PDA

View Full Version : Another National Park for Maine?

Weary
2011-03-31, 00:15
Roxanne Quimby, founder of Burts Bees, is offering the National Park Service 70,000 acres for a second national park in Maine. The proposed park would be located on land she has purchased between Baxter State Park and the East Branch of the Penobscot River.

The proposed park would be twice the size of Acadia National Park and nearly twice the size of the Appalachian Trail corridor in Maine.

Details can be read here:
http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/28/outdoors/burts-bees-founder-quimby-wants-to-donate-national-park

Tin Man
2011-03-31, 00:21
will there be trails? cuz, ya know, we would like to recommend it to hikers. do you know any hikers? ours is in intensive care.

Weary
2011-03-31, 00:32
will there be trails? cuz, ya know, we would like to recommend it to hikers. do you know any hikers? ours is in intensive care.
Not many trails as yet. But there will be if we can pull this off. It's not easy to give away land in this political environment. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A good sign is the support of Bangor Dail News readers. A poll asking them if they support a Maine Woods National Park has 72 percent of the respondents voting yes. Maine's new governor and Republican Legislature tends to think parklands should be sold to the highest bidders so more condos can be built.

Tin Man
2011-03-31, 00:38
dang, i hope it works out. i hate condos.

rcli4
2011-03-31, 01:15
Not many trails as yet. But there will be if we can pull this off. It's not easy to give away land in this political environment. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A good sign is the support of Bangor Dail News readers. A poll asking them if they support a Maine Woods National Park has 72 percent of the respondents voting yes. Maine's new governor and Republican Legislature tends to think parklands should be sold to the highest bidders so more condos can be built.

Ya, but Maine Republicans are not real Republicans. They are kinda Republican lights.... The state is so far left it makes their Republicans look like Dems in Washington. Snowe is left of most Dems. I think it is Canada rubbing off.

Clyde

Weary
2011-03-31, 11:40
Ya, but Maine Republicans are not real Republicans. They are kinda Republican lights.... The state is so far left it makes their Republicans look like Dems in Washington. Snowe is left of most Dems. I think it is Canada rubbing off...Clyde
Not really true. We do tend to elect the brightest candidates, which often seems to favor Democrats and middle of the road Republicans. But voters did get a bit confused last November.

Senator Snowe talks a left leaning game, but when push comes to shove, she votes with her party leaders. Senator Collins is the same. It's a wise political strategy, enabling them to garner votes from both ends of the political spectrum.

Maine senators all live in the shadow of Republican Margaret Chase Smith, the first member of her party to take on McCarthy during the Eisenhower years. It made her a national figure and set a standard for later senators to achieve. Edmund Muskie and George Mitchell surpassed Smith. Snowe and Collins are trying.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of this thread, Roxanne Quimby is offering an immense gift to the state and the nation. She is a remarkable woman. She came to Maine as part of the back to the land movement of the 1970s, building a tiny, plumbing free cabin, with the help of a boy friend in central Maine.

Burt's Bees began in 1985 as a local project, a way to support her young children. She sold her candles and lip balm fashioned from wax from a neighbor's hives at local craft fairs. Within 15 years it was a national brand, manufactured in a southern industrial park. She sold an 80 percent interest in the business for $170 million, and the remaining 20 percent interest a few years later for $180 million -- and began buying land, land that she now wants to give to the nation. What's not to like?

She even raised good kids. One daughter hiked the Appalachian Trail a few years ago and now helps her mother run a multi million dollar foundation, that supports the arts and land protection.

SGT Rock
2011-03-31, 20:27
Just a suggestion, if you want to have trails in there, build them before you donate the land. Once it is in Federal hands it will have to go through a very annoying and drug out (and expensive) NEPA process before you can start cutting trails. I know one trail club doing just this exact thing. Although for them it is National Forrest and not National Park, but same NEPA rules apply.

Other than that idea. I'm all for more land being protected.

warraghiyagey
2011-03-31, 20:42
Just a suggestion, if you want to have trails in there, build them before you donate the land. Once it is in Federal hands it will have to go through a very annoying and drug out (and expensive) NEPA process before you can start cutting trails. I know one trail club doing just this exact thing. Although for them it is National Forrest and not National Park, but same NEPA rules apply.

Other than that idea. I'm all for more land being protected.

Roxanne Quimby is a shrewd customer. . . I totallty dig her style and I'm guessing that she has worked out all the legalities well in advance. . .

Tin Man
2011-03-31, 20:49
Roxanne Quimby is a shrewd customer. . . I totallty dig her style and I'm guessing that she has worked out all the legalities well in advance. . .

will catholes be allowed? because if I can't cathole, I can't hike there... arachnophobia and all

Weary
2011-03-31, 22:49
Well I've met Roxanne a few times. Talked with a lot of people who have done so. And have read her history.

I can say that she strikes me as a very wise person, as near as I can tell. I've spent 50 years working and have SS, a house on the water, and a tiny company pension. She has $350 million, she is giving away to a variety of matters that interest her.

I can relate a bit to that. When a landowner approached me and asked for us to join in a joint wood harvesting project on our adjacent woodlots, I thought quickly and suggested we both give our lands to our town land trust, which I had founded 30 years earlier.

My wife wondered a bit about why we should donate $28,000 (appraised value) to a land trust that had refused for years to allow me to serve on its board. But she didn't appreciate half the problems we would face.

Someone claimed to own all the land that my wife and I had paid
$1,200 for20 years earlier. And I had to spend several months, and weeks in the county court house, convincing the land trust board to accept our gift. The board didn't want to get involved in a property squabble between me and the claimant.

All I'm suggesting is that even giving away land is not easy, as Roxanne will soon discover. Unlike my wife and I, who needed only to deal with fellow volunteers, she will face hours -- perhaps days -- of debate in Congress and the Maine Legislature. New parks are no longer popular with the ignorant of American society.

SGT Rock
2011-03-31, 22:53
Thanks for the background Weary. I know the BMTA turned down a donation of land years ago. At the time they didn't want to deal with all the headaches of being land owners as a non-profit. The cost could exceed their budget of donations and such.

I imagine you could be right. If the Park Service is strapped for cash now, having to establish, man, and maintain a whole new park now may be a bridge too far given the current economy and budget issues.

MonkeyBoy
2011-03-31, 22:57
One idea could be to donate the land to an outdoor organization, like Scouting.

They would man the property, upkeep it and even allow other organizations to utilize the land for a small fee to help with costs of upkeep.

Weary
2011-03-31, 23:14
Thanks for the background Weary. I know the BMTA turned down a donation of land years ago. At the time they didn't want to deal with all the headaches of being land owners as a non-profit. The cost could exceed their budget of donations and such.

I imagine you could be right. If the Park Service is strapped for cash now, having to establish, man, and maintain a whole new park now may be a bridge too far given the current economy and budget issues.
Certainly, this is not an easy thing that Roxanne Quimby is endeavoring to do. But it is critical that she succeed. Her 70,000 acre donation will be opposed by those opposed to all public lands. It's partly religion, partly philosophy, and partly politics.

If she has the perseverance and dedication to overcome the hurdles, I suspect her gift will eventually result in at least a million acre national park in the northeast.

And such a preserve is badly needed. The northeastern forest is unique. And it is the only natural system in the nation that is not yet protected by a sizeable National Park.

As hikers have discovered over the many decades the trail has been in existence, northern New England is by world standards, a unique near rain forest. Once developed, as it surely will be, without strong and vigorous protection, this environment, and the plants and wild creatures that inhabit it, will disappear.

Tin Man
2011-03-31, 23:21
Certainly, this is not an easy thing that Roxanne Quimby is endeavoring to do. But it is critical that she succeed. Her 70,000 acre donation will be opposed by those opposed to all public lands. It's partly religion, partly philosophy, and partly politics.

If she has the perseverance and dedication to overcome the hurdles, I suspect her gift will eventually result in at least a million acre national park in the northeast.

And such a preserve is badly needed. The northeastern forest is unique. And it is the only natural system in the nation that is not yet protected by a sizeable National Park.

As hikers have discovered over the many decades the trail has been in existence, northern New England is by world standards, a unique near rain forest. Once developed, as it surely will be, without strong and vigorous protection, this environment, and the plants and wild creatures that inhabit it, will disappear.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing what you are doing to help preserve Maine's unique ecosystem.

sheepdog
2011-04-01, 11:45
dang, i hope it works out. i hate condors.
what you got against large birds from CA?

rcli4
2011-04-01, 22:01
I done some volunteer work for the St. Johns River Water Management District a while back. I met with Robert Kennedy Jr. and Ted Turner Jr. and convinced them to purchase a tract of land we felt was necessary for wetland fowl. I couldn't believe the shit we took over it. Folks didn't want to loose the tax revenue it could generate if developed in stead of preserved. River front property is high tax dollar, wet lands is nothing....

Clyde

Weary
2011-04-01, 23:02
I done some volunteer work for the St. Johns River Water Management District a while back. I met with Robert Kennedy Jr. and Ted Turner Jr. and convinced them to purchase a tract of land we felt was necessary for wetland fowl. I couldn't believe the shit we took over it. Folks didn't want to loose the tax revenue it could generate if developed in stead of preserved. River front property is high tax dollar, wet lands is nothing....Clyde
I know the problem. since retiring 20 years ago, I've spent most of my time working with my local land trust. The antagonism is gradually lifting, but it will never end.

But don't give up. Our little town -- population 2,200, acres 18,000 -- now has 5,000 acres of protected property, and according to the recent census we are one of the fastest growing small towns in the county.

Lugnut
2011-04-01, 23:34
I done some volunteer work for the St. Johns River Water Management District a while back. I met with Robert Kennedy Jr. and Ted Turner Jr. and convinced them to purchase a tract of land we felt was necessary for wetland fowl. I couldn't believe the shit we took over it. Folks didn't want to loose the tax revenue it could generate if developed in stead of preserved. River front property is high tax dollar, wet lands is nothing....

Clyde

My main disbelief is that you would even speak to RFK Jr. :albertein other than that, thanks for getting it done!

Weary
2011-04-01, 23:41
My main disbelief is that you would even speak to RFK Jr. :albertein other than that, thanks for getting it done!
My neice worked summers for Robert Kennedy Jr., while belatedly going to law school. She has nothing but praise for the guy.

Lugnut
2011-04-01, 23:43
I admire his teeth. :angel:

rcli4
2011-04-02, 00:29
My neice worked summers for Robert Kennedy Jr., while belatedly going to law school. She has nothing but praise for the guy.

The man does what he says he will do. I have delt with a lot of Washington folks over the years, he is a giant among men in my opinion. I don't agree with a lot he believes in, but he truely believes it and is not talking shit to gain favor or cash. The man tells the truth as he sees it.

Clyde

Lugnut
2011-04-02, 00:38
His Dad was a decent man so maybe some of it rubbed off. If He's okay with Clyde I may have to change my opinion.

Tin Man
2011-04-02, 09:04
His Dad was a decent man so maybe some of it rubbed off. If He's okay with Clyde I may have to change my opinion.

Nah, Clyde's good people.