hike. Kind of like the situation we're currently in. The only people who seem to be getting their panties in a bunch about it aren't the writer or the entities who funded it.

her choice

at least bryson made an attempt. and he produced an awesome read

. . . and, like Bryson, we'll discover what a person who doesn't complete a thru-hike can do, writing-wise. Maybe it will suck. Maybe it won't be completed. In either case, I'll be more disappointed than you are now. Which isn't that much, really, 'cause you're just stirring the pot. On the other hand, maybe it will be good. We'll see.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-21, 22:11
scam. money not well spent. sad

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:14
We'll see, I suppose. But here's the way I look at it: if I'm wrong, I'm a well-meaning friend who believed in someone who didn't deliver. I'm comfortable with that.

But if you're wrong, you're just an asshole.

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:15

And not in a funny way.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:17
We'll see, I suppose. But here's the way I look at it: if I'm wrong, I'm a well-meaning friend who believed in someone who didn't deliver. I'm comfortable with that.

And not in a funny way.

you are running out of ammo when you start quoting yourself:aetsch:

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:18
you are running out of ammo when you start quoting yourself:aetsch:

I quote myself all the time! I find the things I say to be fascinating!

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:18
hahahahahahahaha

Lone Wolf
2011-07-21, 22:20

i'm normally not wrong. but i'm an asshole, true. but i do good good overall

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:23
i'm normally not wrong. but i'm an asshole, true. but i do good good overall

I know, Wolf. And I'll still love you either way.

SGT Rock
2011-07-21, 22:25
Same here brother wolf. Love to ya bro.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-21, 22:31
goddamit! now i feel bad. i love y'all also. miss janet too. sometimes shit just bothers me.

Hooch
2011-07-21, 22:33
goddamit! now i feel bad. i love y'all also. miss janet too. sometimes shit just bothers me.I'm gonna have to stop and hug you next week when I come thru D-town, aren't I? :ahhhhh:

Lone Wolf
2011-07-21, 22:34
I'm gonna have to stop and hug you next week when I come thru D-town, aren't I? :ahhhhh:

yes love. please do.

SGT Rock
2011-07-21, 22:38
goddamit! now i feel bad. i love y'all also. miss janet too. sometimes shit just bothers me.

And you are the guy that points to the other side of issues often. On WB you were what I called the "sanity check" when people started getting pompous about some issue like water filters, purism, trail guides, cell phones, dogs, guns, or whatever.:beer:

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 22:43
And you are the guy that points to the other side of issues often. On WB you were what I called the "sanity check" when people started getting pompous about some issue like water filters, purism, trail guides, cell phones, dogs, guns, or whatever.:beer:

indeed :beer:

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 22:45
Nothing, to my knowledge. But before I had a series of (excellent and well written) articles published about my AT hike, I hadn't either. And before I wrote them, if you suggested that I needed a ghost writer I would have given you a good hard smack.

My point is that suggesting that someone should have a ghost writer when you have no idea how they write (and you don't, precisely because she isn't published) is not only needlessly insulting, it's also kind of ignorant. But maybe you just thought it was funny.

Um, yeah, you see, that's exactly my point. The person writing and the entity funding it didn't care that he didn't complete a thru-hike. Kind of like the situation we're currently in. The only people who seem to be getting their panties in a bunch about it aren't the writer or the entities who funded it.

. . . and, like Bryson, we'll discover what a person who doesn't complete a thru-hike can do, writing-wise. Maybe it will suck. Maybe it won't be completed. In either case, I'll be more disappointed than you are now. Which isn't that much, really, 'cause you're just stirring the pot. On the other hand, maybe it will be good. We'll see.

wow, that there bug up your asspipe is fucking deep :bootyshak

whatever dude... beer's on me next time we meet :angel:

Kanga
2011-07-21, 23:10

who are you and what have you done with our weary?

(that was badass. well done. :adore:)

MonkeyBoy
2011-07-21, 23:11

You forgot shelters.

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 23:12
You forgot shelters.

that is a 'whatever'

Weary
2011-07-22, 10:41
He's learning anyway.
Actually, I just had a sudden attack of plagiarism.

SGT Rock
2011-07-22, 10:47
Gotta love it. Good job Weary.

chief
2011-07-22, 13:34
Guess this is the kiss and makeup part of the "Miss Janet" thread. Buncha faggots!

I'm heading to Uncle Johnny's this weekend. Think I'll ask how much he contributed to Janet's literary pursuits, I need a good laugh.

Rockhound
2011-07-22, 14:21
I'm heading to Uncle Johnny's this weekend.
If you get a chance, play the Chinese Checkers game on the picnic table out front.

Elder
2011-07-22, 14:43
If you get a chance, play the Chinese Checkers game on the picnic table out front.

+1 :ahhhhh:

Tin Man
2011-07-22, 14:49

wazzat mean?

Elder
2011-07-22, 15:19
er..Great Game!

Roots
2011-07-22, 15:25

Wolf...I love your Asshole ways! But that's because I know you aren't anything more than a Teddy bear deep down! Plus I love your better half! :-)

Big Mac
2011-07-22, 19:18
Guess this is the kiss and makeup part of the "Miss Janet" thread. Buncha faggots!

I'm heading to Uncle Johnny's this weekend. Think I'll ask how much he contributed to Janet's literary pursuits, I need a good laugh.

Stfuyrb

woodsy
2011-07-22, 19:36
Stfuyrb

OUCH !:beer:

Lone Wolf
2011-07-22, 21:30

suck one dick and they call you a faggot. the fact that you're purposely goin' to johnnies means you're a dumbfuck, cocksuckin', diddleback douche. :beer:

Lone Wolf
2011-07-22, 21:31
Stfuyrb

shut the fuck up you ?

Skidsteer
2011-07-22, 21:34
shut the fuck up you ?

Stfuyrb:

Shut the fuck up you rat bastard.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-22, 21:38
Stfuyrb:

merci beau coup

Skidsteer
2011-07-22, 21:41
merci beau coup

Pas de problème

Big Mac
2011-07-22, 23:00
Stfuyrb:

Right on the button Skids. :beer:

Roots
2011-07-23, 21:24

Stfuyrb

suck one dick and they call you a faggot. the fact that you're purposely goin' to johnnies means you're a dumbfuck, cocksuckin', diddleback douche. :beer:

Stfuyrb:

Shut the fuck up you rat
bastard.

Lmfao!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

chief
2011-07-25, 02:42
Who you callin diddleback? Uh, what is diddleback?

General
2011-07-25, 08:18
diddleback: a person who diddles themseves backwards. no-one is that stupid.

Weary
2011-07-25, 22:44
diddleback: a person who diddles themseves backwards. no-one is that stupid.
So you are saying there is no one is as stupid as a diddleback, so there are no diddlebacks. Let's then occasionally talk about real things on this site.

Big Mac
2011-07-25, 23:07
Occasionally we do - occasionally we don't.

sheepdog
2011-07-25, 23:09
So you are saying there is no one is as stupid as a diddleback, so there are no diddlebacks. Let's then occasionally talk about real things on this site.

I'm here to escape reality.

Lugnut
2011-07-25, 23:50

Why? I'm not here to learn anything and so far I have been quite successful! :beer:

Nearly Normal
2011-07-25, 23:51

Nothing is real for very long.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 09:45

quit trying to get everybody to do what you want. we'll talk about what we want to talk about. if you don't like it, you are free to not participate.

cool breeze
2011-07-26, 09:54
Preach it sista.

saimyoji
2011-07-26, 09:55
quit trying to get everybody to do what you want. we'll talk about what we want to talk about. if you don't like it, you are free to not participate.

Mooooooo :bootyshak

Crikey
2011-07-26, 12:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSa8IWWXX5k

Weary
2011-07-26, 13:35
Kanga, you should feel free to talk about anything you want. So will I. But right at the moment I'm working on bog bridging on our land trust trails. I left the construction early today because we are feeding lobster to 25 people in honor of the return of a prodigal grandson. He was married last Christmas without telling anyone. He's returning to show us his wife, a member of the US Coast Guard.

The bog bridging is a delayed project. We've had 30 4 by 6" by 8' timbers stacked on site for weeks. Our crew consists of two paid leaders and four inner city kids from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, two other grandkids, a significant other, and me.

I'm too old to do much actual work. But I try to nudge the workers into building the bridges properly. Nudging people to do things right is probably my only talent. I even practice it sometimes on this trail site.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-26, 13:42
Kanga, you should feel free to talk about anything you want. So will I. But right at the moment I'm working on bog bridging on our land trust trails. I left the construction early today because we are feeding lobster to 25 people in honor of the return of a prodigal grandson. He was married last Christmas without telling anyone. He's returning to show us his wife, a member of the US Coast Guard.

The bog bridging is a delayed project. We've had 30 4 by 6" by 8' timbers stacked on site for weeks. Our crew consists of two paid leaders and four inner city kids from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, two other grandkids, a significant other, and me.

I'm too old to do much actual work. But I try to nudge the workers into building the bridges properly. Nudging people to do things right is probably my only talent. I even practice it sometimes on this trail site.
solicit $$$ from other hikers like MJ

Kanga
2011-07-26, 16:24
i am going to bake you a cookie.

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 17:10

Better make it a prune cookie.

General
2011-07-26, 17:23
i don't really nudge, so no nudging needed unless you like beating your head against a frickin' wall. i think there is more interest in diddling than bog bridging anyway.

diddle diddle, the kitty is in the middle. can you remember that far back?

Kanga
2011-07-26, 17:33
Walk this way

Weary
2011-07-26, 17:33
solicit $$$ from other hikers like MJ
Well, we don't have many hikers in this small town. That's why we're building bog bridging. We don't want anyone to get their feet wet and stop walking.

But I'm almost better at begging for money as I am at nudging people to build bog bridging properly, and to participate in a web site properly.

Every map I produce, every newsletter, every brochure contains a plug for more money -- and most importantly for workers to keep those bog bridges coming.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 17:35
YOU are the one not participating properly.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 17:35
Talk this way

General
2011-07-26, 18:05
participate in a web site properly? what in the hell are you fingering about? does that mean that i shouldn't diddle while i type? i guess that way the keyboard would stay cleaner. dude, i'm sure at your age you've done many many good, kind and wonderful things, but there is no reason to dictate how folks act on a web site that you do not own or manage. you've got no dog in this fight.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 20:27
hahaha! you said fingering.

john pickett
2011-07-26, 20:27
"Walk this way"
If I tried to walk that way, I could kiss my marriage goodby.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 20:29
ironically, the next words to that song are:

"just gimme a kiss"...

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 20:30
"Walk this way"

you say that like it would be a bad thing... :albertein

General
2011-07-26, 20:38
hahaha! you said fingering.

i thought the thread was about diddling

Kanga
2011-07-26, 20:39
either one is good.:beer:

Big Mac
2011-07-26, 20:51

either one is good.:beer:

multi-tasking is better.

Jester
2011-07-26, 21:06
"Walk this way"

"If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need the talcum powder."

Bearpaw
2011-07-26, 21:14
ironically, the next words to that song are:

"just gimme a kiss"...

"Like this!" :handkiss:

ed bell
2011-07-27, 19:58

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/54zhb1.gif?w=320&h=206

Bearpaw
2011-07-27, 20:02
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/54zhb1.gif?w=320&h=206

Dammit Ed, I can't get Dewey Bear unglued from the monitor!

Weary
2011-07-27, 22:20
i don't really nudge, so no nudging needed unless you like beating your head against a frickin' wall. i think there is more interest in diddling than bog bridging anyway.

diddle diddle, the kitty is in the middle. can you remember that far back?
Come on. don't taunt me. That's most of what I remember that far back.

But unlike Kanga, I reserve the right to post anything I want. Those who think otherwise, just haven't been participating very broadly in this human experience. However, I remember with pleasure a few diddling experiences and fingering experiences. I've always sort of thought that one generally kind of lead to the other, regardless of the order.

Kanga. PLease correct me if I'm wrong.

Kanga
2011-07-27, 22:36
huh?

john pickett
2011-07-28, 13:27
"you say that like it would be a bad thing"
After 37 years of marriage it Would be a bad thing. I'm Way to old to start over now.

Tuckahoe
2011-07-28, 20:36

In honor of all the talk about diddling

Diddling
by Edgar Allan Poe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, diddle diddle
The cat and the fiddle

SINCE the world began there have been two Jeremys. The one wrote a Jeremiad about usury, and was called Jeremy Bentham. He has been much admired by Mr. John Neal, and was a great man in a small way. The other gave name to the most important of the Exact Sciences, and was a great man in a great way-I may say, indeed, in the very greatest of ways.

Diddling-or the abstract idea conveyed by the verb to diddle-is sufficiently well understood. Yet the fact, the deed, the thing diddling, is somewhat difficult to define. We may get, however, at a tolerably distinct conception of the matter in hand, by defining- not the thing, diddling, in itself-but man, as an animal that diddles. Had Plato but hit upon this, he would have been spared the affront of the picked chicken.

Very pertinently it was demanded of Plato, why a picked chicken, which was clearly "a biped without feathers," was not, according to his own definition, a man? But I am not to be bothered by any similar query. Man is an animal that diddles, and there is no animal that diddles but man. It will take an entire hen-coop of picked chickens to get over that.

What constitutes the essence, the nare, the principle of diddling is, in fact, peculiar to the class of creatures that wear coats and pantaloons. A crow thieves; a fox cheats; a weasel outwits; a man diddles. To diddle is his destiny. "Man was made to mourn," says the poet. But not so:-he was made to diddle. This is his aim-his object- his end. And for this reason when a man's diddled we say he's "done."

Diddling, rightly considered, is a compound, of which the ingredients are minuteness, interest, perseverance, ingenuity, audacity, nonchalance, originality, impertinence, and grin.

Minuteness:-Your diddler is minute. His operations are upon a small scale. His business is retail, for cash, or approved paper at sight. Should he ever be tempted into magnificent speculation, he then, at once, loses his distinctive features, and becomes what we term "financier." This latter word conveys the diddling idea in every respect except that of magnitude. A diddler may thus be regarded as a banker in petto-a "financial operation," as a diddle at Brobdignag. The one is to the other, as Homer to "Flaccus"-as a Mastodon to a mouse-as the tail of a comet to that of a pig.

Interest:-Your diddler is guided by self-interest. He scorns to diddle for the mere sake of the diddle. He has an object in view- his pocket-and yours. He regards always the main chance. He looks to Number One. You are Number Two, and must look to yourself.

Perseverance:-Your diddler perseveres. He is not readily discouraged. Should even the banks break, he cares nothing about it. He steadily pursues his end, and

Ut canis a corio nunquam absterrebitur uncto.
so he never lets go of his game.

Ingenuity: Your diddler is ingenious. He has constructiveness large. He understands plot. He invents and circumvents. Were he not Alexander he would be Diogenes. Were he not a diddler, he would be a maker of patent rat-traps or an angler for trout.

Audacity: Your diddler is audacious.-He is a bold man. He carries the war into Africa. He conquers all by assault. He would not fear the daggers of Frey Herren. With a little more prudence Dick Turpin would have made a good diddler; with a trifle less blarney, Daniel O'Connell; with a pound or two more brains Charles the Twelfth.

Nonchalance: Your diddler is nonchalant. He is not at all nervous. He never had any nerves. He is never seduced into a flurry. He is never put out-unless put out of doors. He is cool-cool as a cucumber. He is calm-"calm as a smile from Lady Bury." He is easy- easy as an old glove, or the damsels of ancient Baiae.

Originality: Your diddler is original-conscientiously so. His thoughts are his own. He would scorn to employ those of another. A stale trick is his aversion. He would return a purse, I am sure, upon discovering that he had obtained it by an unoriginal diddle.

Impertinence: Your diddler is impertinent. He swaggers. He sets his arms a-kimbo. He thrusts. his hands in his trowsers' pockets. He sneers in your face. He treads on your corns. He eats your dinner, he drinks your wine, he borrows your money, he pulls your nose, he kicks your poodle, and he kisses your wife.

Grin: Your true diddler winds up all with a grin. But this nobody sees but himself. He grins when his daily work is done-when his allotted labors are accomplished-at night in his own closet, and altogether for his own private entertainment. He goes home. He locks his door. He divests himself of his clothes. He puts out his candle. He gets into bed. He places his head upon the pillow. All this done, and your diddler grins. This is no hypothesis. It is a matter of course. I reason a priori, and a diddle would be no diddle without a grin.

The origin of the diddle is referrable to the infancy of the Human Race. Perhaps the first diddler was Adam. At all events, we can trace the science back to a very remote period of antiquity. The moderns, however, have brought it to a perfection never dreamed of by our thick-headed progenitors. Without pausing to speak of the "old saws," therefore, I shall content myself with a compendious account of some of the more "modern instances."

A very good diddle is this. A housekeeper in want of a sofa, for instance, is seen to go in and out of several cabinet warehouses. At length she arrives at one offering an excellent variety. She is accosted, and invited to enter, by a polite and voluble individual at the door. She finds a sofa well adapted to her views, and upon inquiring the price, is surprised and delighted to hear a sum named at least twenty per cent. lower than her expectations. She hastens to make the purchase, gets a bill and receipt, leaves her address, with a request that the article be sent home as speedily as possible, and retires amid a profusion of bows from the shopkeeper. The night arrives and no sofa. A servant is sent to make inquiry about the delay. The whole transaction is denied. No sofa has been sold-no money received-except by the diddler, who played shop-keeper for the nonce.

Our cabinet warehouses are left entirely unattended, and thus afford every facility for a trick of this kind. Visitors enter, look at furniture, and depart unheeded and unseen. Should any one wish to purchase, or to inquire the price of an article, a bell is at hand, and this is considered amply sufficient.

Again, quite a respectable diddle is this. A well-dressed individual enters a shop, makes a purchase to the value of a dollar; finds, much to his vexation, that he has left his pocket-book in another coat pocket; and so says to the shopkeeper-

"My dear sir, never mind; just oblige me, will you, by sending the bundle home? But stay! I really believe that I have nothing less than a five dollar bill, even there. However, you can send four dollars in change with the bundle, you know."

"Very good, sir," replies the shop-keeper, who entertains, at once, a lofty opinion of the high-mindedness of his customer. "I know fellows," he says to himself, "who would just have put the goods under their arm, and walked off with a promise to call and pay the dollar as they came by in the afternoon."

A boy is sent with the parcel and change. On the route, quite accidentally, he is met by the purchaser, who exclaims:

"Ah! This is my bundle, I see-I thought you had been home with it, long ago. Well, go on! My wife, Mrs. Trotter, will give you the five dollars-I left instructions with her to that effect. The change you might as well give to me-I shall want some silver for the Post Office. Very good! One, two, is this a good quarter?- three, four-quite right! Say to Mrs. Trotter that you met me, and be sure now and do not loiter on the way."

The boy doesn't loiter at all-but he is a very long time in getting back from his errand-for no lady of the precise name of Mrs. Trotter is to be discovered. He consoles himself, however, that he has not been such a fool as to leave the goods without the money, and re-entering his shop with a self-satisfied air, feels sensibly hurt and indignant when his master asks him what has become of the change.

A very simple diddle, indeed, is this. The captain of a ship, which is about to sail, is presented by an official looking person with an unusually moderate bill of city charges. Glad to get off so easily, and confused by a hundred duties pressing upon him all at once, he discharges the claim forthwith. In about fifteen minutes, another and less reasonable bill is handed him by one who soon makes it evident that the first collector was a diddler, and the original collection a diddle.

And here, too, is a somewhat similar thing. A steamboat is casting loose from the wharf. A traveller, portmanteau in hand, is discovered running toward the wharf, at full speed. Suddenly, he makes a dead halt, stoops, and picks up something from the ground in a very agitated manner. It is a pocket-book, and-"Has any gentleman lost a pocketbook?" he cries. No one can say that he has exactly lost a pocket-book; but a great excitement ensues, when the treasure trove is found to be of value. The boat, however, must not be detained.

"Time and tide wait for no man," says the captain.

"For God's sake, stay only a few minutes," says the finder of the book-"the true claimant will presently appear."

"Can't wait!" replies the man in authority; "cast off there, d'ye hear?"

"What am I to do?" asks the finder, in great tribulation. "I am about to leave the country for some years, and I cannot conscientiously retain this large amount in my possession. I beg your pardon, sir," [here he addresses a gentleman on shore,] "but you have the air of an honest man. Will you confer upon me the favor of taking charge of this pocket-book-I know I can trust you-and of advertising it? The notes, you see, amount to a very considerable sum. The owner will, no doubt, insist upon rewarding you for your trouble-

"Me!-no, you!-it was you who found the book."

"Well, if you must have it so-I will take a small reward-just to satisfy your scruples. Let me see-why these notes are all hundreds- bless my soul! a hundred is too much to take-fifty would be quite enough, I am sure-

"Cast off there!" says the captain.

"But then I have no change for a hundred, and upon the whole, you had better-

"Cast off there!" says the captain.

"Never mind!" cries the gentleman on shore, who has been examining his own pocket-book for the last minute or so-"never mind! I can fix it-here is a fifty on the Bank of North America-throw the book."

And the over-conscientious finder takes the fifty with marked reluctance, and throws the gentleman the book, as desired, while the steamboat fumes and fizzes on her way. In about half an hour after her departure, the "large amount" is seen to be a "counterfeit presentment," and the whole thing a capital diddle.

A bold diddle is this. A camp-meeting, or something similar, is to be held at a certain spot which is accessible only by means of a free bridge. A diddler stations himself upon this bridge, respectfully informs all passers by of the new county law, which establishes a toll of one cent for foot passengers, two for horses and donkeys, and so forth, and so forth. Some grumble but all submit, and the diddler goes home a wealthier man by some fifty or sixty dollars well earned. This taking a toll from a great crowd of people is an excessively troublesome thing.

A neat diddle is this. A friend holds one of the diddler's promises to pay, filled up and signed in due form, upon the ordinary blanks printed in red ink. The diddler purchases one or two dozen of these blanks, and every day dips one of them in his soup, makes his dog jump for it, and finally gives it to him as a bonne bouche. The note arriving at maturity, the diddler, with the diddler's dog, calls upon the friend, and the promise to pay is made the topic of discussion. The friend produces it from his escritoire, and is in the act of reaching it to the diddler, when up jumps the diddler's dog and devours it forthwith. The diddler is not only surprised but vexed and incensed at the absurd behavior of his dog, and expresses his entire readiness to cancel the obligation at any moment when the evidence of the obligation shall be forthcoming.

A very mean diddle is this. A lady is insulted in the street by a diddler's accomplice. The diddler himself flies to her assistance, and, giving his friend a comfortable thrashing, insists upon attending the lady to her own door. He bows, with his hand upon his heart, and most respectfully bids her adieu. She entreats him, as her deliverer, to walk in and be introduced to her big brother and her papa. With a sigh, he declines to do so. "Is there no way, then, sir," she murmurs, "in which I may be permitted to testify my gratitude?"

"Why, yes, madam, there is. Will you be kind enough to lend me a couple of shillings?"

In the first excitement of the moment the lady decides upon fainting outright. Upon second thought, however, she opens her purse-strings and delivers the specie. Now this, I say, is a diddle minute-for one entire moiety of the sum borrowed has to be paid to the gentleman who had the trouble of performing the insult, and who had then to stand still and be thrashed for performing it.

Rather a small but still a scientific diddle is this. The diddler approaches the bar of a tavern, and demands a couple of twists of tobacco. These are handed to him, when, having slightly examined them, he says:

"I don't much like this tobacco. Here, take it back, and give me a glass of brandy and water in its place." The brandy and water is furnished and imbibed, and the diddler makes his way to the door. But the voice of the tavern-keeper arrests him.

"I believe, sir, you have forgotten to pay for your brandy and water."

"Pay for my brandy and water!-didn't I give you the tobacco for the brandy and water? What more would you have?"

"But, sir, if you please, I don't remember that you paid me for the tobacco."

"What do you mean by that, you scoundrel?-Didn't I give you back your tobacco? Isn't that your tobacco lying there? Do you expect me to pay for what I did not take?"

"But, sir," says the publican, now rather at a loss what to say, "but sir-"

"But me no buts, sir," interrupts the diddler, apparently in very high dudgeon, and slamming the door after him, as he makes his escape.-"But me no buts, sir, and none of your tricks upon travellers."

Here again is a very clever diddle, of which the simplicity is not its least recommendation. A purse, or pocket-book, being really lost, the loser inserts in one of the daily papers of a large city a fully descriptive advertisement.

Whereupon our diddler copies the facts of this advertisement, with a change of heading, of general phraseology and address. The original, for instance, is long, and verbose, is headed "A Pocket-Book Lost!" and requires the treasure, when found, to be left at No. 1 Tom Street. The copy is brief, and being headed with "Lost" only, indicates No. 2 Dick, or No. 3 Harry Street, as the locality at which the owner may be seen. Moreover, it is inserted in at least five or six of the daily papers of the day, while in point of time, it makes its appearance only a few hours after the original. Should it be read by the loser of the purse, he would hardly suspect it to have any reference to his own misfortune. But, of course, the chances are five or six to one, that the finder will repair to the address given by the diddler, rather than to that pointed out by the rightful proprietor. The former pays the reward, pockets the treasure and decamps.

Quite an analogous diddle is this. A lady of ton has dropped, some where in the street, a diamond ring of very unusual value. For its recovery, she offers some forty or fifty dollars reward-giving, in her advertisement, a very minute description of the gem, and of its settings, and declaring that, on its restoration at No. so and so, in such and such Avenue, the reward would be paid instanter, without a single question being asked. During the lady's absence from home, a day or two afterwards, a ring is heard at the door of No. so and so, in such and such Avenue; a servant appears; the lady of the house is asked for and is declared to be out, at which astounding information, the visitor expresses the most poignant regret. His business is of importance and concerns the lady herself. In fact, he had the good fortune to find her diamond ring. But perhaps it would be as well that he should call again. "By no means!" says the servant; and "By no means!" says the lady's sister and the lady's sister-in-law, who are summoned forthwith. The ring is clamorously identified, the reward is paid, and the finder nearly thrust out of doors. The lady returns and expresses some little dissatisfaction with her sister and sister-in-law, because they happen to have paid forty or fifty dollars for a fac-simile of her diamond ring-a fac-simile made out of real pinch-beck and unquestionable paste.

But as there is really no end to diddling, so there would be none to this essay, were I even to hint at half the variations, or inflections, of which this science is susceptible. I must bring this paper, perforce, to a conclusion, and this I cannot do better than by a summary notice of a very decent, but rather elaborate diddle, of which our own city was made the theatre, not very long ago, and which was subsequently repeated with success, in other still more verdant localities of the Union. A middle-aged gentleman arrives in town from parts unknown. He is remarkably precise, cautious, staid, and deliberate in his demeanor. His dress is scrupulously neat, but plain, unostentatious. He wears a white cravat, an ample waistcoat, made with an eye to comfort alone; thick-soled cosy-looking shoes, and pantaloons without straps. He has the whole air, in fact, of your well-to-do, sober-sided, exact, and respectable "man of business," Par excellence-one of the stern and outwardly hard, internally soft, sort of people that we see in the crack high comedies-fellows whose words are so many bonds, and who are noted for giving away guineas, in charity, with the one hand, while, in the way of mere bargain, they exact the uttermost fraction of a farthing with the other.

He makes much ado before he can get suited with a boarding house. He dislikes children. He has been accustomed to quiet. His habits are methodical-and then he would prefer getting into a private and respectable small family, piously inclined. Terms, however, are no object-only he must insist upon settling his bill on the first of every month, (it is now the second) and begs his landlady, when he finally obtains one to his mind, not on any account to forget his instructions upon this point-but to send in a bill, and receipt, precisely at ten o'clock, on the first day of every month, and under no circumstances to put it off to the second.

These arrangements made, our man of business rents an office in a reputable rather than a fashionable quarter of the town. There is nothing he more despises than pretense. "Where there is much show," he says, "there is seldom any thing very solid behind"-an observation which so profoundly impresses his landlady's fancy, that she makes a pencil memorandum of it forthwith, in her great family Bible, on the broad margin of the Proverbs of Solomon.

The next step is to advertise, after some such fashion as this, in the principal business six-pennies of the city-the pennies are eschewed as not "respectable"-and as demanding payment for all advertisements in advance. Our man of business holds it as a point of his faith that work should never be paid for until done.

"WANTED-The advertisers, being about to commence extensive business operations in this city, will require the services of three or four intelligent and competent clerks, to whom a liberal salary will be paid. The very best recommendations, not so much for capacity, as for integrity, will be expected. Indeed, as the duties to be performed involve high responsibilities, and large amounts of money must necessarily pass through the hands of those engaged, it is deemed advisable to demand a deposit of fifty dollars from each clerk employed. No person need apply, therefore, who is not prepared to leave this sum in the possession of the advertisers, and who cannot furnish the most satisfactory testimonials of morality. Young gentlemen piously inclined will be preferred. Application should be made between the hours of ten and eleven A. M., and four and five P. M., of Messrs.

"Bogs, Hogs Logs, Frogs & Co.,
"No. 110 Dog Street"

By the thirty-first day of the month, this advertisement has brought to the office of Messrs. Bogs, Hogs, Logs, Frogs, and Company, some fifteen or twenty young gentlemen piously inclined. But our man of business is in no hurry to conclude a contract with any-no man of business is ever precipitate-and it is not until the most rigid catechism in respect to the piety of each young gentleman's inclination, that his services are engaged and his fifty dollars receipted for, just by way of proper precaution, on the part of the respectable firm of Bogs, Hogs, Logs, Frogs, and Company. On the morning of the first day of the next month, the landlady does not present her bill, according to promise-a piece of neglect for which the comfortable head of the house ending in ogs would no doubt have chided her severely, could he have been prevailed upon to remain in town a day or two for that purpose.

As it is, the constables have had a sad time of it, running hither and thither, and all they can do is to declare the man of business most emphatically, a "hen knee high"-by which some persons imagine them to imply that, in fact, he is n. e. i.-by which again the very classical phrase non est inventus, is supposed to be understood. In the meantime the young gentlemen, one and all, are somewhat less piously inclined than before, while the landlady purchases a shilling's worth of the Indian rubber, and very carefully obliterates the pencil memorandum that some fool has made in her great family Bible, on the broad margin of the Proverbs of Solomon.

THE END

Skidsteer
2011-07-28, 20:47
And I thought I knew all there was to know about diddling.

DesertReprobate
2011-07-28, 21:44
And I thought I knew all there was to know about diddling.

I guess you do now

General
2011-07-28, 22:09
that's freakin' awesome!

Superman
2011-07-28, 22:56
That's ....too many words.:angel:

Crikey
2011-07-29, 09:01
Nevermore.

sheepdog
2011-07-29, 10:44
That's ....too many words.:angel:

I'm waiting for the movie myself

Tuckahoe
2011-07-29, 22:08
See should have paid better attention in American lit... that and the teachers should have cut that Henry David Thoreau crap out. Would have allowed more time for diddling.

Weary
2011-07-29, 23:53
See should have paid better attention in American lit... that and the teachers should have cut that Henry David Thoreau crap out. Would have allowed more time for diddling.
I messed around with American literature for a number of years, eventually as a student at the University of Illinois. Henry Thoreau is the only American writer of the period -- other than what are now kids books and perhaps, Poe -- that has other than an academic audience these days.

The Thoreau Society has thousands of members, who never took an American LIterature course. For those willing to read and think, Henry's appeal transcends literature and the generations.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-30, 00:26
The Abbey Society has thousands of members, who never took an American LIterature course. For those willing to read and think, Ed's appeal transcends literature and the generations. thoreau was just a good writer. his practices never matched his preaching

Jester
2011-07-30, 03:32
. . . For those willing to read and think, Henry's appeal transcends literature and the generations. . .

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're smart enough to be playing off of his role as a transcendentalist.

thoreau was just a good writer. his practices never matched his preaching

Well, I've enjoyed his writings. And the funny thing about them is, few people seem to be aware that his cabin was within walking distance of town, and a mile and a half from where he grew up. So it's not like he was in the middle of nowhere at walden Pond. But here's the great thing -- if you read The Maine Woods, it's pretty clear that actually being in the middle of nowhere scared the crap out of him. Which I like.

Weary
2011-07-30, 10:58
When I and a friend founded our town land trust almost 40 years ago my goal was to achieve Henry's belief that every town should set aside a thousand acres where citizens could enjoy experiencing nature. We've almost succeeded. The land trust now manages 800 acres, which aside from trails, has no other purpose than a place to commune with the natural world.

Other groups have since joined the effort. One family set aside 600 acres of wild ocean front beach and adjoining salt marshes and woodlands. An old guy gave the Nature Conservancy 2,000 acres, shortly before his death, with the stipulation that they be mostly managed as a forever wild preserve.

Others donated land and sold a wild island at a bargain price to the state's fish and game department.

All told 5,000 acres of the 18,000 acres that make up this small coastal peninsula are now protected from development.

Henry Thoreau's vision remains alive. The influence of his words grows.

Kanga
2011-07-30, 11:15
That is truly a noble pursuit weary and I for one appreciate your work

Tuckahoe
2011-07-30, 18:14
Jester-- And the funny thing about them is, few people seem to be aware that his cabin was within walking distance of town, and a mile and a half from where he grew up. So it's not like he was in the middle of nowhere at walden Pond. But here's the great thing -- if you read The Maine Woods, it's pretty clear that actually being in the middle of nowhere scared the crap out of him. Which I like.

And everytime the subject of HDT came up in class, I couldnt help but think he was a poser. That was always my take.

Mags
2011-07-30, 21:56
And everytime the subject of HDT came up in class, I couldnt help but think he was a poser. That was always my take.

A man with interesting ideas, wrote well and was eloquent about his passions.

But, like all people, he had flaws.

I wouldn't say he was poseur, as much as a person who was well and truly scared shitless when confronted with some gnarly weather on Katahdin.

Of course, that's just an interpretation and wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... :)