PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

Ray
2011-03-24, 12:27
Never used them. I do have a dogwood staff that I like. But now I gotta think about using two hiking poles.

In fact the thinking's already been done. Doctor's orders are that I can start getting back out onto trails but DO NOT FALL DOWN. He kinda emphasized that part. Poles will probably help with that.

So are any of them better or worse than any others? Any features you like or don't? Anything to look for or to look out for?

Cuffs
2011-03-24, 12:44
I like the cork composite grip over the foam grip, still has a grip when wet or sweaty. Does not crumble over the years.

Russell
2011-03-24, 13:09
Ray, I think Lone Wolf has a pair he might give you.

J5man
2011-03-24, 13:38
Ray, I think Lone Wolf has a pair he might give you.

haha......i agree with Cuffs. mine are eddie baurer from target for $30 a pair.

sheepdog
2011-03-24, 14:10
I really like my bamboo poles I got from goodwill. They were old cross country ski poles. Got the pair for $3. I just cut them down a little. Light, tough, and last forever. I've got an extra pair I could send you if you're interested.

Tin Man
2011-03-24, 14:34
i tried going pole-less once based on lw's recommendation. i fell hard, cracked a knee, bruised up a leg something terrible, and nearly shit my pants.

Lone Wolf
2011-03-24, 14:52
i tried going pole-less once based on lw's recommendation. i fell hard, cracked a knee, bruised up a leg something terrible, and nearly shit my pants.

it happens to all cyber-hikin', wannabe pack sniffers. folks that actually hike don't need them

D'Artagnan
2011-03-24, 14:59
Ray, you might check out the Black Diamond brand poles. I've got a set that are more of an elliptical-shaped pole versus the round poles from Leki and the like. I also like the way they adjust better. I can't count how many times I've thought of chucking my Lekis when the twisting mechanism won't engage the lock.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=black%20diamond%20hiking%20poles&utm_content=BD-TrekkingPoles_Copy1Deep&utm_campaign=Brand-Mountain

MonkeyBoy
2011-03-24, 15:11
Walmart has a cheapy brand that doesn't have the twist lock mechanism. It has a slide lock mechanism.

They cost like 10 bucks. If they break, ditch 'em and get another cheap pair.

Tin Man
2011-03-24, 15:21
it happens to all cyber-hikin', wannabe pack sniffers. folks that actually hike don't need them

I hike and I am klutz. Thank you for having me to your group. :bootyshak

11 steps to go. :bath:

SGT Rock
2011-03-24, 15:33
Horace Kephart mentions using Sourwood for his sticks.

mudhead
2011-03-24, 15:54
Walmart has a cheapy brand that doesn't have the twist lock mechanism. It has a slide lock mechanism.

They cost like 10 bucks. If they break, ditch 'em and get another cheap pair.

He doesn't get a freebie break and ditch. I wouldn't trust any adjustment mechanism with a new bionic hip.

Maybe those push button/hole on the side ones. Dunno.

If it were me I would go somewhere and tell them you want "unbreakable."

Then try in front of them.

Good luck.

dixicritter
2011-03-24, 18:08
These are similar to the ones I have... http://www.leki.com/trekking/trekkingPole.php?pID=64

I use two of them, works pretty well with my arthritis.

Ray
2011-03-24, 21:41
it happens to all cyber-hikin', wannabe pack sniffers. folks that actually hike don't need themYeah. I've never wanted, tried or pretended to be a long distance hiker. As far as I know the AT ends at the GA border since I've not walked an inch north of there. I'm just want to maintain another trail that nobody's even heard of and no one ever walks on.

I couldn't be a real hiker anyway. Because from now on every other step I take is artificial. Heh.

If they break, ditch 'em and get another cheap pair.I'd consider it a personal favor if you didn't throw that b-word around too much, ok?
---------------------------------
So I took advantage of doctor's orders to only work 20 hrs this week and arranged to have tomorrow off. So I'm getting up early to drive up and hear a talk about the DRT by the guy who blazed it. Just on the other side of Mtn X near Blairsville.

So after PT today I stopped and got a pair of cork handled twist lock poles and I'm thinking after the talk I'll mosey over to Winfield Scott and take the Slaughter Gap trail up to SG. The last time I did that walk, in October, I realized that the quack who said I had bursitis in my hip was full of it and I needed a new doctor. And that set in motion the chain of events that led to ... me now being interested in hiking poles, right?

So. Miz Janet - she about at Mtn X now or what?

Weary
2011-04-02, 10:10
....Doctor's orders are that I can start getting back out onto trails but DO NOT FALL DOWN. He kinda emphasized that part. Poles will probably help with that. ....
Poles tend to make you walk faster, which leads to falls. Resist the temptation to go faster than your normal pace.

woodsy
2011-04-02, 20:36
I've got Lekis, adjustable for different activities, skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, fording , sumer salts, base jumping, sky diving, scuba diving, etc.etc. One set does it all, I like em.

Tin Man
2011-04-02, 20:38
I've got Lekis, adjustable for different activities, skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, fording , sumer salts, base jumping, sky diving, scuba diving, etc.etc. One set does it all, I like em.

you left out hippie whacking.

Ray
2011-04-03, 13:10
Poles tend to make you walk faster, which leads to falls. Resist the temptation to go faster than your normal pace.Heh! Walk too fast after a total hip replacement? You've a sick sense of humor, sir. You didn't just arrive here from Whiteblaze, did you?

One cool thing about my Phys Therapist is that he's willing to humor me on "Quality of Life" issues, as I call them. Hiking's a QoL issue so we've spent some time discussing that and practicing with the poles.

Picking up dropped juggling clubs ("bowling pins" to you Muggles) is another since it's done via a kicking motion. So we spent part of my last session kicking juggling clubs around the therapy room and learning the do's and don'ts of that motion. There were some modifications I needed to make that I hadn't thought about so we discussed how certain rules now apply for life. Or the life of my implant if those rules aren't followed and how I ain't got no warranty on this gizmo. Ok, Ok, so I get the point. Soon he wants me to bring in a 30 pound backpack and I'll start working out while wearing that.

Next will be chainsawing. My old chainsaw died after only 25 years and the GAT Club's chainsaw is a big heavy mother. Add in water, gas, oil, wedges, some tools, hard hat, Kevlar chaps and big Sawyer's 1st Aid kit and it's over my weight bearing limit for now. So I'm in the market for a smaller chainsaw.The other weights are fixed, pretty much, so the only place to cut weight is the saw.

So can anyone recommend a smaller chainsaw with enough power to tackle 18 - 24 inch blowdowns? Anything bigger than that and I'll call the GATC Sawyer crew for help.

And, yeah, chainsawing, like everything else in my life, has changed. I used to be able to pivot and get the hell out of Dodge from any position. But now that whole pivoting thing comes with some severe restrictions and ignoring those restrictions can make a bad situation much worse. Because there ain't enough folk in the GATC willing to tote my ass off the Duncan Ridge Trail and there ain't no place up there to land a helicopter. So that affects the whole approach to cutting a blowdown and escape route planning.

sheepdog
2011-04-03, 14:44
A husky with a 19" bar should work good. Great machine with lots of power.

enviro
2011-04-04, 08:10
Heh! Walk too fast after a total hip replacement? You've a sick sense of humor, sir. You didn't just arrive here from Whiteblaze, did you?

One cool thing about my Phys Therapist is that he's willing to humor me on "Quality of Life" issues, as I call them. Hiking's a QoL issue so we've spent some time discussing that and practicing with the poles.

Picking up dropped juggling clubs ("bowling pins" to you Muggles) is another since it's done via a kicking motion. So we spent part of my last session kicking juggling clubs around the therapy room and learning the do's and don'ts of that motion. There were some modifications I needed to make that I hadn't thought about so we discussed how certain rules now apply for life. Or the life of my implant if those rules aren't followed and how I ain't got no warranty on this gizmo. Ok, Ok, so I get the point. Soon he wants me to bring in a 30 pound backpack and I'll start working out while wearing that.

Next will be chainsawing. My old chainsaw died after only 25 years and the GAT Club's chainsaw is a big heavy mother. Add in water, gas, oil, wedges, some tools, hard hat, Kevlar chaps and big Sawyer's 1st Aid kit and it's over my weight bearing limit for now. So I'm in the market for a smaller chainsaw.The other weights are fixed, pretty much, so the only place to cut weight is the saw.

So can anyone recommend a smaller chainsaw with enough power to tackle 18 - 24 inch blowdowns? Anything bigger than that and I'll call the GATC Sawyer crew for help.

And, yeah, chainsawing, like everything else in my life, has changed. I used to be able to pivot and get the hell out of Dodge from any position. But now that whole pivoting thing comes with some severe restrictions and ignoring those restrictions can make a bad situation much worse. Because there ain't enough folk in the GATC willing to tote my ass off the Duncan Ridge Trail and there ain't no place up there to land a helicopter. So that affects the whole approach to cutting a blowdown and escape route planning.

You should buy a quality saw next time.

D'Artagnan
2011-04-04, 11:08
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS362.html

13.0 lbs

Gray Blazer
2011-04-04, 15:38
Poles tend to make you walk faster, which leads to falls. Resist the temptation to go faster than your normal pace.

Lech Walensa made me walk really fast.

saimyoji
2011-04-04, 16:29
this whole thread is highly offensive. what about all the slovaks and swedes and germans and australopethicans out there hiking? they deserve recognition too.....

Kanga
2011-04-04, 16:37
i have reported your post as whiny liberal shit.

Ray
2011-04-04, 17:49
i have reported your post as whiny liberal shit.Oh way to go. Picking on our Board's only Asian black midget.

Kanga
2011-04-04, 18:07
i am an equal opportunity offender. that's as liberal as i'm gonna get.

Weary
2011-04-04, 18:53
Don't say that. We need to generate some serious disagreements to get some life into this site, and build up the participation.

Just say something outrageous, and I'll reply and we'll be off.

But if you insist I'll try to say something more outrageous than Alligator allows on White Blaze. I'll have to ponder the problem a bit first. I've been kicked off 3 or 4 threads on whiteblaze recently for pretty petty things. To stir debate I'll need to think of something pretty monstrous. Any suggestions?

Hog On Ice
2011-04-04, 19:15
Any suggestions?

yes but they are all anatomically impossible

Nearly Normal
2011-04-04, 19:53

I've found that most people that consider themselves "liberal" have it backwards. They are usually so convinced of their point they aren't liberal minded at all.
As far as I'm concerned the Bill of Rights was the most liberating document ever penned, by actual liberals in favor of liberty.

"shot at and missed, shit at and hit"
:bike:

Nearly Normal
2011-04-04, 19:57

That's about as liberal as there is!

Ray
2011-04-04, 20:29
I've found that most people that consider themselves "liberal" have it backwards. Hey! Lay off the dyslexics, K.O.?

Ray
2011-04-04, 20:45
Just say something outrageous, and I'll reply and we'll be off. Local businesses, or even international corporations, that derive income from hikers should be able to sponsor shelters or trail sections in exchange for advertising posted on areas of shelter walls set aside for that purpose. It would be discrete and only those who are in the shelter could see the adverts.

Or naming rights. The Leki Shelter, for example. OK so that may not be the best example of a name. But the L.L. Bean Shelter in Maine would be a perfect fit!

The money raised would be split by the ATC, the NPS and the local maintaining clubs. Hikers would get updated information about services available in that area. Win-win-win situation. What's not to like?

ed bell
2011-04-04, 20:52
Local businesses, or even international corporations, that derive income from hikers should be able to sponsor shelters or trail sections in exchange for advertising posted on areas of shelter walls set aside for that purpose. It would be discrete and only those who are in the shelter could see the adverts.

Or naming rights. The Leki Shelter, for example. OK so that may not be the best example of a name. But the L.L. Bean Shelter in Maine would be a perfect fit!

The money raised would be split by the ATC, the NPS and the local maintaining clubs. Hikers would get updated information about services available in that area. Win-win-win situation. What's not to like?Well, I could get behind that as long as the check clears before the vandalism happens....

Kanga
2011-04-04, 21:06
Don't say that. We need to generate some serious disagreements to get some life into this site, and build up the participation.

But if you insist I'll try to say something more outrageous than Alligator allows on White Blaze. I'll have to ponder the problem a bit first. I've been kicked off 3 or 4 threads on whiteblaze recently for pretty petty things. To stir debate I'll need to think of something pretty monstrous. Any suggestions?

it's hard to pick a topic since you
never know what's going to
set the man off.
either his wife is paying him enough
attention or maybe too much or
maybe, just maybe, he really just needs a hug.

Kanga
2011-04-04, 21:07
I've found that most people that consider themselves "liberal" have it backwards. They are usually so convinced of their point they aren't liberal minded at all.
As far as I'm concerned the Bill of Rights was the most liberating document ever penned, by actual liberals in favor of liberty.

"shot at and missed, shit at and hit"
:bike:

praise God and pass the ammunition.

sheepdog
2011-04-04, 21:20
praise God and pass the ammunition.

whoooohoooooo! Amen

saimyoji
2011-04-04, 23:37
just for fun i googled total hi replacement...and found this....

http://www.nowaybuddy.com

so sorry ray....never considered this aspect....

more info...
http://www.sosorrybutno.com

Ray
2011-04-05, 07:24
just for fun i googled total hi replacement...and found this....

http://www.nowaybuddy.com

so sorry ray....never considered this aspect....

more info...
http://www.sosorrybutno.comLeaving us to wonder why those sites don't cover the correct use of diving boards or safety harnesses, you know, real world situations. Or why it entirely left out the more interesting uses of the walker.
http://www.unitedseating.com/store/product_images/g/6240_a_400__41855.jpg

Gray Blazer
2011-04-05, 12:19

I know you're working for the CIA, they wouldn't let you in the Mafiay ...

We don't need silly arguments ... we've got Wharggyy!

mudhead
2011-04-05, 20:03
certain rules now apply for life. Or the life of my implant if those rules aren't followed and how I ain't got no warranty on this gizmo. Ok, Ok, so I get the point.

I hope it really sinks in.

Next will be chainsawing.

You gonna heal first or just maim that thing up?

like everything else in my life, has changed. I used to be able to pivot and get the hell out of Dodge from any position. But now that whole pivoting thing comes with some severe restrictions and ignoring those restrictions can make a bad situation much worse. Because there ain't enough folk in the GATC willing to tote my ass off the Duncan Ridge Trail and there ain't no place up there to land a helicopter. So that affects the whole approach to cutting a blowdown and escape route planning.

It is good you understand this. I had a revelation awhile back myself. Even if you have the green light to do certain things does not make it very smuckin' fart to do them. Can does not equal should.

Off my soapbox now. Limitations do suck.

Weatherman
2011-04-12, 18:41
I like my Leki cork-handled pair - never had a problem with the locking mechanism in ten years. At my age, two-legs bad - four legs good. Plus they're good for pushing back underbrush, clearing spiderwebs, knockin' stuff off the trail, removing snakes from one's footpath and if necessary, defending yourself from redneck dogs. Plus the use of my arms reduces swelling in my hands. Bottom line, do what ya wanna do, with or without sticks (HYOH).

General
2011-04-12, 19:03
Heh! Walk too fast after a total hip replacement? You've a sick sense of humor, sir. You didn't just arrive here from Whiteblaze, did you?

you need a bigger saw for what you wanna do. huskies are lighter than anything else though, or maybe a arborists saw, made for climbing trees with. jorgenson makes some nice ones. if you need something cut that is more than you want to tackle, i'll be more than happy to help you with that. if you do buy a lighter saw, get them to put the longest bar possible on it.

Weary
2011-04-12, 19:41
I first used a walking staff in 1991, when I walked Maine with a 9-year-old grandson. He kept falling, so I cut him a walking stick from some saplings left by a trail clearing crew at the foot of Dunn Notch Falls.

He wouldn't use a stick unless I did. So I cut one for myself. It worked well on that trip, so when I walked from Georgia to Maine two years later, I carried the same stick. I managed to do the trail with only two falls. Once when I was trying to impress the woman I was hiking with and watched her, rather than the trail. The second was after I switched boots at Waynesboro, VA. and didn't realize the tread slipped more easily on wet rocks than the boots I had started with in Georgia.

That stick weighed just nine ounces and cost just 75 cents -- the price of a crutch tip I bought at the local hardware store.

The stick remains serviceable. But I only use it occasionally, for fear of breaking it. It contains so many memories, I would cry if it broke. And at age 81, I don't like crying in public.

I've made several replacements since. All weigh between 9 and 10 ounces. I use them to keep my balance on rough trails and to whack off dead branches that obstruct my passage when scouting new trails.

None have ever broken. I just lend them out to old people when I'm leading guided walks, and if they are happy with them, they keep them with my best wishes. That's about as close to "trail magic" as I get, unless maintaining trails qualify.

Though my stability is not good, the only time I've fallen was the afternoon I tried out a pair of borrowed Lekis from The Cabin in Maine..

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 21:43
Ohhhh I get it

I thought this thread was about exploring Antarctica.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 21:44
Or maybe

Walt Kowalski when he was in Korea.

Ray
2011-04-12, 21:50
you need a bigger saw for what you wanna do. huskies are lighter than anything else though, or maybe a arborists saw, made for climbing trees with. jorgenson makes some nice ones. if you need something cut that is more than you want to tackle, i'll be more than happy to help you with that. if you do buy a lighter saw, get them to put the longest bar possible on it.First, thanks for the offer. And you are the 2nd person to recommend an arborists saw. The other was the small engine repair shop that I use. They don't sell new but they have enough stuff pass through their shop that I trust their opinion.

I haven't checked out any saws yet though. Still not ready. I climbed one side of Mulky Gap in the Cooper Creek WMA Saturday. No pack. I made it but that was right at my limit for now. But then 6 weeks ago it was a struggle walking down my driveway using 2 canes.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217687_10150267195333438_780023437_9236936_5958143 _n.jpg

Photo by Sierra Echo. Coosa Bald in the distance above my right fist, I think.

This implant throws off my balance since I don't get the same feedback from the titanium as I do from bone. Example - I can stand balanced on one foot, and that's one of my exercises, if I stare at a point across the room. If I shift my eye focus, like look at my watch, I topple over. Each time. Doesn't happen with the 'good' side, just the 'new' side. Irritating as all hell. Doc says that'll get better as I learn to adapt but it's definitely a change I wasn't expecting.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 21:53
So we can have some fun with "Hey Ray, What time is it?" for a little while.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-12, 22:02
Ray did very well on our hike up Akin Mtn!

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:28
Ohhhh I get it

I thought this thread was about exploring Antarctica.

Or maybe

Walt Kowalski when he was in Korea.

and I thought 'hiking poles' was a trail name... damn

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:41
and I thought 'hiking poles' was a trail name... damn

we need cliff notes:albertein

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:42
we need cliff notes:albertein

when did he hike?

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:43
when did he hike?

I think he was on cheers

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:46
I think I met him.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:51
I think I met him.

give him a beer anna hotdog??

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:59
No, I think I was hiking.

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:59
I don't think I have met anna hotdog.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 23:00
No, I think I was hiking.

you expect us to believe that??

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:21
Yea, 20 years next month, I have been on the AT. In that time I have hiked over 10,000 miles. I have climbed Katahdin 6 times, I have done the Presidentials 12 times.
I hiked 1,000 miles in '08.

I did hike that is why I had to get a new knee.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 23:32
Yea, 20 years next month, I have been on the AT. In that time I have hiked over 10,000 miles. I have climbed Katahdin 6 times, I have done the Presidentials 12 times.
I hiked 1,000 miles in '08.

I did hike that is why I had to get a new knee.

you are just a hiking god. geeeeee golly :adore:

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:38
And a movie star.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 23:46
And a movie star.

yeah, like bulldawg, the national geographic special dawg?

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:48
No, way better.

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:53
The Dawg was in a movie about the trail.

I was in a movie about me.